Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: ABXing... Sound Cards? (Read 5395 times) previous topic - next topic

ABXing... Sound Cards?

Hi,

I have Asus STX Essence sound card right now and I want to ABX it compared to my Realtek onboard sound. I understand ABX test wasn't exactly designed for this. The best method I can think of is to just plug the cable into sound card vs onboard sound and try to hear a difference. That's hardly scientific, leaves a long gap in which there's no music, and is very awkward (considering the positioning of my computer relative to the speakers). But I can't think of a better way to try to test the two sound solutions.

Just putting this out in here in case I'm missing something.

Thanks

ABXing... Sound Cards?

Reply #1
ABX can tell you if you hear a difference.

RMAA can numerically quantify the difference in accuracy of the two devices.

Generally, knowing which device is more accurate and by what margin is more interesting, and its certainly much easier to determine, so I would recommend RMAA.

ABXing... Sound Cards?

Reply #2
I have Asus STX Essence sound card right now and I want to ABX it compared to my Realtek onboard sound. I understand ABX test wasn't exactly designed for this. The best method I can think of is to just plug the cable into sound card vs onboard sound and try to hear a difference. That's hardly scientific, leaves a long gap in which there's no music, and is very awkward (considering the positioning of my computer relative to the speakers). But I can't think of a better way to try to test the two sound solutions.

Just putting this out in here in case I'm missing something.k.

oth
Take the better card (I presume the STX) and record some music with that card looped through itself, and also looped through the Realtek.

Then edit the two files for timing and adjust levels.

ABX in Foobar2000.

From an experimental design standpoint, any colorations in the record side of the STX becomes a constant.

For a control, ABX both cards against the original file you played, again ensuring that timings and levels match very closely

1 msec timing and 0.1 dB level match is a good standard.

Don't be surprised if you get null results for all 3 comparisons.  STX/Realtek, STX/origional, Realtix/Origional.

To obtain positive results, repeat the looping/recording about 20 times. The STX will be tough, but there is a real hope with the realtek

Here are files that someone else made like these:

http://ethanwiner.com/aes/

Under "Soundblaster generations"

ABXing... Sound Cards?

Reply #3

Generally, knowing which device is more accurate and by what margin is more interesting, and its certainly much easier to determine, so I would recommend RMAA.

How do you actually use RMAA?

ABXing... Sound Cards?

Reply #4

Get a cable that loops the output of the audio interface to one of its inputs or the input of another audio interface.  Configure RMAA, set levels and run the automated test and analysis. SWave data.

The use of an audio interface with very high quality is necessary when the audio interface you are testing has asymmetrical performance. Many low cost audio interfaces have much higher quality playback than recording.

ABXing... Sound Cards?

Reply #5

I know what you mean. I never managed to make much sense of it myself.

No idea if it's installed correctly, set up correctly, working correctly or how to make sense of whatever results it does produce.

ABXing... Sound Cards?

Reply #6

I know what you mean. I never managed to make much sense of it myself.

No idea if it's installed correctly, set up correctly, working correctly or how to make sense of whatever results it does produce.

RMAA does a pretty good job of testing itself once installed.  If it works at all it is likely to be producing a useful report.

Specifically what about its reports seem opaque to you?

ABXing... Sound Cards?

Reply #7
Too much new all at once I think.