Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Eac Offset Problems (Read 4688 times) previous topic - next topic

Eac Offset Problems

I have three CD drives and all three get different offset numbers on different CDs, I can't get two CDs to match up with the same number....and all three CD drives are giving me the SAME numbers for each CD! They are all different models and brands so the numbers should NOT be the same.

I am getting numbers like 1126, 3693, 2618, 658....

I tried the EAC offset CD and that didn't help either. I tried with the built in NT calls, ASPI, an VOB ASAPI...I am using the newest version of EAC.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Eac Offset Problems

Reply #1
What drives do you have?

Eac Offset Problems

Reply #2
Liteon LTR-12101B
Samsung SD-612S (flashed with Creative labs DVD1242E firmware...same drive)
TDK CDRW241040X (veloCD)

Eac Offset Problems

Reply #3
I'm not sure what causes this behaviour, but let's try to determine the offsets through another way. From the User Reported Drive Features Database on my site:

Lite-On CD-RW 12/10/32 (LTR-12101B):
Read Offset Correction: +688 samples
Write Offset: -30 samples
Verified by 3 users

Samsung DVD 12x (SD-612):
Read Offset Correction: +704 samples
Write Offset: n/a
Verified by 1 user

The values given for the Lite-On are verified by three different persons and thus you may assume these are correct numbers. Enter these values for the Lite-On in EAC. Don't forget the Write Offset! Then burn an offset test cd with EAC (EAC -> Drive Options -> Write -> Create Offset Test CD). Since the cd is written with a corrected offset, the cd has offset 0. Now you can use this cd to determine the offset of your other drives.

Btw, you can use a rewritable disc!

Eac Offset Problems

Reply #4
Thanks...

I just tried with the Lite-on. I put in the read and write offsets stuff. But, then I tried to test that drive with the offset CD I had just made and it is telling me it is +658 (which is 30 off...same as the write offset!!). Any idea why it is doing that?

Eac Offset Problems

Reply #5
I tried with the Samsung drive...30 off again. For some reason, it wrote the CD with out the offset correction I think :/

Eac Offset Problems

Reply #6
Focus on one driver (writer)
Try your best to find atleast two (three IMO) matching values, borrow CDs from friends etc.
Once you got this it's time to verify =)
Make an offset CD.
What you get now when you use this CD fr read offset detection is a combined read/write offset.
What you want is those two separated!
ok... you got the read offset from the cd in the db (hopefully )
logic:
read offset=combined read/write offset-write offset
et voila!
from this you have both read and write offset separated.

Eac Offset Problems

Reply #7
Jobarr: I just tried with the Lite-on. I put in the read and write offsets stuff. But, then I tried to test that drive with the offset CD I had just made and it is telling me it is +658 (which is 30 off...same as the write offset!!). Any idea why it is doing that?
I tried with the Samsung drive...30 off again. For some reason, it wrote the CD with out the offset correction I think :/

Yep, somehow you wrote the test cd with offset 0 instead of -30. That's not a problem, you just have to keep in mind to add +30 samples to the determined offsets. The +658 you found for the Lite-On is 658+30=688... With this cd you can determine the offset of every drive you have.

Eac Offset Problems

Reply #8
Alright thanks
I got all 3 drives set up now...Very strange, the TDK and Lite-on are BOTH +688!

Eac Offset Problems

Reply #9
The TDK is a Lite-On
Older TDK drives (up to the early 16 speed models) were Plextor drives. The newer ones are Lite-One drives.

Eac Offset Problems

Reply #10
Ah ha! Makes sense  I was guessing that would be the case.
Strange because it is very loud and the other Lite-on is almost silent.

Do you know if it is the same as a certain Lite-on model? I mean, could I use Lite-on firmware with it, or is it a SPECIAL drive just for TDK?

Eac Offset Problems

Reply #11
The 12x and 24x Lite-On are completely different drives. That would probably explain the difference in noise.

I cannot say whether or not you'll be able to flash the TDK with a Lite-On firmware. With some rebadged drives you can simply flash the real manufacturer's firmware in it, with other drives it requires a trick (like pressing the eject button during bootup on older rebadged Plextor drives) and some drives just cannot be flashed with the real manufacturer's firmware. In this last case some HEX editing usually helps, but not always...

You *could* try to flash the TDK with Lite-On's firmware, but I take no responsibility . While the chances upon failure are very small, there is a chance your drive may remain dead after the update.

Eac Offset Problems

Reply #12
Oh well, I tried to see if Lite-on's flash program would even recognize it and it doesn't so it won't even let me try