Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WMP Tag Plus - MPEG4, Vorbis and FLAC metadata support for WMP (Read 517048 times) previous topic - next topic

WMP Tag Plus - MPEG4, Vorbis and FLAC metadata support for WMP

Reply #600
Error every time start WMP.

One of the core components of WMP Tag Plus is missing or failed to load properly.

Please try reinstalling WMP Tag Plus or contact the author if the problem persists.

Information
WMP Tag Plus  2.2 on Windows 10 Technical Preview 9879 64 bit.

Reply #601
I haven't got round to testing WMP Tag Plus on Windows 10 yet, so there's currently no support. The same applies to Windows Media Player Plus! and WMPCDText.

Reply #602
Hi Tim,

Many thanks for all your hard work on WMP Tag Plus so far.

I had been enjoying my ALAC collection on WMP 12 flawlessly on Windows 8.1 for about 3 months, when suddenly I noticed that new files were not being recognised properly as I copied them into my Music library location. I'm not 100% sure what caused it, but it might have been:

- DoubleTwist sync utility (since uninstalled, to no effect)
- Orzeszek Ratings (no way to uninstall, since it's just a standalone .exe)

I therefore decided to refresh my library by deleting all the tracks and re-adding the folder - unfortunately, since this point I have been stuck with the dreaded "Other Media" problem and have been unable to get my ALAC files to re-appear in the Music section    However, my Mp3 files all appear in the Music section, as expected.

I have tried all the steps mentioned in this forum post:

- deleting the Windows Media folder containng the library files
- reinstalling the WMPTag Plus plugin
- installing the Media Player Plus plugin (in addition)
- deleting audio files from library and then selecting "restore deleted library items"
- ensuring "always add lossless m4a files to library" option is ticked
- "Refresh Song Tags" option in Tools

All of this to no avail.

Is there anything else I can try? I don't want to have to switch to another media player, as I think your solution was the most elegant, when it was working

Thanks in advance for any ideas...

Reply #603
Are you using the latest version of WMP Tag Plus, 2.2? Did you perhaps install TaglibHandler too?

If you check in Regedit, what are the contents of the (Default) value at the following keys? (the second key will only exist on a 64-bit Windows system)
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PropertySystem\PropertyHandlers\.m4a
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PropertySystem\PropertyHandlers\.m4a

Reply #604
Yes I am using the latest version of WMP Tag Plus.

Not sure about TaglibHandler? I have never come across it before.

I checked the registry keys as you suggested and took a screenshot of each one:

Registry - Property Handlers

1. {c0212cf9-9262-6e84-a7d9-492f82466cff}
2. {f81b1b56-7613-4ee4-bc05-1fab5de5c07e}

Hopefully this means something to you! 

Thanks!

Reply #605
Thanks for providing the registry values. I don't see anything unusual so they're probably not causing the issue.

Did you perhaps install any Windows Updates recently? I was informed that the most recent updates break Windows Media Player Plus's context menu enhancements, KB3000850 is the most likely culprit. If this is the case, the ALAC support in WMP Tag Plus may be affected as well. I'll look into these issues as soon as I find some time.

Reply #606
Thanks for getting back to me.

You're prediction is most likely correct, since I checked my Windows update history and I can see a whole stream of updates were applied last week and the week before. Couldn't see any explicit update to WMP, but some of them may have been wider updates which affected WMP in some way. KB3000850 was one of the updates applied.

In the meantime, I have had to resort back to Apple iTunes! I do not understand why, even though the software has been through numerous iterations, and I have upgraded my PC several times, itunes still takes forever to load just like it did years ago!

Reply #607
Hi everyone, first-time poster but long-time lurker.

I just thought I'd also report that my WMP v12 with Tag Plus v2.2 stopped reading any/all FLAC tags a couple of weeks ago so I've had to resort to Foobar2000 to playback my lossless archive. I use Foobar2000 on the side anyway so it's not such a big deal but I use Windows Media Center to watch TV and playing FLACs through Media Player was very handy and I was fond of the integration. I'm running a fairly standard up to date build of Windows 8.1 with Media Center x64. Nothing really out of the ordinary in my rig, just an average gaming PC but I did install KB3000850 around the time it all stopped working a couple of weeks ago. It really disappointed and perplexed me at the time but I'm frankly relieved to see it's not a weird glitch with my system alone (!) and am now hopeful we'll see a v2.3 of WMP Tag Plus at some point in the future

Like rv2798 I attempted to fix the problem by uninstalling/reinstalling not only WMP Tag Plus but the codec pack I was using, dabbled with alternate codec packs etc. unfortunately it simply didn't make a difference. The WMP Tag Plus functionality appears to be fully enabled but the tags are simply aren't being seen with every FLAC showing up under "Unknown" artist.

