Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Ideas for a new MP3 program (Read 8380 times) previous topic - next topic

Ideas for a new MP3 program

Is there any program that is able to extract automatically tracks from a CD in a single MP3 and then split it in all the tracks by using the right markers to avoid the gap at the end of every track. I know I can do this operations using different programs as CDex, CUEMaster and MusiCutter but I'm wondering if a program can do everything automatically...it would be very interesting especially when extracting live CD.  Any informations about it?

Reply #1
Not needed since recent versions of LAME is gapless if you use a player that uses the info stored in the LAME tag.

Only player that does this so far is AFAIK foobar2000.

Reply #2
Jan, what was the earliest version of L.A.M.E. to use the tag in this manner? I don't seem to find anything about it in the history.

- M.

Edit: Stupid formatting errors...

Reply #3
Jan, what was the earliest version of L.A.M.E. to use the tag in this manner? I don't seem to find anything about it in the history.

- M.

Edit: Stupid formatting errors...

I don't know.
Gabriel must know since AFAIK the lame tag was his idea.

Reply #5
I've just found another good player that's able to read LAME tag, this program is called SoundPlayer Lilith: http://www.project9k.jp/ , unfortunately it's in Japanese...

Reply #6
Gapless mp3?  Here

http://40th.com/w32/

are a couple for win32 and a couple for Pocket PCs (warning: capitalism at work).  The now-familiar gapless mp3s (where possible), and the always-gapless Oggs and Wavs and CDDAs.  Here's a blurb on one (needs 296 or later for fully-gapless mp3s).

iRadio x86 file player and recorder

iRadio shows how to do remote file play and streaming right, using a client/server system. Platforms include Pocket PC and Win32 x86 desktops. Plays local or remote MP3, Ogg, PCM, CD/DA, and GSM-610 formats (gapless option for all but GSM), and support for shoutcast .raw (recorded) and live shoutcast streams. You can even stream your mp3 files from your home machine and listen to them while you're at work, using either the x86 or the Pocket PC 2002 & 2003 40iRadio client. Now available with matching Record option.

A Win32 iRadio server is included, with Linux and FreeBSD servers available by request.

Reply #7
Gapless mp3? Here

What kind of crap is this...???
//From the barren lands of the Northsmen

Reply #8
I've been ripping opera CDs  to WAV with EAC and batch encoding with all2lame using the nogap option.  It's been playing back fine in a cheap XP3 HD player.

Reply #9
why are you batch encoding?  can EAC still not do this properly?

Reply #10
Is there any program that is able to extract automatically tracks from a CD in a single MP3 and then split it in all the tracks by using the right markers to avoid the gap at the end of every track.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there is any program that can split a whole mp3 file into individual tracks and have it still play gaplessly.  I have personally tested two mp3 track splitters(musiCutter & mp3DirectCut) that both support CUE sheets.  Neither of these split an album and support gapless playback afterwards.  I encoded an album that contained gapless tracks to a single file using LAME 3.90.3 -aps.  Normally if encoded to single tracks, foobar2000 would be able to play the album back gaplessly using the gapless information added to the LAME header.  Using mp3DirectCut, I split the single track that I ripped using LAME 3.90.3 into the seperate songs and scanned the tracks with EncSpot.  Only one of the tracks is still displayed as LAME encoded, while all of the other tracks are said to be encoded by Gogo.  Therefore I think that the header information for all of the mp3s that were split were created and messed up by the cutting program, and will never be able to be played back gaplessly.  This must mean these mp3 cutting programs do not use CUE sheets to their full potential by incorporating gapless settings into the headers of the cut files.  If anyone can point to a cutting program that can do this, I would be amazed.  Would somebody be able to develope a cutting program that would be able to make correct LAME headers with gapless playback info taken from extracted CUE sheets?  This would be helpful. 

(BTW, I tried to fix the mp3 headers in foobar2000 of the cut tracks to just have EncSpot display the correct encoder(LAME) but that doesn't even work.)

Reply #11
*bump*

Reply #12
The only way to split MP3 tracks & have them play gaplessly is to use LAME's --nogap switch, and batch encode them all.

lame.exe --alt-preset standard --nogap track01.wav track02.wav track03.wav [...] trackX.wav

Of course, they will only play gaplessly provided the audio player doesn't pause (i.e. for prebuffer) before playing the next MP3 file.

Reply #13
The only way to split MP3 tracks & have them play gaplessly is to use LAME's --nogap switch, and batch encode them all.

lame.exe --alt-preset standard --nogap track01.wav track02.wav track03.wav [...] trackX.wav

Of course, they will only play gaplessly provided the audio player doesn't pause (i.e. for prebuffer) before playing the next MP3 file.

Wrong! Recent versions of lame (>3.90) add gapless information to the lame tag so the --nogap switch is deprecated, if the player uses the lame tag information.
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Reply #14

Even if this option worked, I want to add a clarification.  I do not aim to re-encode the mp3 to split the single file into tracks.

Reply #15
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there is any program that can split a whole mp3 file into individual tracks and have it still play gaplessly.  I have personally tested two mp3 track splitters(musiCutter & mp3DirectCut) that both support CUE sheets.  Neither of these split an album and support gapless playback afterwards.

I dunno about musiCutter, but I was under the impression that mp3DirectCut always cut exactly on frame boundaries, meaning that the resulting MP3's would be "gapless" in the sense that there wouldn't be any padding at the beginning/end of the resulting split files. So while it may not have the LAME tag, it really shouldn't need one, as all the data in the MP3 is data that should be played