Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MFSL Led Zeppelin (Read 11275 times) previous topic - next topic

MFSL Led Zeppelin

I am considering spending about $200.00 on a Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab version of Led Zeppelin 2 right now, and am really really hoping someone here owns this. If you have even ever heard it, could you say how it sounds compared to the standard cd/vinyl releases? Its awefully expensive, but I really love Zep and i also love how some MOFI albums genuinly sound different and better than whats out there at record stores. I need details , details, details, cause I make about 7 bucks an hour and this is a serious investment for me. I'd just really appreciate any feedback. Remember, I don't care if it sounds a whole lot better, just that it sounds a little different and stuff. Thanks in advance.

MFSL Led Zeppelin

Reply #1
Thats right, no one on planet earth has ever heard this.

MFSL Led Zeppelin

Reply #2
I hear sarcasm. I've never heard MFSL Zep though. More's the pity; I bet it would sound fantastic.

Still though, I doubt they could possibly be truer to intent than Page's remasters. Unless, of course, you're a pretentious audiophile. At which point, you probably think you know the recording better than the guy who made it.

MFSL Led Zeppelin

Reply #3
I'm a little pretensious, nothing hardcore though  . I really don't care how jimmy page want's it to sound though. I mean, I have that  version. I want something that sounds a little different, ya know. I though I heard Page was doing yet another remaster, this time into surround for DVDA or SACD or something. I can't find any info on that either, which is a pity. Bidding already ended on the MFSL Zep2. I don't know, that was a lot of money when I have no idea what it sounds like. Its not like MFSL automatically entails better sound, at least in my all knowing pretensious opinion anyway. But I'd still love to hear from anyone who's heard it, deffinatly would make my day.

MFSL Led Zeppelin

Reply #4
I know it.

The MFSL discs I've heard were all really good-sounding, though there's no way I'd shell out $200 for one. $40 for a CD that I really enjoyed, maybe.

MFSL Led Zeppelin

Reply #5
I went to the MOFI site where they list all of their archives.
I didn't see Led Zeppelin in there anywhere.
This did not surprise me as I would have been shocked that Mr Page would allow anyone else to "tamper" with his music.
It is also not available by torrent or other "alternate" means.
I would seriously question whether this is genuine MFSL.

MFSL Led Zeppelin

Reply #6
Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab issued Led Zeppelin II on vinyl as MFSL 1-065 in November 1982. This was one of their "Original Master Recording" half-speed mastered issues. As far as I can tell, this was the only Led Zeppelin MFSL ever released on vinyl, and they never released any Led Zep on CD. You can see this MFSL release on allmusic.com if you look up LZ II there.

I have this LP. I saw the original post earlier but didn't reply because I probably only listened to it once after I bought it shortly after it was released. I had a decent Pioneer stereo receiver and turntable at the time but my speakers were not that great at the time. I really don't remember how it sounded, but I'm sure I was not disappointed with it after paying $18 for it.

A couple of years later I got into buying CDs, and the Zeppelin catalog was released on CD (I think this was about 1986), so that's what I listened to from then on. And I've been collecting LPs and CDs for a long time and have a lot to listen to, so I don't hear any one album that often. So, I can't really tell you what the MoFi sounds like for sure. I can tell you that it will probably not sound a lot different from the original LP and later CD releases, but a good MFSL copy will probably sound about as good as you will hear this album. It is on virgin vinyl and should be very quiet, was supposed to be transferred directly from the original master two track tape, and was released early enough by MoFi that they probably did a flat transfer so no juiced up EQ. On a good vinyl rig I'm pretty sure you would think it sounds better than the recent remaster that was released on CD.

There is also a 200 gram vinyl release of this by Classic Records that you can pick up for about $30 to $35 that should be at least a close second in SQ to the MoFi, so you might want to go for a copy of that instead of the MFSL.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention - YMMV. How something sounds is a matter of opinion and depends on lots of factors. If you want a good vinyl copy, find a Classic Records copy. If you want a good CD copy, find an old Atlantic Recording issue on CD, catalog # 19127-2. And if you just want to spend a lot more money, go for the MoFi vinyl.

MFSL Led Zeppelin

Reply #7
Yes, it was a Record, not a cd I was going to bid on. Thanks for your input. Maybe I'm the only one who thinks some of those zep albums could sound better. Especially 4. I mean, what the hell jimmy? Is that even an acoustic guitar on Stairway? Wheres the presence and power your acoustic had on Babe I'm Gonna Leave You? Shame...and 4 sticks couldn't be a more muddy mess. Anyway, thanks guys. I still wish I'd bought the damn thing...

MFSL Led Zeppelin

Reply #8
I hear sarcasm. I've never heard MFSL Zep though. More's the pity; I bet it would sound fantastic.

Still though, I doubt they could possibly be truer to intent than Page's remasters. Unless, of course, you're a pretentious audiophile. At which point, you probably think you know the recording better than the guy who made it.

Which releases are Page's remasters, and where could I get them?  Are these the compilation discs I've seen, or were the full albums remastered under his authority?  Sorry, I'm just unfamiliar.

Thanks.
"The way we see our world is better than yours."

MFSL Led Zeppelin

Reply #9
Maybe I'm the only one who thinks some of those paintings could look better. Especially the Mona Lisa. I mean, what the hell Leonardo? Is that even a smile on her face? Wheres the presence and power your smile had on John the Baptist? Shame...and those colours couldn't be a more muddy mess.

Artistic intent is everything.
Creature of habit.

MFSL Led Zeppelin

Reply #10
How's it going all? Yes, the MFSL Vinyl/LP release of LED ZEPPELIN II is a legitimate release. The MFSL Matrix number is MFSL 1-065. In my opinion, the MFSL Vinyl/LP version sounds better than any releases to date. MFSL was the first to clean up the sound quality in LED ZEPPELIN II by eliminating the distortion throughout the whole album. A fine example is the distortion in the beginning of "Whole Lotta Love." The MFSL release removed all of the distortion resulting in a restored, rejuvinated crisp and clear sound quality with high treble and powerful pumping bass. Recently, the Millennium Remasters Collection (These are Audiophile Archival Recordings with 24 Bit Mastering) released the LED ZEPPELIN II MFSL onto CD. I own it and it sounds incredible. I am new here seeing that I just joined today, I do not know if we are allowed to talk about Bootlegs on the forum. I do own the complete BEATLES MFSL collection on CD as well as THE ROLLING STONES MFSL CD collection. In my opinion, the Millennium Remasters Collection gave these MFSL Vinyl/LP collections a new life by updating them into the CD age. Take care.