IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replacement LARGER Hard Drive Models For Ipod Classic?
Arnold B. Kruege...
post Mar 5 2013, 14:43
Post #26

Group: Members
Member No.: 61311

QUOTE (tsandrew @ Mar 3 2013, 00:08) *
Question #4: Other than Ebay, do any reputable dealers sell this drive?

1. I would install this into the 7th Gen iPod. Besides avoiding the risk of firmware issues, you would be able to use the Genius feature to sift through all your music.
2. Yes - the thick rear panel will work just fine.
3. The new hard drive will need a regular format, quick format through Windows PC should be just fine.
4. I've recently started up a small business catering specifically to making 240GB 7th Generation iPod Classics. I have already sold some through eBay (user ID tsandrew) for about $250 door-to-door: http://www.ebay.com/itm/261174835929?ssPag...984.m1561.l2649
If you're only interested in a 240GB upgrade kit, I use the MK2431GAH Toshiba drive. The drive is bundled with a new HDD cable, battery, and laser-printed 240GB backplate. If you're interested in either the drive or a new 7th Gen iPod, please contact me here or via email: newt.tsai at gmail.

Given that 1.8" SSDs are coming down in price and have so many practical advantages for portable devices (shock resistance, power) I wonder when they will become the next hot thing?

http://www.oczenterprise.com/ssd-products/...6g-1-8-mlc.html
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tsandrew
post Mar 5 2013, 15:46
Post #27

Member No.: 106988

QUOTE (Arnold B. Krueger @ Mar 5 2013, 14:43) *
Given that 1.8" SSDs are coming down in price and have so many practical advantages for portable devices (shock resistance, power) I wonder when they will become the next hot thing?

http://www.oczenterprise.com/ssd-products/...6g-1-8-mlc.html

SSDs are certainly an option for iPod classics, and it's something I've looked into myself, especially as I'm still waiting for parts to arrive from my latest shipment.

The problem with SSDs, aside from cost, will be the special iPod ZIF connector. This is a somewhat outdated connector (akin to the older IDE vs modern SATA for PCs) and, as such, I personally do not expect prices to decrease for these special SSD, ZIF-connector drives.

Currently, prices stand at around $250 for the lowest-capacity SSDs (NOTE: you can purchase an entirely NEW 240GB iPod from me for this price!) and probably over $400 for 160GB SSDs. I'm not sure 240GB SSDs currently exist for iPod.

Hope that was at least somewhat informative!
+Quote Post
skamp
post Mar 5 2013, 16:39
Post #28

Group: Developer
Member No.: 13875

The voltage is also important: the iPod won't work with SSDs that need more than 3.3V.

--------------------
See my profile for measurements, tools and recommendations.
+Quote Post
AshenTech
post Jun 10 2013, 04:09
Post #29

Member No.: 62144

bought from the fellow above, hes been very responsive and helpful smile.gif

im wondering if an sdhc/sdxc to zif converter or cf to zif converter would be worth trying?
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd September 2014 - 22:17