Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Apple Lossless in Volkswagen (Read 2834 times) previous topic - next topic

Apple Lossless in Volkswagen

Hi guys, new member here with a question.  So I acquired some 88.2kHz/24 bit Apple Lossless Rolling Stones albums and discovered my iPod cannot play them.  Is there some type of an FM transmitter or hacked firmware I can use on my iPod, so that I can play these in my car?  As I understand it, iPod can only do up to 48kHz/24 bit and that's a quality degradation I don't want to take.

Preferably, I would like something that I could hook up a USB flash drive to. 

Vehicle is a 2008 Jetta Se and I have the AUX cable to my stereo, inside my glove box (not the MDI). 

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you.

Reply #1
Hi guys, new member here with a question.  So I acquired some 88.2kHz/24 bit Apple Lossless Rolling Stones albums and discovered my iPod cannot play them.  Is there some type of an FM transmitter or hacked firmware I can use on my iPod, so that I can play these in my car?  As I understand it, iPod can only do up to 48kHz/24 bit and that's a quality degradation I don't want to take.

Convert it to 44.1 kHz and burn that onto a normal Audio CD (or do a high-bitrate encoding in a lossy format your car radio or iPod supports, or any supported lossless format - this should also work with 24 bit). There should be no quality degradation detectable by human ears whatsoever.

As to why: I recommend reading http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

FM transmitters have a high chance of delivering quality degradation detectable by ears (noise and limited bandwidth).

Reply #2

FM transmitters have a high chance of delivering quality degradation detectable by ears (noise and limited bandwidth).

FM stereo is limited to 16 khz, and with really good transmitter and receiver you can get about 75 dB S/N.  This is equivalent to 32 kHz/13 bit.  IF that is good enough for you, why is 48/24 (or 44.1/16) not good enough?

Reply #3
As I understand it, iPod can only do up to 48kHz/24 bit
Both of which are considerably in excess of the thresholds of hearing of most adults.

and that's a quality degradation I don't want to take.
Any competent down-convertor would achieve this completely transparently, so that no would ever hear any difference. Still, you shouldn’t “acquire” such pointlessly oversampled files if you don’t want to have to down-convert them for a majority of entry- and mid-level equipment.

Reply #4
So I acquired some 88.2kHz/24 bit Apple Lossless Rolling Stones albums

Are the sources actually digital (and that freq/bitdepth) or rather analog tapes from forty-some years ago?
... I live by long distance.