Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Opus and Gapless
FunkyRes
post Feb 10 2014, 22:26
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9668

I understand that since opus resamples 44.1 kHz to 44 kHz that it won't be gapless if you just rip each track from redbook CD and encode.

But, is the codec capable of gapless?

e.g. if I rip a CD to a single wav file, resample with sox, then split according to the cue sheet - then is it capable of gapless or is the only way it can be gapless is by album as single file with media player that can use cue sheet?
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Anakunda
post Feb 10 2014, 23:09
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 63072

Why not to convert a two subsequent tracks of a reliably gapless source (like live album) to two standalone tracks in Opus format, then convert both tracks back to multi-track container and see in a Wave editor the junction. I see no gap.
+Quote Post
jmvalin
post Feb 11 2014, 02:47
Post #3

Xiph.org Speex developer

Group: Developer
Member No.: 3134

QUOTE (FunkyRes @ Feb 10 2014, 16:26) *
I understand that since opus resamples 44.1 kHz to 44 kHz that it won't be gapless if you just rip each track from redbook CD and encode.

But, is the codec capable of gapless?

e.g. if I rip a CD to a single wav file, resample with sox, then split according to the cue sheet - then is it capable of gapless or is the only way it can be gapless is by album as single file with media player that can use cue sheet?

Actually, you can do gapless in Opus *even* with 44.1 audio since opus-tools is able to properly do the resampling and LPC extrapolation. BTW, gapless isn't so much about the codec itself, but the combination of a proper encapsulation and good encoding tools.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th November 2014 - 15:22