Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Bauer stereophonic-to-binaural DSP plugin (Read 276875 times) previous topic - next topic

Bauer stereophonic-to-binaural DSP plugin

Reply #175
I used the download page at http://bs2b.sourceforge.net/download.html to get foobar2000-bs2b-3.1.0-bin.zip, but had some trouble getting it installed in a current version of foobar2000.

I figured out that it needs to be repacked without a top-level folder in the .zip, and the .zip needs to be renamed to begin with foo_, like foo_bs2b-3.1.0-bin.zip. Then you can install it via the components interface in fb2k, like normal.

Reply #176
Or even simpler: unpack the DLL, open Preferences > Components and drag-n-drop the DLL into the list of components.

Reply #177
On that note: I made a bs2b AudioUnit for use on OS X: https://github.com/MagisterLeoninus/bs2b-au

Place the bs2b-au.component file in ~/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/ and you should be able to use it with your favorite host application (I only tested it in AU Lab though).

Cheers
Leo

Leo, I wasn't able to use your plug-in. I downloaded the archive, but I didn't find any *.component file.

I'm using this instead: http://bit.ly/15stGIV a Cross Feed Audio Unit created by Lars.

Reply #178
It really seems to work almost amazingly. The critical factor is headphone placement. I read an article by C Moy and he suggested positioning the cans lower and more inner on the ear. Its easy to do on a supraural can like grado. Once you get it right and enable the bs2b the sound becomes speaker like - deeper murky with some treble rolloff. If you move the cans more behind the ear you get more treble and detail but you lose the speaker imaging.

Reply #179
The article is here:

http://yrzorg.uk.cloudlogin.co/amp/headpho...r_Headphone.htm

"For a superior 3D effect with supra-aural headphones, wear the earcups to enhance in-front imaging (slightly down and forward on the ears). This positioning helps direct the sound waves to enter the ears at an angle as happens with normal hearing, instead of going straight to the eardrums. The technique does not work as well with circumaural headphones"

Reply #181
Hi
Im trying compile source files into a DLL with VS2013 (as win8 runtime library).
All i need - is .h + .cpp files? Or i need also convert .c files?
If using as it is, .h files only + .cpp from example, its crashes

Reply #182
Hi
Im trying compile source files into a DLL with VS2013 (as win8 runtime library).
All i need - is .h + .cpp files? Or i need also convert .c files?
If using as it is, .h files only + .cpp from example, its crashes

Good evening Dear.
I think, you'll have much more problems with compilation of foobar2000 SDK, due to the fact that it is more complex and adapted for VS10.
As I have already forgotten the dependencies of each project, the best way to understand the dependencies has to see the project file, for example, for fb2k plug-in see each <File> section of the file http://sourceforge.net/p/bs2b/code/HEAD/tr...dsp_bs2b.vcproj .
Good luck.
goo.gl/JNZR8

Reply #183
No no no, im trying to use it for my own project, so i just try build libbs2b-3.1.0

Reply #185
Tried out four different crossfeed components recently, and the two which have stuck are your BS2B, and the new Meier Crossfeed component which was recently released here:

http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_dsp_meiercf

I've found I like the Meier preset with BS2B the most, and that it sounds almost exactly like the new one when set to strength 4.

One thing I have noticed which I found slightly confusing with yours, are that lower settings are actually stronger sounding, and higher settings are closer to the regular source. Can I just ask to confirm that that is indeed the case, and I am not going mad? I.e. your default setting sounds more different from the source than your Meier setting?

Cahin is: Lossless files into Crookwood mastering console (DA converter and headphone amp) into HD600s.

And great work by the way, I love the Meier setting the most for relaxing and enjoyment listening, definitely takes away the "in your head" feeling in a pretty transparent way. I just have to keep remembering to turn it off when I go back to the ATC monitors!

Reply #186
Tried out four different crossfeed components recently

Including my xfeed? </shameless advertising>

Yes, this is confusing because the crossfeed level imo should be a negative value. If the right channel plays a tone at 0 dB then the left channel will play the same tone at -x dB with the configured time delay, where x is the crossfeed level.
-infinity dB would mean that no sound leaks from one channel into the other. -0 dB would be mono-like.

Put simple: slider to the left = strong crosstalk, slider to the right = weak crosstalk
"I hear it when I see it."

Reply #187
Cheers! Yep, I tried yours out too (and another one which showed up with exactly the same name in the component list), but I like a really simple interface! Did it have presets? I've downloaded it again and promise to give it a bit more time though!

Thanks for the explanation, thinking in minus values definitely makes much more sense!

Also had a play with the VNoPhones VST plugin. Also good.

Really does seem to make a positive difference and sound better/more natural, at least for pleasure listening.