I've used WMP Tag Plus for literally years across Windows 7 and 8 to play my FLAC collection and so I'd like to try and help if possible. If you need logs or whatever from my system please let me know. I might try rolling back KB3000850 to see if that makes an difference; it was touted as an Optional update (not Important) so my system probably wouldn't be any less secure but whatever that KB update applied will probably be reapplied by Windows Update at some point in the future. So I guess this may be a permanent problem for the 2.2 plug-in going forward.

Cheers

Reply #608
I have been able to confirm that KB3000850 is indeed the cause for the broken functionality in WMP Tag Plus (and Windows Media Player Plus), so no additional info is needed at the moment. I'm working on a fix and will post an announcement here when it's available for download.

Reply #609
Hello all,

I'm new member of this forum but I use your fantastic WMP TAG PLUS plugin for Windows Media Player 12 since few months!

I would like to add few observations about the issue describe above:
I have reinstalled my Windows 8.1 Pro operating system yesterday evening, so it is a full formated fresh install.
Otherwise, and even without installing the famous KB300850, I am experiencing this issue.
Indeed, currently all my flacs files have there flags set to "unknown".

As far as I can see, the only Windows updates delivered last days are: KB3013816, KB3013769 and KB3012199.
I have tried to uninstall all of them and it didn't make the difference.

Do not hesitate to contact me if you need some logs or others informations because I would like to continue to use your plugin which really helpul and well-done!

Regards,

Reply #610
Hello again,

Just a quick update about my issue.
I have found the cause of my problem : It is the KB3013769
I'm pretty sure that is related to the following issue listed as fixed in the description of this KB3013769: •KB 3014591 File duration is incorrect in a file that is created by Media Foundation MPEG-4 file sink
(more information on: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3013769).

I have checked it on 3 différents PC:
- my own PC (Windows Pro 8.1 fresh install)
- my parents' PC (Windows Pro 8.1 updated from Windows 7, old install...)
- my sister's PC (Windows 8.1)

On these three computers, when I uninstall this KB, my FLAC files are properly displayed in Windows Media Player 12 with WMP TAG PLUS v2.2.

So to summarize, two KB are problematic for now: KB300850 and KB3013769.
As these KB are facultative, I strongly recommand you to don't install these if you want to keep WMP TAG PLUS working fine

I hope it will helps others people because I spent a lot of time to identify the offending.

Best regards,

Reply #611
Thanks for the report and for nailing it down to that specific update. I've also just installed KB3013769 on my Windows 8.1 system and didn't notice any new issues other than those caused by KB300850 (which was already installed). So I suspect that the underlying cause for the WMP Tag Plus malfunction is the same for both updates. The upcoming update for WMP Tag Plus will make the plug-in compatible with these Windows Updates.

Reply #612
Announcement: the beta version of WMP Tag Plus 2.5 is now available for download here.

Changes:
  • New: read/write support for star ratings stored in FLAC and Ogg Vorbis files.
  • New: read/write support for star ratings stored in MPEG-4 files (Windows Media Player 11 only). This is compatible with the native MPEG-4 support in Windows Media Player 12.
  • New: when adding new extensions in WMP Tag Plus settings, the plug-in now offers to restart Windows Media Player for the changes to take effect. After the restart, WMP Tag Plus will scan all library locations so existing files with the new extensions get added to the media library.
  • New: the aforementioned scan of all library locations is also performed when WMP Tag Plus has just been installed, and has also been added to the existing Refresh song tags scan.
  • Fixed: broken plug-in functionality on Windows 8.1 after installation of the November 2014 (KB3000850) or December 2014 (KB3013769) Windows update rollups. Special thanks to rv2798 and dynaxer for reporting.
  • Fixed: with WMP Tag Plus disabled, the usual warning at Windows Media Player startup didn't appear if the Comodo Firewall software was installed.
  • To prevent possible loss of all tags in a music file (as caused by an overzealous Windows Media Player, especially on Windows 8), WMP Tag Plus now ignores all tag delete requests for files whose duration isn't known yet in the library. Such files can be 'fixed' by using Refresh song tags in settings, after which all tag writes are allowed again.

As this is a beta, it’s not unlikely that there still are some bugs. Please let me know if you encounter any problems, so I can fix them for the final release. Thanks!

