Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Nero Releases FREE Reference Quality MPEG-4 Audio Encoder (Read 464614 times) previous topic - next topic

Nero Releases FREE Reference Quality MPEG-4 Audio Encoder

Reply #25
works great with mine!

P4 @ 4.2Ghz, XP Pro

Hurrah Ivan!

I'm definitely excited about this. My ONLY complaint is that it doesn't support input via FLAC files. All my music is archived as FLAC, so I'm going to have to decode the songs to WAV before I can do anything. Any plans on allowing for other types of input in the future?

You could use the Foobar CLI encoder right? Just to encode from FLAC. Sureley foobar can do that

Edit: Yes, just tried it, used foobar to convert from FLAC to the ref encoder, and it works.

Alright, I'll go ahead and do that. Am I able to do 2-pass encoding with a FLAC file? What would the parameters look like using foobar's CLI? I think I have to put %s in there somewhere because doing 2-pass won't work through a pipe.

Reply #26
1. My fb2k testing command line is: -q 0.8 -if %s -of %d

It encodes insanely fast (3 times as fast as for vorbis or mp3/lame), but finally fb2k complains:

"Error flushing file (Object not found) : file://U:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Squeller\Desktop\Bedächtig, nicht eilen.mp4"

The insanely fast bit is where it is decoding the original file, into wav which is why it is fast.

I have no idea about why you get that error though. Have you tried saving to a different location?

Alright, I'll go ahead and do that. Am I able to do 2-pass encoding with a FLAC file? What would the parameters look like using foobar's CLI? I think I have to put %s in there somewhere because doing 2-pass won't work through a pipe.

-q 0.1 -2pass -if %s -of %d  (for quality 0.1)

Reply #27
This looks really promising!
Will this implementation of aac work on an iPod?

Our encoder is fully compliant with the MPEG-4 standard. For support issues about the iPod, please contact Apple: http://www.apple.com/support/

Reply #28
thank you developers! 
this is a nice and much appreciated step into the right direction.

now raise hands, who's in for the GUI? 
Nothing but a Heartache - Since I found my Baby ;)

Reply #29
How about adding an option to the AAC Encoder utility to create files with a .m4a file extension instead of .mp4 (for all the iTunes and iPod users out there) to avoid having to manually rename files or having to run an extra program/script to rename file extension fom .mp4 to .m4a? Thanks.

Reply #30
Note that the encoder accepts data from standard input, but you will want to give the -ignorelength option if you do this. So for fastest encoding with foobar or similar frontends, please use

-ignorelength -if - -of %d

Reply #31
I've got some problems with the command line for foobar2000 and 2 questions.

It encodes insanely fast (3 times as fast as for vorbis or mp3/lame), but in the end the converter crashes and fb2k complains:

"Error flushing file (Object not found) : file://U:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Squeller\Desktop\Bedächtig, nicht eilen.mp4"

I think there's no output in the end? Processor issue here? (I've got an old daddy Intel P III)

2. I'm not into the nero/aac stuff. Where is this codecs place between vorbis, lame mp3, musepack? Whats the target audience?

Thx, people.

I'm using "-q 0.6 -if - -of %d" and it works fine. Use "-" for pipe.

Reply #32
How about adding an option to the AAC Encoder utility to create files with a .m4a file extension instead of .mp4 (for all the iTunes and iPod users out there) to avoid having to manually rename files or having to run an extra program/script to rename file extension fom .mp4 to .m4a? Thanks.

Huh?

Simply specify .m4a as the extension.

Reply #33

-q 0.1 -2pass -if %s -of %d  (for quality 0.1)

Thanks Jim. Worked like a charm. Yeah... I'm definitely digging this new encoder. I just need to see the differences between single/2-pass modes. Anyone plan on doing any new ABX tests?

Reply #34

I've got some problems with the command line for foobar2000 and 2 questions.

It encodes insanely fast (3 times as fast as for vorbis or mp3/lame), but in the end the converter crashes and fb2k complains:

I think there's no output in the end? Processor issue here? (I've got an old daddy Intel P III)

2. I'm not into the nero/aac stuff. Where is this codecs place between vorbis, lame mp3, musepack? Whats the target audience?

Thx, people.

Use -ignorelength in that case:

-ignorelength : Ignores length signaled by WAV headers of input file.
                Useful for certain frontends using stdin.

Reply #35

foobar's CLI can specify the output extension. Or you can use something like ezXTN--a nifty little batch extension converter (just Google it) with drag-and-drop capabilities.

Reply #36

Doesn't work, also with the -ignorelength, as suggested by garf.

"Encoder has terminated prematurely with code -1073741795; please re-check parameters"

I think I'll have to look into a cmd box and see what happens.

EDIT: -q 0.8 -if test.wav -of test.mp4  --> Windows reports a crash, cmd box stays alive, the encoder does only show up "type -h for help" and stuff.

Reply #37

An other question : those settings are correct or this is completely useless now ?

