IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Change MP3 file name, underscores lowercase.
hotsprout
post Apr 30 2013, 21:14
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 103319

I have a large MP3 collection, however recently I have bought MP3 albums from some ambient music sites where the the file name of the mp3's read in lowercase and underscores, hyphens etc, for example
0108_rush_moving_pictures-tom-saywer.mp3, 0208_rush_moving_pictures-red-barchetta.mp3 ,0308_rush_moving_pictures-yyz.mp3 where my mp3's are named 01-Tom Saywer.mp3.

Presumably is this because it makes it easier to manage and search a large collection on a windows pc, if this is so I would like to rename my mp3's like that, but I have'nt a clue how to do it. I have looked at foobar and mp3tag but am still none the wiser.

Thanks wink.gif

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Hotsoup
post Apr 30 2013, 21:53
Post #2

Member No.: 97852

Would that naming scheme make it easier for you? What's wrong with your older method?

At any rate, foobar makes this pretty simple work:
a) right click on selected files
b) file operations > rename > ...
c) in file operations setup under naming pattern, type this to make your downloads like all your other MP3's:
CODE
%track%-%title%

But if you want your old MP3's named like the downloads, you'd have to tweak that.
+Quote Post
56Nomad
post Apr 30 2013, 21:54
Post #3

Member No.: 12758

Start Windows Explorer. Navigate to where the files are. Right-click a file, select Rename. Do a search for "batch renamer" if you want to do a large amount at one time, but otherwise, you don't need any special software to rename a file.

A space in a file name on a web page shows up as "%20" when you try to download it. This confuses lots of people, so it used to be common to uses dashes and underscores in place of a space, but there's no advantage in renaming all your files, other than for esthetic reasons.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th December 2014 - 03:39