Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Audio Streaming Rippers (Read 5788 times) previous topic - next topic

Audio Streaming Rippers

Hello People,

This is my first post.
I really need to excuse in advance for my ignorance and for my bad english! 

Some time ago I was trying to find software to record streaming audio (radio stations and other kinds of streaming available on the internet.)
I found a lot of tools that can grab the output of my sound card and save it as a mp3 or wave files. But couldn't find any that just take the streaming packets data, get rid of all headers and formating and create a wave or mp3 file.

I started to think that this maybe something about copyright or something like that, but could not find discussions on the matter.

And... Voilá... Today I found HA and some old questions just poped up on my head again.
As I think some of you guys have a much better understanding of the problem I just created this topic to discuss the matter.

Why there is no software capable of creating wave or mp3 files directly from the streaming packets (Those that enter our Network card when we connect with radios and all kind of protected materials.)
Is a legal problem?
The protocols and CODECS of this comunications are protected, unknown?
Are those CODECS or protocols protected by copyright and patent?

As I like to use Linux for all these stuff and want to schedule and automate those kind of "downloads" I'm very frustrated with all that!

Audio Streaming Rippers

Reply #1
What you want is a program called Streamripper; it is open source (GPL), multi-platform, and the legality depends on your usage (sort of like a VCR deck, or cassette recorder, or anything else...).

Streamripper is capable of direct transcription of MP3-based Shoutcast streams, but the recording of RealAudio/Media, Windows Media or Live365 streams is disabled.

- M.

Audio Streaming Rippers

Reply #2
but the recording of RealAudio/Media, Windows Media or Live365 streams is disabled.

Is it unavailable or you just need to compile it with the correct #defines in order to rip these formats/Live365?

Damn, if that's the case, I would love to host a non-limited version of SR at RareWares. :B

Anyway, you can rip Real/WM streams with Streambox VCR (Windows only, unfortunately). Google around.

Regards;

Me.

Audio Streaming Rippers

Reply #3
Is it unavailable or you just need to compile it with the correct #defines in order to rip these formats/Live365?

Live 365 is disabled, with the following explanation (lifted from the FAQ):
Why doesn't it work with Live365 streams?
Live365 threatened a law suit if Streamripper did not disable ripping from their site, there's more about this in 'History (old news)' (in the menu on the left) if you scroll down a bit, including the cease and desist letter.

As for RealAudio and Windows Media, the author has periodically mentioned the possibility of adding this support (most recently over a year ago...):
News 3/27/2001 Sabbatical
Been doing NOTHING for the last 2 weeks, it's been pretty nice. I've also gotten a good deal better at Counter Strike. Starting to think about doing something again, though I don't know if it'll be Streamripper. If I do get back to it I'll probably try to add windows media and realaudio ripping... seems to be the biggest request.

Of course I'm always up for someone else to work on that, anyone, anyone?

You might contact the author about the possibility of a special compile, or to find out if he's made any progress. 

- M.

Audio Streaming Rippers

Reply #4
Streamripper is capable of direct transcription of MP3-based Shoutcast streams, but the recording of RealAudio/Media, Windows Media or Live365 streams is disabled.

- M.

For recording Windows Media there is "Windows Media Recorder" available here : http://www.netfor2.com/

And it works well

Audio Streaming Rippers

Reply #5
For recording Windows Media there is "Windows Media Recorder" available here : http://www.netfor2.com/

I was unaware of that site... but of the programs offered there, WorldTV looks more interesting to me. Believe it or not, I did not realize there were any stations offering fully streamable television broadcasts online! 

After downloading it and playing with it a little, I learned that

1) the WorldTV tuner only supports Windows Media Player streams, and
    2) the file "UrlsTv.txt" (which contains the directory for those streams) is highly configurable to describe and sort stations, with optional links to the relevant website.

... which leads the next logical question:

Has anyone done a more extensive "UrlsTv.txt" which sorts stations by categories, adds meaningful descriptions, and (hopefully) adds some more interesting channels? I'd love to get something like Sci-Fi, or the Cartoon Network, but there doesn't seem to be anything similar in the currently available list.  (Any sort of more extensive list of Windows Media Player television streams and their websites would be welcome, regardless of whether they've already been incorporated into a "UrlsTv.txt" file or not.)

- M.

Edit: Fixed spelling errors.

Audio Streaming Rippers

Reply #6
For Real and WindowsMedia there also is/was StreamboxVCR!, which is capable of saving RTSP, PNM and MMS streams (those are the protocols). But AFAIK distributing it is a bit problematic, so I can't give you a direct link, but as always Google is your friend.

dev0
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Audio Streaming Rippers

Reply #7
Live 365 is disabled, with the following explanation (lifted from the FAQ):
Why doesn't it work with Live365 streams?
Live365 threatened a law suit if Streamripper did not disable ripping from their site, there's more about this in 'History (old news)' (in the menu on the left) if you scroll down a bit, including the cease and desist letter.

Does anybody know in what point would it be illegal to record the internet radio streams to a hard drive? A relevant comparison would be to the traditional radio, where you always have been welcome to record as many shows as you possibly could - as long as you are doing it for a personal use. That's the case as least in Sweden, and AFAIK it's the same in most part of the world.

Audio Streaming Rippers

Reply #8
You can rip ogg vorbis streams with the plugin for winamp. (in the settings)

another possibility:

open the playlist with the editor an download the stream with getright.
getright makes a file with the endigng *.getright,  rename it to *.ogg

-lazka

Audio Streaming Rippers

Reply #9

Thank you all!

Its clearly a matter of lagality in use closed protocols and CODECS.
Thats why I think Open Source comunity will show some "sharing" lessons to the world.

Hope this topic was usefull to other people as it was for me!

Audio Streaming Rippers

Reply #10
Nothing as doing some HomeWork.

Today I was prepared to write a ASF ripper for Linux.
I started to gather some material on specs of the ASF file and streaminf and...
JUST WONDER 
I found a sourceforge project called ASFRecorder!

http://sourceforge.net/projects/asfrecorder/

It does what I need.
It has a GUI (Windows) and command line (Win & *NIX) interface.
And works very nice!

My special thanx to rjamorim for being kind enough to help in my LAME requests.
Thanx all!