Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How do I create a cue sheet based on the track lengths of separate MP3 (Read 2517 times) previous topic - next topic

How do I create a cue sheet based on the track lengths of separate MP3

I have an album of separate MP3 files.  I want to join the files in order to edit audio levels for the entire album.  After making changes I want to be able to split the track into separate MP3 files once again.  I know that a single track can be cut using a cue sheet.  I would like to know if I can create a cue sheet based on the track lengths of the individual MP3 files before I join them?

Reply #1
MP3Gain will edit the audio levels of individual MP3 files logically as if they are an entire album.
http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/

Reply #2
I want to join the files in order to edit audio levels for the entire album. After making changes I want to be able to split the track into separate MP3 files once again.
FYI - You can apply the same gain to all files without combining them first.  For example, combining all of the files into a single file and boosting the gain by 2dB and re-splitting  will give you the exact-same results as applying a 2dB gain to each individual file .

If you increase the volume, you have to be careful to avoid clipping (distortion).    There is no issue with reducing volumes.  Most digital albums are already normalized/maximized  for  0dB (or near 0dB) peaks,  even though some albums sound louder than others.  And, some quiet-sounding songs have 0dB peaks.

If I wanted to normalize (maximize) an album with individual files, here's how I'd approach it:

Load the files into my audio editor* (I happen to use GoldWave), and scan to find the track with the highest peak. 

That peak tells me how much I can increase the gain without clipping.    If the highest peak on all files  is -4dB, I can safely boost all files by 4dB (or less if I wish).  If there is a 0dB peak, I can't increase the level on all files without clipping.

* MP3 is lossy compression, so it's best to use a special-purpose non-distructive editor when you're doing something simple like a volume change, which can be done non-distructively.  MP3Gain is also non-destructive.    But all "regular" audio editors (GoldWave, Audacity, Audition, etc.) decompress the file before editing, and that means a 2nd lossy compression step if you re-save as MP3.

Also, the MP3 format itself doesn't have the 0dB limit like (integer WAV files), but clipping can happen depending on how its encoded & decoded, so it's generally good practice to keep the peaks below 0dB.

Reply #3
+2 dB isn't the best example; if making the adjustment via the global gain field (like with MP3Gain), then you're restricted to 1.5 dB increments.

MP3Gain has a -k switch and equivalent in the GUI to prevent clipping, so you shouldn't need to do the pre-scan with GoldWave.