Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: fb2k+other programs show different values from tags / Which ID3 to use (Read 1528 times) previous topic - next topic

fb2k+other programs show different values from tags / Which ID3 to use

I am also noticing a long of genres getting screwed up when I bring my music over from iTunes.

I had a 2pac song that was clearly labelled as 'Rap & Hip-Hop.'  When it was added to Foobar the genre changed to '17.'  I was able to change it no problem but I don't understand why it did that in the first place.

I also tried to change the details of one song.  They changed in Foobar, but the actual file in windows explorer did not update?  Why not.  It worked earlier with another song.

Reply #1
You may have tracks with more than one tag[version] for any given field. Explorer is behind on what versions of id3 tags that it can read. Been discussed often.

If compatibility with Explorer is important to you, you can change what version Foobar2000 writes in preferences>advanced. You can use the context menu to view what tags your files have.

Reply #2
Well maybe you can shed some light because I thought there was only 1 thing called ID3 tags.

I right clicked the song and went to tagging and it says - id3v1, id3v2, apev2.  Id3v2 was checked, I checked them all - updated - and it still didn't update in Windows Explorer.

Reply #3
Don't have time this morning, sorry. You might use google to update your knowledge or you could search the forums.
regards

Reply #4
Okay so I tried it again just now. 

Right click song > Tagging > mp3 tag types > all checked

Then I went Check > Override ID3v2 revision > v 2.3.

That worked.  It changed the track #, song title, year, etc in Windows Explorer.  Before those things were blank.

Now it defaulted to ID3v2 and unchecked the other things.

I still don't understand why this happened.

Reply #5
I still don't understand why this happened.
Logic suggests that your files were previously tagged with ID3v2.4, and Windows Explorer does not recognise that version. You might try checking the parameters of whichever program you used to create the files in question.

Also, it's not a particularly good idea to add all three types of tag to a single file. I forget the specifics, but one of ID3v1 or ID3v2 doesn’t play very nicely with APEv2. If you don’t know that you need a particular type of tag, don’t use it.

Reply #6
So should I be uswing ID3v2?  Is that the most common for any mp3?

I noticed I have some leftover AAC files from iTunes and I can't tag them in Foobar.  Is there no work around?

Also how do I 'display' duplicates.  NOT delete duplicates.  iTunes has this feature and it's actually very nice.  Sometimes you may have 2 versions of a song, but one is a live version.

This is not the case though for me.  I have noticed a few duplicates in my library.

Thanks

Reply #7
If I may make a suggestion, there are many people here who are quite expert in ID3. Some may not care whatsoever about how to properly delete a song and would not open the thread.

You would have a much wider audience if you did not hijack your own thread and place the non related questions in their own thread. It would also help others.

Regarding which version of ID3, depends on what you consider important. Considering the vast truncated limitations of ID3V1, unless you have a player that can not read anything but, then yes ID3V2 is the way to go. However, that is seldom the point. It is which flavor of ID3V2 is best for you and the programs you use. If you want this to be done and over, ID3V2.3 until you have a reason not to. To make a more personal, informed decision, please consider searching this site, the web or:

ID3V2
id3V1

Reply #8
But to summarise in a way that covers most cases, use ID3v2.3. Only add ID3v1 if you have some really old device that doesn’t support ID3v2. APEv2 is a nice idea in theory, but good luck finding many other software players, and any non-homebrewed hardware player, that can actually read it.

As tpijag said, please begin a new thread if you have any other questions that do not relate directly to this one.