Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: where does thread show up? (Read 8303 times) previous topic - next topic

where does thread show up?

I once thought everything new, or with recent activity, showed up by going to
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?act=portal
That certainly seems extremely useful.

However, I have found that topics posted in a number of the places under "forums" never appear there. There may be hundreds of threads posted since I started using HA that I never knew existed. Apparently is is necessary to open new windows for many of the separate forums just to find out if anything is going on? Since that is so cumbersome, it seems to put one at a significant advantage if the question he wishes to ask doesn't fit the classification of material that goes on the front page. Is there even a list somewhere to let people know what does or doesn't end up visible this way?

Reply #1
Don't know. I have always just used View New Posts. To the best of my knowledge, it catches everything.

Reply #2
I see. If I go to the bother of signing on, which I normally have no interest in doing, I get an option of 'view recent posts'. Well, I looked very carefully, three times, and I find only one of the two threads I created today (this one). I still had to go to forums/the specific forum/ to find the reply that had been made to my other thread.

So, the question is still open.

Reply #3
Also, by checking, I see that this 'view new posts' does not include all the recent threads that are shown under the "portal" option I've been using for years.

Reply #4
The portal listing doesn't show the fb2k forum posts, nor anything in the recycle bin. It also only shows a small fixed number of recent posts. Are there other things missing?

AFAICT, view new posts shows all new posts, including those that have been locked and/or moved to the recycle bin. You can change the time period it shows bottom right.

I wouldn't dream of browsing the forum not logged in. It's trivial to tick "remember me" (or whatever it's called) when logging in. Without logging in, you can't see which threads you've already contributed too.

Cheers,
David.

Reply #5
I can't understand why you wouldn't sign in? Once you're signed in it knows when you last visited so can properly highlight new threads for you for one thing. Plus I believe in your admin area you can see all threads you created and are subscribed to.

Reply #6
Latest posts is limited to these forums: 17,27,28,29,33,34,39,41,42,44,43,45,49,46,50,53,52

I think some recent ones may be missing there, like the Opus forum. Many of the others are intentional (like this forum).

Reply #7
Opus shows up already.

From the top-level category “Hydrogenaudio Forum”, only threads from General Audio, Polls, Listening Tests, and Scientific Discussion are displayed on the Portal. Wiki Discussion is not shown. Neither is anything from Digital Audio/Video – something that I suggest be changed. Nothing is shown for foobar2000, which obviously makes sense, although apparently it confuses some people enough that they miss the link in the menu and post in General Audio. Finally, none of General Music Discussion, Off-Topic, or the Recycle Bin are listed on the Portal, which makes sense.

Reply #8
Why would I not want to sign on? HA is not as bad as some sites, where loading takes several minutes or more every screen, but signing on does require two extra screen changes. By the time I go through all that, I could have read through the listed topics , seen there was nothing there for me this trip, and moved on. Staying permanently signed on? Nothing stays when I close the browser. That isn't going to change.

I can't say if there are other things that don't show up under 'view new posts' but my recent thread in Off-Topic, which has had some hits, and in which I am quite interested, does not.

The heading displayed, under view new topics, is "Your topics." I don't know if that derives from the mindless, and annoying, "your ... " that Microsoft sticks all over the place, but what shows up there is definitely not mine in any sense. Also, time wise, there is just Today, which is not my today, the HA clock being from quite a different time zone, so then I must go to the page's bottom, select for the week, press another go button, then wait while all the same stuff is redisplayed again, just to get to what I was looking at this morning, such as this thread, before I can go forward.

Reply #9
I can't say if there are other things that don't show up under 'view new posts' but my recent thread in Off-Topic, which has had some hits, and in which I am quite interested, does not.
I just listed the subforums that don’t show up.

Everything else you have quibbles about are almost certainly just default features of IP.Board, seeing as (bearing in mind that I’m no expert on said software) Hydrogenaudio’s installation thereof isn’t much more than lightly modified from stock.

Reply #10
but signing on does require two extra screen changes

For the initial time only. Select remember me and you never sign in again.

Reply #11
but signing on does require two extra screen changes

For the initial time only. Select remember me and you never sign in again.

AndyH-ha anticipated that advice:

Staying permanently signed on? Nothing stays when I close the browser. That isn't going to change.

You could argue that one has to live with inconveniences that are caused by oneself …

Reply #12
I assume that you must have cookies enabled to remain permamently signed on. Any computer that is for my exclusive use, I am permanently signed on to HA without any problems.

