Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Microphone: Roland or Shure? (Read 9871 times) previous topic - next topic

Microphone: Roland or Shure?

I am in a need of a vocal microphone; there are two I can get:
Roland DR-10
Shure PG58
Both are around ~65€. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Reply #1
Shure 10/10 times

They sound better (definately, plus I think that one has the 'explosive breath' filter), look better, and smell better.  Also, with Shure microphones, you can:
Throw them down a flight of stairs.
Drop a record box on them.
Run them over in a Fiat Panda.
Have it thrown at you but actually go out of a window.
Use the on / off switch thousands of times without it breaking.
Leave it out in the rain, and overnight let it ice up into a solid block.
Put it on top of an amp that catches fire, and let the flames lick it.

... and they will still work (all of the above has happened to my 2 Shure mic's)... and as you have probably guessed I have been through a fair few "other" mic's.

Basically, there are uberdurable

Reply #2
They also hold up fairly well if you use them to beat other band members...
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

Reply #3

Thanks for the comments. I agree that Shure looks better than Roland; I can't say on anything else, 'cause I have yet to see.

I heard there are two versions of Shure PG58, one with XLR cable and one with 1/4" cable; in case I can get only the one with XLR cable, is there a chance to get a converter XLR->1/4 or 1/8"?

Reply #4
shure or sennheiser for vocal in my opinion

Reply #5
Definately Shure for vocal mics.

@Lev, I know they're desinged to be durable, but damn...

I heard there are two versions of Shure PG58, one with XLR cable and one with 1/4" cable; in case I can get only the one with XLR cable, is there a chance to get a converter XLR->1/4 or 1/8"?

Yep, you can get XLR->1/4" cables or use a DI box (although they can cost a bit, and it would be pointless unless you're running cables really long distances at professional gigs).  Get the XLR model to cover all your bases.

Reply #6
Yep - as said, converters are available and cheap, but get the XLR one (I'm surprised they do a nonXLR one )

Just out of interest, what are you going to be doing?

Reply #8
Just out of interest, what are you going to be doing?

Hopefully, eurodance-style music. I need microphone for one girl who will be a vocalist.

I am going to look around to see if one model I saw they have is XLR or 1/4" one. I will also take a look around the town for such converter, just to make sure I can get one. The store should be open (they have some weird shifts, so it's not open by the time I go home from school), so I might check today.

Thanks a lot for help.

I would recommend you to have a look at Studio Projects B1 for around £ 64.

Looking at specs, it seems very good, but I doubt it's available where I live. Thanks for recommendation anyway.

Reply #10
Also, with Shure microphones, you can:
Throw them down a flight of stairs.
[...]

Reminds me of a great gig a while back.  The drummer was in the midst of the longest and most energetic solo since In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida when his sticks just flew out of his sweaty hands into the audience.  Not wanting to disappoint the crowd, he quickly grabbed the 57s off the snare and toms and finished the ~13min solo, much to the dismay of the sound jerk.  The crowd went wild and the mics worked fine for the next act.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....t=0#entry181406

Looks like spagetti sauce on that thing.  Is it?
Gur svggrfg funyy fheivir lrg gur hasvg znl yvir. Jr zhfg ercrng.

Reply #11
haha,

Despite the fact that I did spill a WAD of Pasta and Ragu all over ALL my kit the once (including headphones, cartridges, and vinyl)... this is rust

Leave it out in the rain, and overnight let it ice up into a solid block.

Reply #12
I got it! It looks so good and it works great!
I tried recording a bit - my Audigy2 produces noise (~-75db) when recording AC97, but I guess it will be covered by music effects, so it won't be too big problem.