Reply to this topicStart new topic
Hard Disk recorder: does this exist?
2Bdecided
post Jul 16 2002, 16:53
Post #1

ReplayGain developer

Group: Developer
Member No.: 409

I'm looking for a portable, stand-alone, battery powered unit that can record digital audio onto hard disk.

Imagine I have a removable hard disk drive which I slot into this portable device. The HDD is formatted and empty. When I push a button on the device (record), it takes whatever digital audio data is coming in, and dumps it to the HDD as a .wav file. It continues to stream the digital audio data to the HDD until I press another button (stop).

Clearly I could do this using a laptop PC with a decent USB soundcard. However, it seems like complete overkill. Is there a device (or is it even possible) that can control a HDD using a simple microprocessor (maybe aided by a HDD controler chip - I don't know!), and record digital audio directly to a .wav file.

When I get back home, I simply remove the HDD, slam it into my main PC, and load the .wav file(s) into Cool Edit.

Any ideas? Does it exist? Could it exist? Why is this a really difficult thing to do?

Thanks,
David.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
amp
post Jul 16 2002, 17:10
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 837

Well, it's not exactly what are you looking for but Nomad Jukebox (I/II/III) and Archos Jukebox are able to record, then you go to your PC and 'download' the saved tracks via USB. However, NJB recording quality is crap, I don't know about Archos.
+Quote Post
wolfman
post Jul 16 2002, 17:12
Post #3

Member No.: 823

such things are used in hq studios. they are big and cost a lot.
maybe a palmtop + an external soundcard + a hd would do, but hd's have to use some watts to get that 5400 or 7200 rpm........
+Quote Post
amp
post Jul 16 2002, 17:26
Post #4

Member No.: 837

Some pro hdd based recorders are this and this (expensive both).
+Quote Post
bfourney
post Jul 16 2002, 18:07
Post #5

Member No.: 598

Amp's right, there are some units, but the good ones are pro and expensive. Most pros would usually use DAT or Minidisc if they needed something small, or ADAT if they want to haul around a large box. Only recenly has more affordable hard disc based portables that record shown up, I beleive marantz makes one. However there have been hard disc based rack recorders for quite some time, almost every pro manufacturer has one.
+Quote Post
ssamadhi97
post Jul 16 2002, 18:08
Post #6

Group: Developer (Donating)
Member No.: 1305

i think he's looking for a more stealthy device.. think Sony PCM-M1 DAT, only with a hdd instead of DAT.. biggrin.gif

at least that's what I would start drooling over tongue.gif

--------------------
A riddle is a short sword attached to the next 2000 years.
+Quote Post
dreamliner77
post Jul 16 2002, 20:12
Post #7

Member No.: 2427

Alesis now has ADAT machines out that record to hard disk. The machine has two removable hard disk slots.
+Quote Post
2Bdecided
post Jul 18 2002, 09:11
Post #8

ReplayGain developer

Group: Developer
Member No.: 409

i think he's looking for a more stealthy device.. think Sony PCM-M1 DAT, only with a hdd instead of DAT.. 

Exactly!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2014 - 16:57