Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Artistic use of (video) compression artifacts (Read 2810 times) previous topic - next topic

Artistic use of (video) compression artifacts

I was watching a music video when I noticed a familiar effect was being applied. It struck me that they looked like video compression artifacts from a corrupted stream - like something you would have found on Kazaa in 2002.

The thing is, it's readily apparent these compression-artifact-like were added intentionally, given how they synchronize with the video, how other layers of video playing over it have no artifacts, etc. This is the first artistic use of an effect that appears to be a compression artifact, that I've seen.

Here is the link, the most heavily artifacted portions are around 1:14 and 2:15.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8h3tGS0h8E