Reply #13
I saw the list of forums (17,27,28,29,33,34,39,41,42,44,43,45,49,46,50,53,52) and I could probably even figure out which is which. What that doesn't tell me is why. It seems dysfunctional. I like HA, I look at it almost every day. but it has more peculiar restrictions than any other forums I've ever used.

Anyway, I posted this thread to learn something. Probably everything relevant has been said by now except maybe some people's opinions and preferences.

Reply #14
I saw the list of forums (17,27,28,29,33,34,39,41,42,44,43,45,49,46,50,53,52) and I could probably even figure out which is which.
That wasn’t what I was talking about. It was this:
From the top-level category “Hydrogenaudio Forum”, only threads from General Audio, Polls, Listening Tests, and Scientific Discussion are displayed on the Portal. Wiki Discussion is not shown. Neither is anything from Digital Audio/Video – something that I suggest be changed. Nothing is shown for foobar2000, which obviously makes sense, although apparently it confuses some people enough that they miss the link in the menu and post in General Audio. Finally, none of General Music Discussion, Off-Topic, or the Recycle Bin are listed on the Portal, which makes sense.

What that doesn't tell me is why. It seems dysfunctional. I like HA, I look at it almost every day. but it has more peculiar restrictions than any other forums I've ever used.
So ask an admin. I don’t see what’s dysfuctional about things like Off-Topic and General Music Discussion not being listed on the front page of a forum about digital audio technology. Not that they get much traffic in relative terms, so it wouldn’t make much difference if they were there, but I don’t see how it’s so annoying. Still, I’m not saying it’s perfect: I already stated my opinion that the subforum for A/V should be added to the list. But it’s hardly “peculiar”.

Reply #15
I didn't say annoying, I said dysfunctional. It seems to me that, since "Portal" is part of the forum, if a topic has been posted to recently, in any part of HA, it should appear in Portal. That is very simple and straight forward. I don't see any conceptual reason for it not to be done. I don't know about some possible technical difficulty. The postings are part of HA, even if not part of a favored list. As is, if one knows about the peculiarities, one can make the effort to check other places. I suppose for people with broadband that is less of a consideration.

Another peculiar aspect is the inability to attach to a normal thread. Of a dozen or more forums I use, this is the only one with that strange restriction. I can see putting limits on the total amount of bytes, and, if necessary, not keeping it forever, but what value is served by requiring one to download the attachment to another thread in another sub-forum, then figure out how to make links to it from where one actually wants it?

All that aside, I didn't make this thread to try to castigate HA into operating the way I think it should. I just ask how to understand it.

Reply #16
Another way to browse through recent posts could be using RSS feeds. Unfortunately this method has two major faults: it lists only those forums that are on portal page and sometimes the subject of a post shows up, but the content is completely void (this seems too me happening nearl always when the poster edit it after first submission).

By the way: this is also a way to have new posts reformatted in a somewhat more mobile friendly way. HA UI by itself is actually unbearable on mobile browsers, very appalling to read and absolutely impossible too post!
... I live by long distance.

Reply #17
I didn't say annoying, I said dysfunctional. It seems to me that, since "Portal" is part of the forum, if a topic has been posted to recently, in any part of HA, it should appear in Portal. That is very simple and straight forward.
And that is what “View New Posts” (includes things that appear on the Portal + threads from fb2k’s subforum) and especially “Active Topics” (seems to include everything from the main forums) are for. The Portal, in contrast, is just that, a sort of entrance hall for the forums that is meant only to showcase some things rather than to be a comprehensive list of activity, which is already provided via other links.

It’s not that I can’t sort of see your point, but I don’t think the Portal has much wrong with it at the moment, and as far as I can make out, the functionality you want is already available by a click or two or, if you don’t want all that extra work, an alternative bookmark.

Some other things seem unintuitive but probably have defined reasons. An admin ought to have some ideas. Perhaps there are even some things that have just been left as-is since the site was originally set up, in which case, some tweaks might be useful, and thus constructive feedback (which I’m not saying yours isn’t) could be useful to everyone.

Edit: highlighting Active Topics as it doesn’t seem to have been mentioned but does seem to meet the criteria in your OP.

Reply #18
Yeah, I realized this a long time ago, and since, I go to "more..." and then on the bottom, select "get active topics for" and a range of dates. Regarding staying logged in, what browser are you using? If Firefox, you can just whitelist any site's cookies you want, and still tell FF to delete all others when you close, that's what I do. When you open up FF again it will keep you logged into those whitelisted sites.