Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: flac files, little question (Read 7538 times) previous topic - next topic

flac files, little question

Hi

Please excuse in advance my bad english:

I'd like to ask you if somebody knows if foobar is able to play several flac files (with the "play all" function):

to be specific, when i select one flac file, and double-click on it, foobar play this file without any problems, and when i select 2 files or more (4,5....15) -not 16, because foobar (as far i know) isn't able to play more than 15 files at the same time- and select play in foobar (in my context menu) foobar play that several files with no issues, too...

but when in a folder with flac files (1, 2... or more) i click on "play all" i have the following error message:

"Unable to find a playable file"

and if i select one folder and click on "play all" (in order to play the files in the folder) the same messae appears

My only a/v codec pack is CCCP (and with just this codec pack i can play flac files... and many others a/v formats files) i tried to install oggvorbis, but ther is no difference, so i wonder is there's something i'm missing ??

Thanks in advance !

Reply #1
In a new playlist in foobar2000, use the File > Add Folder menu to add all files in a folder.

Also, to my knowledge, I don't think that foobar2000 has a limit on how many tracks can be in a playlist - I have one playlist at the moment with 4605 tracks in it.
lossyWAV -q X -a 4 -s h -A --feedback 2 --limit 15848 --scale 0.5 | FLAC -5 -e -p -b 512 -P=4096 -S- (having set foobar to output 24-bit PCM; scaling by 0.5 gives the ANS headroom to work)

Reply #2
I din't say that fb is not able to play more than 15 files, i meaned that you can't open more than 15 files at one time:

try to select 16 files and riht click on your mouse, you'll see that there is nothing in your context menu... select 15 files you'll see 2 options in your context menu !

and i don't use the playlist, so could you tell me (or not) if it's possible to do what i asked for ?

Reply #3
I think the 15+ problem may be a Vista issue:
See: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=59621

AFAIK this is more a Foobar2000/Windows issue than a FLAC issue.

C.

EDIT: Can't you just drag and drop into foobar?
PC = TAK + LossyWAV  ::  Portable = Opus (130)

Reply #4
Hi carpman

thanks for the fast reply

about the 15+ issue, i run vista, you're right, but i recently saw a post where somebody was saying that this problem will be fixed in the 9.6 release, so we'll see in time

and about my flac problem:
when you say "AFAIK this is more a Foobar2000/Windows issue than a FLAC issue. "

Does this mean that you're a linux user, and it's actually a windows (xp and vista) issue, or are you under  xp and you have no problem, at all ?

Thanx again, for your precious help

Edit: and yes i can drag and drop an entire folder with flac files to foobar, but i like to open my music files from explorer not from the foobar library, so i'd really like to know if someboby else has that issue, too (under vista/and/or xp)

Reply #5
and about my flac problem:
when you say "AFAIK this is more a Foobar2000/Windows issue than a FLAC issue. "

Does this mean that you're a linux user, and it's actually a windows (xp and vista) issue, or are you under  xp and you have no problem, at all ?

Have a look at the link:
-- "Windows Vista introduced this limitation for context menu entries that don't come from a dedicated shell extension."
-- "It's there so you don't accidentally run 35 exes or open 30 photoshop PSDs, grinding your system to oblivion."

I use fb2k 0.9.4.3 in XP.
I read somewhere in HA's fb2k forum, that there are also enqueue/play problems in XP relating to WMP's interaction/interference with the shell. Don't know if that's correct.
I never use the context menu [for this], but just tested it and I can only play/enqueue single files. As soon as I do a multiple selection, a dialogue box comes up warning me about loading multiple files and then when I click Yes, nothing happens.

Edit: and yes i can drag and drop an entire folder with flac files to foobar, but i like to open my music files from explorer not from the foobar library, so i'd really like to know if someboby else has that issue, too (under vista/and/or xp)

You can drag and drop from explorer as well as the foobar library.
That's what I do when I'm cleaning stuff up; drag from explorer to fb2k - which is why I've never needed the context menu.

Hope that helps.

C.

EDIT ["for this"]

Reply #6
Thanxs, very helpful, yes !

Reply #7
If you're really interested in this and don't mind messing around with Windows this thread may be useful.
But I can't help you beyond what I've said above.

C.

Reply #8
For the information, i found a weird way to play flac and m4a files with the "play all" function under foobar, and it works with winamp and wmp, too

The only player wich is able to play flac and m4a files with this function is jetaudio, so i had to install jetaudio, play some files of that formats, and i desinstall it, after that foobar winamp (and i assume many others players) are able to play flac and m4a (maybe some others formats too) with the "play all" function

Very weird but it seems that jetaudio is the only player able to overcome this windows restriction..

Reply #9
For the information, i found a weird way to play flac and m4a files with the "play all" function under foobar, and it works with winamp and wmp, too

The only player wich is able to play flac and m4a files with this function is jetaudio, so i had to install jetaudio, play some files of that formats, and i desinstall it, after that foobar winamp (and i assume many others players) are able to play flac and m4a (maybe some others formats too) with the "play all" function

Very weird but it seems that jetaudio is the only player able to overcome this windows restriction..

You need to set the PerceivedType as 'audio': http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322642