Code: [Select]
|   Old Presets     |   Quality Levels    |
|      Tape         |        -q=0.0       |
|      Radio        |        -q=0.1       |
|      Internet     |        -q=0.2       |
|      Streaming    |        -q=0.3       |
|      Normal       |        -q=0.5       |
|      Extreme      |        -q=0.6       |
|      Audiophile   |        -q=0.8       |
|      Transcoding  |        -q=1.0       |

I don't really understand what you mean here.

I mean, with the old interface we can set some presets for the quality mode. So, could you provide some equivalent values for the quality levels with this new encoder ?

Thanks.

Reply #38

Thank you. I've actually changed it right after you have mentioned a couple of posts earlier.

Doesn't work, also with the -ignorelength, as suggested by garf.

"Encoder has terminated prematurely with code -1073741795; please re-check parameters"

I think I'll have to look into a cmd box and see what happens.

You should maybe try to change the location of the encoder's exe, ie c:/encoders/nero/.  I sometimes have that kind of issues when I leave the encoder in a folder on the desktop.

Reply #39
Processor issue here? (I've got an old daddy Intel P III)

The Pentium 3 doesn't support SSE2. I hope there's a regular binary up soon.

Thx, people.

Low bitrates (published encoder supports LC-AAC, HE-AACv1 and HE-AACv2)

http://www.mp3-tech.org/tests/aac_48/results.html

Medium bitrates (the new version is better and doesn't have that bug )

http://www.maresweb.de/listening-tests/mf-128-1/results.htm

I mean, with the old interface we can set some presets for the quality mode. So, could you provide some equivalent values for the quality levels with this new encoder ?

Thanks.

I don't think it makes sense  The new encoder is better and attains the same quality at lower bitrates, but a lot of listening tests would be needed to find a reliably correspondence from old settings to new settings.

Moreover, the old presets had approximate bitrates that were significantly off from what the old encoder really produced. You can find a lot of complaining about it in old threads on this forum. The new one just takes a quality level. Different people have different conceptions about what "Normal" should be, anyway.

Reply #40

Not a fix for your problem, but you can use "-q 0.8 -if - -of %d" since the encoder susports StdIn.

Crap, missed the second page. I should get some sleep.

Reply #41
It will encode on my computer but doesnt write header(?) so I cant play it in Winamp.

Reply #42
It will encode on my computer but doesnt write header(?) so I cant play it in Winamp.

Can you provide some more details? How did you encode, with what...

Reply #43

Thanks.

I don't think it makes sense  The new encoder is better and attains the same quality at lower bitrates, but a lot of listening tests would be needed to find a reliably correspondence from old settings to new settings.

Moreover, the old presets had approximate bitrates that were significantly off from what the old encoder really produced. You can find a lot of complaining about it in old threads on this forum. The new one just takes a quality level. Different people have different conceptions about what "Normal" should be, anyway.

I guess that means users should try out different settings for themselves to determine a q value that they want?

I've been trying this out and i love it. Cant really tell the difference in 2pass yet but having a cli for nero that can output to a m4a is great. (using fb2k) Can we put in a q of say .385 ? or does it have to be just one number (.3/.4/.5)

thanks.

Reply #44
what is minimum bitrate for 5.1 encoding

Reply #45
I've been trying this out and i love it. Cant really tell the difference in 2pass yet but having a cli for nero that can output to a m4a is great. (using fb2k) Can we put in a q of say .385 ? or does it have to be just one number (.3/.4/.5)

NeroAACEnc.exe accept fractional value.
-q 0.425 produce around 128kbps.

Reply #46
I guess that means users should try out different settings for themselves to determine a q value that they want?

Pretty much. "It depends on what you want to do and how much quality you want" 

Can we put in a q of say .385 ? or does it have to be just one number (.3/.4/.5)

You can use fractional values.

BTW. Using 2-pass with VBR makes no sense  VBR will just use how many bits it needs.

Reply #47

Can you provide some more details? How did you encode, with what...

sure 
encoded with commandline: neroaacenc.exe -q 0.5 -if j:\1.wav -of j:\1.aac
now its encoding for about 30sec. original file: 53182kb encoded: 6809kb
dbpoweramp says length: 0:00  size: 0kb  original size: 0kb
Winamp crashes when trying to play it
cant transcode with Dbpoweramp

>>EDIT:<< woah I see it it is MP4 container so no AAC extension sorry for confusion

J.M.

Reply #48

NeroAACEnc.exe accept fractional value.
-q 0.425 produce around 128kbps.

Im currently also trying to find a value that produces ~128. And .4 for the stuff i listen to is comming out around 130. Thats why i was saying like .385 or something would produce 128.

Thanks tho

BTW. Using 2-pass with VBR makes no sense smile.gif VBR will just use how many bits it needs.

Yeah i guess i was caught up in the moment and thinking video VBR. (2 pass VBR using xvid/divx etc) heheh

edit...

Hmmm using single pass created an audio file of 132kbps while a 2pass was 127kbps. Both sound the same to me ... just curious ...

Reply #49

Thank you. I've actually changed it right after you have mentioned a couple of posts earlier.

so that would make your new commandline:

"-q 0.6 -ignorelength -if - -of %d"

correct?