Reply #613
Hello, unfortunately latest 3.5 beta still doesn't work ("One of the core components of WMP Tag Plus is missing or failed to load properly. Please try reinstalling WMP Tag Plus or contact the author if the problem persists." error upon WMP launch) on Win10 Technical Preview 9879 x64. I really can't wait for a Win10-working release as I really miss this plugin, thank you for your commitment and efforts.

BTW: can I provide you some logs/info/whatever to help you sort the Win10 issue? That would be a pleasure.

Reply #614
There's indeed no Windows 10 support yet, including the 2.5 beta. Remember that it's still only a technical preview, which means that it's not meant for everyday use. Also, a lot of things can still change in future builds, so I'm hesitant to add support now and then later having to do another update of the plug-in because some changes made it incompatible again.

If there is an update that adds (preliminary) Windows 10 support, then it will be explicitly mentioned in the release notes here or on the website.

Reply #615
Thanks, I'll keep watching for an updated version.
Btw, next January Win 10 preview build will go consumer instead of technical... Final release shouldn't be much different.

Reply #616
Hi there

I have a problem importing FLAC tags using WMP12 & WMP Tag Plus plugin (either 2.1, 2.2 or 2.5 beta).

I have had to regenerate my WMP library & in doing so WMPT+ crashes repeatedly. I get the same issue when I use the tools option to import.

Error is:
"FLAC tag format support has generated an error...
Error code: 2
Exception: EExternalException

This happens randomly, it is not one particular file, and I then click OK, cancel the import (it keeps going); close WMP, re-start & select FLAC again & do it over.

It then continues for a bit until crashing.

Any solution?

Cheers

Craig

Reply #617
Which version of Windows are you running? What's the complete error message? (You should be able to use Ctrl+C on the error message to copy its contents to the clipboard.)

Would it be possible to upload one of the affected files (on something like OneDrive or Dropbox), and to send me the download link by PM? Thanks!

Reply #618
Which version of Windows are you running? What's the complete error message? (You should be able to use Ctrl+C on the error message to copy its contents to the clipboard.)

Would it be possible to upload one of the affected files (on something like OneDrive or Dropbox), and to send me the download link by PM? Thanks!

Hi Tim

Sorry, should have included I'm using W7 64 bit.

I'll PM you a Dropbox link to the file & the screencap of the error message window that popped up.

It doesn't seem to be a particular file, looks to be random. Once I repeat the process, the troublesome file will be processed OK. If I repeat the process often enough I'll eventually get through the entire collection & every file will eventually read fine.

Cheers

Craig

Reply #619
Thank you for the uploads. I indeed didn't see any problems with that particular file that you uploaded, so it's probably not file-specific. This is starting to look more and more like a memory leak. If you launch Task Manager at the time of the error, what do you see as Memory (Private Working Set) for the wmplayer.exe process (on the Details tab)?

Reply #620
Hi, sorry to ask a really dim question, but I can't figure out how to access Settings; can anyone tell me please!

Forget it, gfound it

Reply #621
Thank you for the uploads. I indeed didn't see any problems with that particular file that you uploaded, so it's probably not file-specific. This is starting to look more and more like a memory leak. If you launch Task Manager at the time of the error, what do you see as Memory (Private Working Set) for the wmplayer.exe process (on the Details tab)?

Hi Tim

Thanks for replying.

I haven't had the error come up lately so have been unable to review what you suggested above.

It did seem only to happen when I was tagging several hundred files. Lately I've tagged maybe a maximum of 120 with no issue.

I'll keep your suggestion in mind & check it out whenever it crops up again.

Cheers

Reply #622
It later occurred to me that you're probably experiencing the dreaded album art memory leak that's present in WMP 12: each time WMP reads the embedded album art from a music file, it leaks the memory that it allocated for that album art. I also checked the file you uploaded and sure enough, it contained rather large (1 MB) album art. If this is the case for a lot of your music files then WMP will eventually occupy all available memory, causing it to crash in various ways.

Note that this memory leak is not related to WMP Tag Plus and also occurs for formats like MP3.

However, I've been able to come up with a workaround that's included in WMP Tag Plus since version 2.2. This workaround is still disabled by default, but if you want I can send you the .reg file to enable it. There's more info about the memory leak and the workaround in this forum post at Microsoft Answers.

Reply #623
Hi Tim,

I'm getting an "Out of Memory" error when I try to update the tags from the Tools menu. My collection is mainly Apple Lossless. Tere is no more detailed error message unfortunately.

I can watch the wmp memory usage go up until it crashes at about 1.7GB!

Might your memory workaround help me?

Reply #624
I have sent you a PM with the instructions to enable the workaround.