Reply #188
Hi,

I'm listening quite a lot to Google Play Music with my laptop, in which case I can't use the Foobar plug-in which I otherwise use (thank you!). Is there any possibility to make this plug-in system wide in Windows, something akin to what http://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/ apparently have made with an equaliser?

Regards,

.brum

Reply #189
After playing with dolby headphone I arrived at some middle point: Use bs2b in conjunction with channel mixing.  Adding 'convert stereo to 4 channels' after bs2b in foobar DSP yields even better results while keeping tonality closer to original than DH.  This adds a spacial effect to the bs2b and relieve fatigue even more. Channel mixer DSP is another one that gives even more options.

Reply #190
After more experimenting I decided against this. For 2CH stereo non surround I prefer just bs2b and it doesn't  work with >2Ch.  So to address the 'congested' effects of crossfeed that some people encounter I arrived at a very good solution. Crossfeed is only 1 part of the equation although bs2b may already be very good and nothing else is needed. Still, The question of 'expanding' the soundstage lingers and who is to say that a certain headphone even resembles a room or what it should sound like?  When i have speakers i can choose the width between them - So why not with headphones ?. Using the foo_channel mixer in 2Ch mode , I expanded the stereoimage from 1.05 ~ 1.25.  I settled @ 1.25 but also found out that even 1.05 yields a nice improvement for those wishing to stay close to the default width. Only with very high setting close to 2.00 does it sound out of place.  This takes very little away from the bs2b effect. What I have now is most of the bs2b advantage + a greater spatial image.

In foobar DSP:

Foo Channel mixer (2ch / 1.25 width) >> bs2b (c moy)

http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title..._channel_mixer)

Re: Bauer stereophonic-to-binaural DSP plugin

Reply #191

In foobar DSP: Foo Channel mixer (2ch / 1.25 width) >> bs2b (c moy)

Wow nice one! I'll try this with all genres right now. It sounds very good. I have tried so many crossfeed plugins and this combo is about on par with the meier crossfeed. I'll do a vs battle right now :D

Reply #192
A side by side comparison automatically makes me hear that this combo mellows down the sound but it does it in a very good way. Other crossfeed filters I have tried do something weird to the sound except for this one and the meier crossfeed plugin.

Reply #193
ahh but when I do some volume matching, this is really nice. I can set it and forget it. Thanks for discovering this!

Reply #194
So I'm not sure where to report this issue but this is the only page I'm finding for the bs2b library.

When trying to build this using the mingw cross compiler on Ubuntu 16.04 for ffmpeg using the ffmpeg build helpers script, one gets an error:

/ffmpeg/sandbox/cross_compilers/mingw-w64-i686/i686-w64-mingw32/lib/libbs2b.a(bs2b.o):bs2b.c:(.text+0xd): undefined reference to `rpl_malloc'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
After googling the heck out of this, I found here (https://github.com/LLNL/ior/issues/4) that AC_FUNC_MALLOC is not a cross compiler friendly option. After removing AC_FUNC_MALLOC  from configure.ac it started compiling okay.

I was wondering if the owner/author can make this correction to the configure.ac file to make it cross compiler friendly

Reply #195
Boris,
Just wanted to say thanks for the VST version of your plugin also!  Made my life a lot easier when I found that the Case Meier Crossfeed VST would not load in a particular player--went looking for an alternative, found this equally great piece of work.  I encourage you to keep development for the foo and VST versions at the same level, both are needed and appreciated.  Best wishes.

Reply #196
Could someone be so kind to compile x64 version to use it with Foobar 2.0?
• We can do better about lossy music: Opus complexity & qAAC dependence on Apple is a departure from Vorbis & Musepack breakthroughs
• Clipping-free MP3 encoding for vintage gear: SoX to 44.1 kHz → LoudMax -1 dB ISP → ADClip8 → Smart dither 16 bit → Lame3995o -Q1
• Plz, update WavPack hybrid & FSLAC

Reply #198
@OK1, thank you, it works on my end.

I have tried all four presets while listening to contemporary music and found that they make the sound, how to say it, too confined and lifeless. Although, if I try them over a voice sample (balancechecknocrossfeed.mp3 to be specific), it feels quite natural. Not long ago I used Meier Crossfeed by @Case set to 15, but removed it, because I often felt that the performer was more to the right than in the center. This led to panic: I opened OS Windows audio settings to check the balance, cleaned my headphones, borrowed other headphones from a neighbor, and even imagined that the left ear was damaged by earplugs while sleeping. One day I should try again with the default (10) or even lower value.
• We can do better about lossy music: Opus complexity & qAAC dependence on Apple is a departure from Vorbis & Musepack breakthroughs
• Clipping-free MP3 encoding for vintage gear: SoX to 44.1 kHz → LoudMax -1 dB ISP → ADClip8 → Smart dither 16 bit → Lame3995o -Q1
• Plz, update WavPack hybrid & FSLAC