Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Newbie with some questions about phone audio (Read 2375 times) previous topic - next topic

Newbie with some questions about phone audio

I am currently using a Zune 30 as my mp3 player. I would like to upgrade and am interested in Android, so I thought I'd just buy a used phone and use it for an mp3 player and apps (sort of like an Android iPod touch). I was looking at the galaxy s2 as it has a dual core processor and the s3 just came out, so I would think the used prices would go down. However, I was reading online that the Yamaha DAC it uses is suboptimal. For instance the tests here: Samsung Galaxy S2 Tests. However, I don't know enough about audio to determine how much that would effect me. So I would like to know if there would be an audible difference with my headphones. I use Koss Portapros and Etymotic er-6is.

Reply #1
I am currently using a Zune 30 as my mp3 player. I would like to upgrade and am interested in Android, so I thought I'd just buy a used phone and use it for an mp3 player and apps (sort of like an Android iPod touch).

I imagine most of the used phones available are 2+ years old (if they were first bought with most carriers' 2 year obligation).  For less you might find something without the phone function but otherwise more capable (and new.)    I haven't shopped that market, but I know I've seen phone/touch sized android players in the stores, and have seen 7 inch android tablets for under $100 (not top performers but, again, compare to 2 year old phones...)

Reply #2
I imagine most of the used phones available are 2+ years old (if they were first bought with most carriers' 2 year obligation).  For less you might find something without the phone function but otherwise more capable (and new.)    I haven't shopped that market, but I know I've seen phone/touch sized android players in the stores, and have seen 7 inch android tablets for under $100 (not top performers but, again, compare to 2 year old phones...)

Unfortunately, this isn't the case.  Except for the Sony Walkman Z, which doesn't have expandable memory, all of the other phone sized devices range from slightly less powerful than the two year old Samsung galaxy s, to significantly less powerful, and I am not interested in a tablet. I am actually seeing S2s available used because people upgrade to something like the Note phablets or switch carriers, and this is not something I am in a tearing hurry to do. So if I know that an S2 would be acceptable I can wait till one pops up for me.

Reply #3
There are a lot of Galaxy S2 models with different chipsets.  Unless you're buying the exact one Ananadtech tested, those results won't apply.