Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: manual-for the moment, only start with foobar (Read 16573 times) previous topic - next topic

manual-for the moment, only start with foobar

Reply #32
I think it is a very bad idea to copy your website like you did.
You basicly created your own structure instead of integrating with the current.
A lot of the same information is at several locations now which makes it a lot harder to navigate.

Reply #33
I knew it was not the  best, but as the information is splitted into the other guides pages I thought it would be even harder to switch between endless pages about foobar.. I will try to search a better way to stick the whole information

and if it does not fit at all the wiki spirit, Deleting the whole content is not a problem as I still have my website (at least I hope it could be done)

as it is quite a controversial topic, I just switched off the main page of the advanced guide page. When a solution will be found, I will put it back.. I don't want to create a real mess..

Any opinion about this matter: integrating my website with it's basic structure or trying to improve the wiki by splitting the information into the already existing pages would be highly appreciated

Reply #34
I've improved the FAQ page, I think it's complementary with ths SH/SC one:
http://eolindel.free.fr/foobar/index2.html

(it's not finished)

the links page is also improved a bit.

I improved the FAQ page, and I put it into the Wiki (with slight modifications)

Reply #35
the DSP page and replaygain have been edited (minor edits about the limiters and the principle of replaygain)

Reply #36
I know I'm going to be criticized for my attitude here.  And I mean no offense by anything that I'm about to say.  I think it's great that you're putting so much effort into helping the foobar community.

But I do feel that your explanations are hasty and can be very unclear.  I think you focus too much on the amount of information that you offer rather than the quality of its content.  I don't think you put much discretion or editing into what you write, and will end up confusing people more than you help them.

For example, I was looking at the FAQ of the wiki tonight and noticed your explanation for putting panels above the playlist:

To set the panels above your playlist, just use list all toolbars, then add the panels/toolbars/visualiszations that you want to use. Organize them as you want them to be displayed. And finally just use the minimum height values of the corresponding panels. As it is not an usual way to use the toolbar, you may have some crappy things. Use it knowing that it may create some dislaying problems. Musicmusic may fix this into the next version of UI columns.

"just use list all toolbars" isn't really a complete explanation to me.  A new user would have no idea where to find this option.  And since this is probably one of the top five asked questions about customizing foobar, the explanation in the wiki should be much more clearly stated.  I once wrote an answer to that question in the FAQ section of the wiki which I felt was very thorough, but I have no idea what has happened to it.

I know the wiki is meant for public editing, but please, and I'm addressing everyone here, really consider your decisions in editing it.  The FAQ section is very messy right now.  Very haphazard.  It ought to be divided into sections.  I'm also reminded of the foo_playcount fiasco that occurred when someone changed the encouraged tag standards page without consulting anyone or even announcing that he was doing it.

I know I'm kind of being a Nazi about this, but my concern is with the users.  I know some of you will just say "well why don't you do something about it."  Well, because I'm lazy, because I think just editing the contributions myself would be rude, and because even though I could clean things up in the wiki, they shouldn't really get too messed up in the first place.

I can't stop people from editing the wiki, and I wouldn't want to.  But before anyone adds content, please be careful.

Reply #37
What you say about putting panels above our playlist is quite amazing as I didn't delete anything from the FAQ (or if I did it, it was totally unwanted!!), I just added content after what was already existing. And it's strange as you don't appear anywhere into the history of this page, maybe it's a technical problem?

Anyway, your point of vue is very interesting. I tried to write the FAQ with minimal answers as I thought that detailed answers for a lot of questions would be quite boring to read. But it seems that I was wrong. And as you said, the wiki can be edited by anyone, if you find that some questions are futile, with bad answers and Co, you can edit or delete them, but for my part, as I did them, it's hard for me to know which one are to be edited, It won't annoy me as I know that I'm far from being perfect and far from knowing everything about foobar !!

Moreover, I asked for some help to know how to organize the foobar section into the Knowledgebase Project forum, but I got no answer. If some people would like to do some brainstorming about it, it would be nice.

edit: anyway, this topic was created to explain everyone's point of vue about my "work" and it shows that it is useful

Reply #38
I added links into the first steps related to their contents, as a consequence, people wanting to know more about the content of the steps won't have to search into the site.

Reply #39
I changed my site structure, pointing to a specific page should be more easy now (more easy to help people with accurate links).

I'm doing the foo uie explorer page and the core page is coming