Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: rename folder from tags of files within the folder? (Read 3239 times) previous topic - next topic

rename folder from tags of files within the folder?

I have some cds I ripped a few years ago, they are in folders named Artist - Album. These days I like to name my music folders a bit differently,
Artist - Album - Year (bitrate)

When i'm tagging albums, the tagging app I use renames the folder according to the tags, but what i'm wanting is to go back and rename folders for albums that have been tagged long ago, I just want the folder renamed. Is there a way to do this short of renaming the folders manually? I really would like the date in the folder name of the albums, but thats alot of work, to rename each folder by hand.

Thanks for any advice.

Reply #1
Foobar2000, file operations, move.

Reply #2
kisli, thanks for the reply, the moving thing seems to work great for renaming folders, just copy the album, erase the original and copy back. together with renaming the files according to your liking this is a handy tool

i had a couple questions, if you (or someone else)  wont mind:

during the moving process, is there possibly a way to do something like capitalize file names from tag info? if the tag info is lower case, the file name comes out lower case also, i dont know if there are advanced options like this? if not i guess youd have to get into the files with a tagger first and capitalize the info.

is there possibly a way during the moving process, to have foobar also create a secondary directory within the main directory? i always make a folder within the main album folder called "album art" and i always have to do this manually.

when the files are copied and named, the bitrate reads as FLAC or MP3, is there a possibility to lower case this? i usually have mine read (flac)

i have another hundred albums to tag and sort, then i really need to go back through my albums and clean some things up, probably need a year for that lol.... i see now that ive been doing some things a bit like a caveman, im glad im finally learning some expeditious ways of doing this stuff.

any other add ins for foobar related to tagging i need to peruse?

i think ive posted this in the wrong forum, please accept my apologies ;(

thanks again

edit: i just learned how to make a new playlist, drop in what all albums i wanna work with, select all, properties, and then click capitalize  then the copying/movin will come out looking nice.

Reply #3
$caps(X), where X is your string, capitalises first letters, but I recommend capitalising tags instead. Right-click on selected items, open Properties, right click on tag(s) name(s), Capitalise.

$lower(X) will make X lowercase

"\" will make subdir (e.g. %artist%\%date%-%album%\%filename%).  "/" and "|" also work.

Help, Title Formatting Help should have all you need.

EDIT:
Moving album art to sub-folders is not possible with foobar, AFAIK.

Reply #4
i just noticed something about copying/moving files:

if i have the %bitrate% title used, when copying foobar creates a new directory for every file with a different bitrate lol

i just wanted (and have specified) the naming like so:

artist - album - year - (codec bitrate)\artist - album - track - title

i didnt need a new folder with every song with a different bitrate lol, can i stop this beyond having to not use the bitrate title?

Reply #5
I'm no scripting guru, this one is a bit tricky.

Replace (codec bitrate) string with:
$if($not($stricmp(%codec_profile%,CBR)),%codec%[ %codec_profile%],%codec% %bitrate%) 

This will write out bitrates for CBR mp3s only, -V quality for VBR mp3s, and only codec for files with no %codec_profile%. I don't know what it will do for other formats, I don't have any oggs etc. to test it.

I'm certain there is a better way to do this, maybe you should ask in foobar forum.