IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
MIDI controller can be used as a sound card?
boyzzz
post Oct 17 2005, 18:19
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 25176

can they used as a sound card such as m-audio Ozonic?
I am planing to buy a sound card (firebox) for my iMac, for ouput to m-audio bx8.
Can I juz buy a Midi Controller and used it to output?

If it can , is the sound above average?

Thanks
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
kdo
post Oct 17 2005, 20:10
Post #2

Group: Members (Donating)
Member No.: 1812

QUOTE (boyzzz @ Oct 17 2005, 07:19 PM)
can they used as a sound card such as m-audio Ozonic?
I am planing to buy a sound card (firebox) for my iMac, for ouput to m-audio bx8.
Can I juz buy a Midi Controller and used it to output?

If it can , is the sound above average?

I don't get it.
iMac is a computer and it doesn't have its own soundcard?

If this iMac of yours doesn't have a soundcard, then you need one - either usual internal (built-in), or external (e.g. via USB or firewire).
Some MIDI workstations may have a soundcard in them but I really doubt that a mere MIDI controller would have one.
Looking at m-audio Ozonic specs I don't see anywhere mention of soundcard capabilities, so most likely it doesn't have it. What is the purpose of this 4x4 audio routing? Is it really so usefull? Seems like it is just a mixer done in hardware. why not do it in software.

Edit: Aha... here in this review they say "M-Audio Ozone" has a USB soundcard. And I noticed another review where they say that Ozonic is a soundcard too.
Well, then I don't know.
Some pimped up MIDI controllers these thingies are. interesting.

If you're planning to make professional recordings then of course you need a better quality soundcard. Try searching the forum what people recommend.

This post has been edited by kdo: Oct 17 2005, 20:27
+Quote Post
mrniss
post Oct 17 2005, 21:05
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 21824

the m-audio ozonic is unique in that it's a midi controller AND an audio interface. however, it is the ONLY keyboard midi controller you can buy that will give you a soundcard; if you buy any other midi keyboard you won't be getting any sound out of it.

i guess the whole point of the ozonic was to make a one stop portable solution for recording with laptops and the like, pretty good plan... i've yet to see one in use as a primary sound card though.

if you need low latency, go with the firebox. if latency doesn't matter, the ozonic will probably work fine, and you get a keyboard and a couple preamps to boot =D
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2014 - 08:14