Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Noise on my laptop's line out (Read 3965 times) previous topic - next topic

Noise on my laptop's line out

I'm recording from my laptop on my PC (from my laptop's line-out to my PC's line-in), but there is electrical noise in the background (noticeable when the audio is low).

It disappears completely when I run my laptop off the battery.

What's the best solution for this? Better soundcard, cables....?

Reply #1
Laptop bult-in soundcard isn't always very good...
I've repaired 4 laptopts during the last month and ALL of them had background noise in line-out. If you need high quality audio on your laptop go for an external soundcard (ie Aureon 7.1 firewire if you have firewire connection on it)

Best Regards, Giorgio

Reply #2
I'm not a laptop user but I've read that complaint a number of times. My strong impression is that it is almost always poorly filtered power supply noise - the basic stuff the laptop lives on. I've also seen, without paying any great attention, lists of which laptops work for recording and which don't (don't in the sense of being able to make decent recordings). since the power supplies are not readily replaced with another having better characteristics, you are probably left with battery use. Different soundcards , cables, or any after-the-fact fix is unlikely to be of any benefit.

If you have somehow recorded decent audio on your laptop and just wish to transfer it to another computer, soundcard to soundcard is not the way to go. If you have ethernet on your laptop, transferring the file that way should avoid the noise and it to be highly preferred anyway. Perhaps you have just not been specific enough about what you are doing, but it reads like a D to A to A to D transfer, which is never the best idea, no matter what soundcards. It is preferable to always keep the information in the digital domain if possible.

It ethernet isn't a possibility, then digital to digital via the soundcards would definitely be better. If the laptop has no digital out then an external soundcard with digital out might help. If you can't use firewire (best), look for USB with its own power supply. Too many USB cards (but not all) will pick up the computer's power supply noise on the audio stream if they are using that power for their own operation.

Reply #3
I'm not a laptop user but I've read that complaint a number of times. My strong impression is that it is almost always poorly filtered power supply noise - the basic stuff the laptop lives on. I've also seen, without paying any great attention, lists of which laptops work for recording and which don't (don't in the sense of being able to make decent recordings). since the power supplies are not readily replaced with another having better characteristics, you are probably left with battery use. Different soundcards , cables, or any after-the-fact fix is unlikely to be of any benefit.

If the laptop has no digital out then an external soundcard with digital out might help. If you can't use firewire (best), look for USB with its own power supply. Too many USB cards (but not all) will pick up the computer's power supply noise on the audio stream if they are using that power for their own operation.

I agree , and in support of this: my own setup uses the laptop to run foobar 2K, with source files on an external drive, and USB connections from external drive to laptop to home theater receiver (which has a USB input).  The receiver is essentially the soundcard in this sort of setup.  When using the laptop AC adaptor, there is low-level audible noise at the loudspeakers; when running the laptop on battery power, it's dead quiet.

Reply #4
For those of you who are having problems with noise from your speakers when your laptop is plugged to the AC power source try this it worked perfect for me with a hercules rmx usb powered dj midi controller with onboard soundcard also usb powered connected to my dell xps 15 laptop. Simply disconnect the earth connection on the ac plug powering the laptop power supply, for 3 pin ac plugs like uk and ireland the noise can be heard the moment the earth pin makes the connection on the socket and as this is the longest pin on the plug it makes a connection to the ac outlet before the live and negative pins connect, and upon hearing the noise just from the earth connector I simply tore a piece of plastic from a plastic bag and placed it over the earth hole in the socket and plugged it in effectivly disconnecting the earth fixed it completely for me. I hope this helps as I have had terrible problems trying to find a solution. 
allig8or

Reply #5
Welcome.
Before posting information suggesting a mash up of plastic bags and electrical supplies, you might want to check the date of the posting 

Reply #6
Defeating the third prong of an AC outlet does reduce or eliminate noise in some audio gear, but it should not be used as a long term solution for safety reasons. Read about how people die from this at the link.

I bought a very affordable Behringer UCA202 for my notebook, based on positive comments in this forum, and it solved my similar problem perfectly, plus being multipurpose it can serve for other applications later, if I choose.

EDIT: OOPS, OLD POST. But my safety warning still applies so I will leave it for any searching leading to this thread in the future.