Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: mp3->vorbis transcoding (Read 4462 times) previous topic - next topic

mp3->vorbis transcoding

I have a number of high-quality mp3's (q2, vbr-new) that I would like to transcode to -q4.00 vorbis (so I can fit more of them on my iPod) and have been stumped as to figuring out why so far there has been an extremely small silence between adjacent files that were gapless before any encoding (I use iTunes to manage my audio files, and since it automatically determines gapless playback information for each file, I'm thinking the files themselves are probably not truly gapless).  in case this makes a difference, I drag-dropped them into CDex and it output the files fine, but all of them have that minuscule bit of silence at the beginning that prevents them from being gapless. 

so I'm wondering- 1) is there something I'm doing wrong that is preventing CDex from outputting gapless files, or 2) is there an app available that I could use to optimize my transcoded files that would cut off the silence to make them gapless?  I know Foobar has an option allowing the user to optimize MPEGs (i.e. my AAC files from iTunes) that removes unnecessary silence, so I figured there has to be something that can do the same for Vorbis files...

mp3->vorbis transcoding

Reply #1
I have a number of high-quality mp3's (q2, vbr-new) that I would like to transcode to -q4.00 vorbis (so I can fit more of them on my iPod) and have been stumped as to figuring out why so far there has been an extremely small silence between adjacent files that were gapless before any encoding (I use iTunes to manage my audio files, and since it automatically determines gapless playback information for each file, I'm thinking the files themselves are probably not truly gapless).  in case this makes a difference, I drag-dropped them into CDex and it output the files fine, but all of them have that minuscule bit of silence at the beginning that prevents them from being gapless. 

so I'm wondering- 1) is there something I'm doing wrong that is preventing CDex from outputting gapless files, or 2) is there an app available that I could use to optimize my transcoded files that would cut off the silence to make them gapless?  I know Foobar has an option allowing the user to optimize MPEGs (i.e. my AAC files from iTunes) that removes unnecessary silence, so I figured there has to be something that can do the same for Vorbis files...

My understanding is that MP3s have padding that isn't necessarily removed when decoded to Wave. Now, if they're Lame MP3s and you decod withe LAME itself, the latest version should correctly restore the gaplessness (AFAIK). Then reencoding to vorbis should work.

Try Omni Encoder... it uses Lame to decode and can transcode to Vorbis for you on the fly, with tags transposed as well. Let me know if that fixes your problem.

mp3->vorbis transcoding

Reply #2
wow!  just installed it, and I have to say, it works like a charm!  my only question now is whether it is possible to change the numbering scheme that OE automatically gives the files.  for uniformity's sake (I'm sure someone understands me here) I'd like to keep all my files named like "01 I Did It.ogg" (no dash between the number and track name).  is there an option I missed that would allow me to change that?  one other thing related to naming- in CDex there is an option of using the "%tn/%tt" numbering scheme, but I prefer to have it be just "%tn" (I have OCD, sorry  ).  can I do the same with OE?  just curious... thanks for the help so far