Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: ID3 tags changed by TagScanner are not updated in MediaMonkey (Read 13341 times) previous topic - next topic

ID3 tags changed by TagScanner are not updated in MediaMonkey

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum but it seems really cool!  I just took finished taking DSP for my EE undergrad and this all looks very familiar

I'm having an issue with some of the tags in my music collection, and my web searches haven't dug anything up.
I use tagscanner to edit everything by hand, and until now I haven't paid much attention to which id3 version I was using (or APE), and it was set to update the tags and not overwrite (apparently that function isn't there anymore).  One thing I did read online is that sometimes tag information can be hidden, and won't get overwritten for some reason (it wasn't very detailed). 

I'll give a quick example of my issues:  I like to tag my music based on the release date of the audio cd, instead of the release date of individual songs.  This is important for compilations and mix tapes.  So I change all the tags with tagscanner, pop it back into my media player (currently using mediamonkey) and nothing has changed.  The only lead I have right now is that most of my music files are using id3v2.3, and the files in question are using id3v2.3@utf16 (which technically should be BETTER, from what I've read).  Another point worth noting is that when I created new tag information, in this case APE tag information, there was no change in the results... still mixed up dates.

I'm not really sure why this is happening... but it doesn't happen often.  Out of my collection only a few albums and songs are like this.
Anyway, thanks for the help and all.
-Mcfloyd

Reply #1
I did a little more research, and found that Mediamonkey is the root of the problem (I think).  I loaded the songs into windows media player, and the tags were read properly.  I still don't understand where the information came from though (the release year of the particular songs were actual years, not blank fields), since I overwrote the original information in all of the tag versions.  If anyone knows why this would happen please let me know.  The engineer in me wants to know why

Reply #2
I did a little more research, and found that Mediamonkey is the root of the problem (I think).  I loaded the songs into windows media player, and the tags were read properly.  I still don't understand where the information came from though (the release year of the particular songs were actual years, not blank fields), since I overwrote the original information in all of the tag versions.  If anyone knows why this would happen please let me know.  The engineer in me wants to know why

you might want to check out mp3tag. A very powerful tagging program with a good forum too. (and it does all sorts of files, not just mp3)

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

Reply #3
(I don't use Media Monkey or Tag Scanner.)

I don't know what's going on...  It could be a couple of things... Media Monkey might be reading the "wrong" tag, or it might have its own separate database. A separate database is pretty standard because when you sort by date (or any other field), or when you start-up the program, you'll notice that it doesn't have to re-read all of the music files on your system to find the information. 

If Media Monkey is keeping a separate database, you'd need to figure-out how to make it re-scan the file for the new ID3 information.   You should be able to test that by re-naming the file, or by making a copying the file (with a different name).

I would assume Tag Scanner would keep all of the tags versions "in-sync".  I use Mp3Tag, and I'm pretty sure that's what it does.

I like to tag my music based on the release date of the audio cd, instead of the release date of individual songs. This is important for compilations and mix tapes.
Did you say what you meant to say?    I've spent quite a bit of time doing the opposite...  researching the original release dates for songs, instead of using the "default" CD release data.    I have a lot of music that was originally released on records, and I have a few 'big-band' songs tagged with dates in the 1920s!

Reply #4
MediaMonkey does use a database and you will have to rescan any files you alter so that it can update its database.

Also, MediaMonkey writes a mixture of id3v2.3 and id3v2.4 frames by default and this can cause problems with other media players. Even if you never use MediaMonkey to alter your tags, I suggest reading the following link on how to force it to write id3v2.3 frames only.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=ca...yXXR1PsorOG5tXA

Reply #5
(I don't use Media Monkey or Tag Scanner.)

I don't know what's going on...  It could be a couple of things... Media Monkey might be reading the "wrong" tag, or it might have its own separate database. A separate database is pretty standard because when you sort by date (or any other field), or when you start-up the program, you'll notice that it doesn't have to re-read all of the music files on your system to find the information. 

If Media Monkey is keeping a separate database, you'd need to figure-out how to make it re-scan the file for the new ID3 information.   You should be able to test that by re-naming the file, or by making a copying the file (with a different name).

I would assume Tag Scanner would keep all of the tags versions "in-sync".  I use Mp3Tag, and I'm pretty sure that's what it does.

I like to tag my music based on the release date of the audio cd, instead of the release date of individual songs. This is important for compilations and mix tapes.
Did you say what you meant to say?    I've spent quite a bit of time doing the opposite...  researching the original release dates for songs, instead of using the "default" CD release data.    I have a lot of music that was originally released on records, and I have a few 'big-band' songs tagged with dates in the 1920s!

Yeah I should have been more specific, my b.  When I retagged the files and put them back into mediamonkey, I would delete that album's entry in the library and force a rescan.  And yeah it just makes more sense to me tag it that way because tagging individual songs in my collection would probably take years.
I will look at mp3tag, though it sounds familiar so I may have used it before.

Reply #6
I thought I would update this a little for a bump.
Here's what mp3tag shows:

and here's tagscanner:

This is turning into a bummer for me, mostly because after using mp3tag for a couple hours, tagscanner is arguably WAY better.  And now that tagscanner isn't overwriting tags properly, I don't know what to do.
here's what tagscanner tells you that mp3tag doesn't:

So I dunno... Maybe the next step is to email the tagscanner staff and let them know or something if you guys can't figure out what is wrong here.

