Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: AudioShell 1.3.5 Half installs? (Read 10667 times) previous topic - next topic

AudioShell 1.3.5 Half installs?

Hi,
I have tried to install Audioshell.
It appears to go smoothly.
When I hover my mouse pointer over a sound file it shows all the extra info.
However when I right click on files and click n properties no audioshell tabs show up.
I have installed uninstalled and installed again.
I downloaded it from the official site.

I'm wondering if there is just something really obvious that I am failing to do.
I'm running win xp professional

Any help very much appreciated as there are no help pages on the official site.
I have read the short readme that comes with it and googled (and done a search here before signing up)

Thanks

Reply #1
I suppose you've installed it with Administartor account/rights, correct?

Reply #2
I have the exact same problem, with Windows XP Pro as well. And I am installing it as administrator.

I've been looking for an older version of AudioShell in case it worked, but I can't find any 

Reply #3
Well, I'm also with XP Pro and I don't have this problem.
You guys maybe have to write to the contact person from Softpointer
Meanwhile you can check whether your Windows installation is fine by trying another, similar program - mp3infp.
It should add also additional tabs to the Properties dialog.
If it fails as well, probably there is some mess with OS settings, firewall, something else?
~

Reply #4
I have the same problem.  Have you found a solution?

Thanks!

Hi,
However when I right click on files and click n properties no audioshell tabs show up.

I'm wondering if there is just something really obvious that I am failing to do.

I have read the short readme that comes with it and googled (and done a search here before signing up)

Thanks

Reply #5
All the installer does is registering the file audioshellext.dll. You can do this yourself by running regsvr32 audioshellext.dll.
Blubb

Reply #6
I've find solution myself.  The ColumnHandler and PropertyHandler are not installed properly.  You would need to add them to registry yourself.

Hi,

Thanks

Reply #7
i have the same issue... help anyone?

Reply #8
i have the same issue... help anyone?

Maybe cheerful can export the mentioned registry keys and post them here? Then the only think you should do is just to import them to your registry.

~

Reply #9
Here are the exported REG file.  In my case, the CLASS ID are installed properly but the handlers are registered.  I used ShellExView to compare machines where AudioShell works.  If you don't even have the CLASS ID, then you would need more registry editing.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\ShellEx\ColumnHandlers\{9D4E3F43-DB97-40D6-BDCB-7C9CFC69E222}]
@="{9D4E3F43-DB97-40D6-BDCB-7C9CFC69E222}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\ShellEx\PropertySheetHandlers\EasyNSE Handler [{281CBB00-E8AE-4B03-A7C7-221446698C0A}]]
@="{281CBB00-E8AE-4B03-A7C7-221446698C0A}"

Reply #10
thanks for the reply cheerful.

i tried to input the 2 registry entires you gave. but audioshell still won't work.

troublesome i know, but would it be possible for you to export out all the registry entries left by audioshell to a .reg? i would do it manually myself if i knew which directories to write to, but i really dont. many thanks!

Reply #11
I guess the class id are missing.  I don't know all the registry entries AS installs.  I imported more entries but thought these 2 are the one that made it work.  I will try to find the others.

What's your OS?  Do AS at least work when your mouse hoover over a mp3 file?

thanks for the reply cheerful.

i tried to input the 2 registry entires you gave. but audioshell still won't work.

troublesome i know, but would it be possible for you to export out all the registry entries left by audioshell to a .reg? i would do it manually myself if i knew which directories to write to, but i really dont. many thanks!

Reply #12
i'm running xp pro sp2. no, AS is not working at all at the moment. 

Reply #13
Here are all the entries with these 2 class ID's.  Make sure you change the directory to where you AS is installed.  Let me know if this works.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\ShellEx\ColumnHandlers\{9D4E3F43-DB97-40D6-BDCB-7C9CFC69E222}]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{9D4E3F43-DB97-40D6-BDCB-7C9CFC69E222}]
@="Softpointer Column Handler"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{9D4E3F43-DB97-40D6-BDCB-7C9CFC69E222}\InProcServer32]
@="C:\\apps\\media\\AUDIOS~1\\AUDIOS~1.DLL"
"ThreadingModel"="Apartment"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{9D4E3F43-DB97-40D6-BDCB-7C9CFC69E222}]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{9D4E3F43-DB97-40D6-BDCB-7C9CFC69E222}\InProcServer32]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\shellex\ColumnHandlers\{9D4E3F43-DB97-40D6-BDCB-7C9CFC69E222}]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\CLSID\{9D4E3F43-DB97-40D6-BDCB-7C9CFC69E222}]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\CLSID\{9D4E3F43-DB97-40D6-BDCB-7C9CFC69E222}\InProcServer32]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\ShellEx\PropertySheetHandlers\EasyNSE Handler [{281CBB00-E8AE-4B03-A7C7-221446698C0A}]]
@="{281CBB00-E8AE-4B03-A7C7-221446698C0A}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{281CBB00-E8AE-4B03-A7C7-221446698C0A}]
@="SoftpointerPropetryHandler"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{281CBB00-E8AE-4B03-A7C7-221446698C0A}\InProcServer32]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\CLSID\{281CBB00-E8AE-4B03-A7C7-221446698C0A}]
@="SoftpointerPropetryHandler"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\CLSID\{281CBB00-E8AE-4B03-A7C7-221446698C0A}\InProcServer32]

Reply #14
i'm running xp pro sp2. no, AS is not working at all at the moment. 

You may have a different problem.  After my installation, AudioShell works when my mouse hoover over an audio file.  The column handler and property tabs are missing, as  in the original post.

Reply #15
yeah !!!
finally got AS to work right. apparently, hkey_current_user permissions were off for my administrator account for some reason. i fixed that and imported the keys you gave and now everything works perfect.

thanks so much for your help cheerful !

Reply #16
Sorry to bump this old thread but it's the only one I could find on this topic. I seem to have the same problem as the OP. I'm running XP Pro. The tip balloon from AudioShell shows up but not the columns. I don't know how to input registry entries. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Reply #17
Just had to bump this one more time...
I just fixed AudioShell on my XP Pro machine as well, using the registry entries from cheerful.
When I just entered the first two Registry keys, it still didn't work.
But after adding the additional entries and rebooting, it now works as advertised.
Thanks!