Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Copy one field to another only if not empty (Read 1207 times) previous topic - next topic

Copy one field to another only if not empty

I just found a very unpleasant feature of foobar. That is copying fields even if they are totally empty. So now I ended up with one tag being mostly filled with a questionmark (empty field I think?). I'd really need some help now to tidy up the mess, and more over, I'd like to know if there is a way to copy one field to the other only if field 1 is not empty, so I do not end up with empty fields.

Reply #1
If you are talking about to hide displaying empty fields you can use the [%Field_title_format%]
and there is a way to copy one field to another using third party component using simple title formatting.

hope this helps.

Reply #2
Thanks for your reply.
I used the normal tf editor that you see from the properties dialogue. I found that a quite powerful tool, but I didnt quite expect it to copy empty (or rather, non-existant) fields onto existing ones. In fact, I copied "unsynced lyrics" over to "lyrics", which resulted in many emptied lyrics fields in the case where there was no unsynced lyrics tag. Oh well, lesson learned.

I could imagine there is a third party editor that lets me do what I intended to do only I dont know which one that could be.

Reply #3
I was talking about the Masstagger, but for copying one field to another so that empty fields don't mess with the previously filled fields you could use titleformat query to check if the field isn't empty then only to update, something like $iflonger(s1,s2,then,else).

Reply #4
You could search for lyrics MISSING prior to opening the properties.

Reply #5
Thank you both prateek and Frank for your suggestions, I see now there are quite a few ways to get this done without losing any field values.