Reply #7
What is the problem? All I can see is that TagScanner does not show the month and day, which could be for a variety of reasons. Perhaps check its preferences.

More relevantly, though: Do you need all three of ID3v1, ID3v2, and APEv2 in your files? I would not be surprised at all if that causes problems. Only use the minimum that you need, and make sure that all your programs are reading and writing that same thing.

Reply #8
You realize you can right click on the column headings in mp3tag and click custom columns and add many different columns that contain lots of useful info.  Nothing at all against TagScanner, but it took me way longer than a few hours (or a few months for that matter) to learn the power of mp3tag which is almost infinitely customizable.

p.s. I don't see anything in your screen shot shown by tag scanner NOT shown by mp3tag except for track no (and mp3tag would show that too if you click on in it the column display options).  What am I missing in terms of "missing in mp3tag"?

Reply #9
here's what tagscanner tells you that mp3tag doesn't:

Aha, now I see that picture. All this stuff can be shown in mp3tag too. I have columns setup with the right coding to automatically show all the items you feel are missing  (except offset, which *may* be possible but I've not tried).

Reply #10
thanks for the fast responses, and yeah i checked the columns after you said that and its baller.  i really like tagscanner because its VERY POWERFUL for automation.  you can create file AND folder naming schemes, move them to a different drive, make lists, change the case (if all info is lowercase), mix tag fields (because i like to call compilations various artists with the song title as %artist% - %title%).

but anyway, the difference between those two is the release year of the album.  one id3v2 shows 2011-03-08 and the other is just 2011 (which is what I want).

also for some reason when I make changes in mp3tag, it doesnt edit but still says success.  also, i decided that maybe there was confusion with all the different tags so i deleted them all, but now i cant edit them anymore.  it says success! but still stays blank with NO tags attached.

Reply #11
Do you need all three of ID3v1, ID3v2, and APEv2 in your files? I would not be surprised at all if that causes problems. Only use the minimum that you need, and make sure that all your programs are reading and writing that same thing.

Reply #12
thanks for the fast responses, and yeah i checked the columns after you said that and its baller.  i really like tagscanner because its VERY POWERFUL for automation.  you can create file AND folder naming schemes, move them to a different drive, make lists, change the case (if all info is lowercase), mix tag fields (because i like to call compilations various artists with the song title as %artist% - %title%).

mp3tag can easily do all the above too.  I'd have to play around on dates to check that.  But I'm not trying to talk you into using mp3tagl. TagScanner seems good too although I haven't used. But I just wanted to make sure that future readers of this thread realized that in fact mp3tag *can* do the things you mention above as well. It is just that you haven't yet learned how to do those things with mp3tag.  But of course if you're happy with tagscanner there is no reason for you to learn mp3tag details.

Reply #13

mp3tag can easily do all the above too.  I'd have to play around on dates to check that.  But I'm not trying to talk you into using mp3tagl. TagScanner seems good too although I haven't used. But I just wanted to make sure that future readers of this thread realized that in fact mp3tag *can* do the things you mention above as well. It is just that you haven't yet learned how to do those things with mp3tag.  But of course if you're happy with tagscanner there is no reason for you to learn mp3tag details.

Well im willing to admit that both programs have their strengths and faults.  for example, someone earlier mentioned i might not need utf16 type of id3v2.3.  i have no option to change this in tagscanner, but i noticed i can change it to iso in mp3tag.  can you help me figure out how to do this fully automated?  i want to just save the tag info, delete the id3v2.3utf16, and then create id3v2.3iso and then inject the saved tag information.  is it possible to do this?

Reply #14

Well im willing to admit that both programs have their strengths and faults.  for example, someone earlier mentioned i might not need utf16 type of id3v2.3.  i have no option to change this in tagscanner, but i noticed i can change it to iso in mp3tag.  can you help me figure out how to do this fully automated?  i want to just save the tag info, delete the id3v2.3utf16, and then create id3v2.3iso and then inject the saved tag information.  is it possible to do this?

TOOLS > OPTIONS > TAGS > mpeg

Click on what you want to read, then what type you want to write, and which tags you'd like to remove. Once you done these settings, open files in mp3tag (all your files, only some folders, etc.).  Then highlight (select) the files and hit the big red X in the upper menu (just to right of save(disk) icon in menu).  This will rewriite tags according to your settings and then remove the tags you don't want (e.g., if you want to remove ID3v1 and APE, which I suggest you do).

mp3tag has a very helpful forum for users and some real experts respond quickly to user questions.  You'll eventually want to learn a bit more about how to use Actions, Convert tag > filename, copying tags from one set of files to another, importing tags from a text file or excel file, etc.  Folks there can help.
http://forums.mp3tag.de/index.php?http://w...ytag.de/forums/

(and none of this implies that TagScanner is not equally as good....I simply don't know)

Reply #15
Since you seem to like information displayed, try this tool. It has long been my favorite, especially for automation.
GodFather

Reply #16
It's looks like you change APEv2 tags but wanna see changes in programs which don't read this type of tags by default. To see changes set Complete or Auto mode for saving.

Reply #17
I’ve asked twice whether the OP needs all three types of tags and said twice to ensure that all programs are writing/reading in the same place. Perhaps you’ll get a reply.