Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Converting FLAC to LAME using Foobar? (Read 5304 times) previous topic - next topic

Converting FLAC to LAME using Foobar?

Alright, after an hour or so searching these forums I was unable to find an answer to my question.

I have a .cue'd FLAC file that I want to convert to MP3's.  I have Foobar v0.8.3 installed and I have the recommended lame3.97b2 bundle from RareWare as well as the recommended settings.  I have not yet done anything with the lame .zip. 

What I don't understand is where to go from here.  Does lame need to be installed, or simply unzipped to a Foobar subdir. 

Thanks,
Kyoujin

Reply #1
put lame.exe in foobar dir. open the .cue in foobar it should split the file automatically, sellect all the tracks and right click on "Convert to"...

make sure that you have configured the diskwriter in foobar preferences.
JorSol
aoTuVb5 -q4

Reply #2
Lame.exe doesn't even need to be in the foobar2000 directory for fb2k version 0.8.3.  Just unzip the lame.exe to any directory you like, and in diskwriter preferences, edit the LAME profile to point to lame.exe.  Also make sure you have foo_clienc installed as well as the diskwriter (foo_diskwriter, both are included in the special installer).

Reply #3
and it should work very smooth...this is exactely, what I am doing with Foobar

Reply #4
Thanks for the replies.  I figured it out myself, though.  For whatever reason, there was no "lame" setting in the convert settings.  That's what stumped me.  A reinstall fixed everything.  Perhaps it was related to what file associations I set.  The first time I installed Foobar I associated only the file types that WinAmp couldn't handle.  This time, however, I chose to associate foobar with all compatible file types.

Reply #5
For whatever reason, there was no "lame" setting in the convert settings.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=361378"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Most likely, this is because foo_clienc wasn't installed.  It has nothing to do with file associations.

Reply #6
Hi,

Perhaps someone can help me also as I am looking for similar information.  In my case I want to convert wav to MP3 with foobar.  I have the same problem that Kyoujin had - there is no "LAME" option in the convert settings.  I have re-installed foobar (0.8.3) but this has made no difference.  Also, I cannot find the file "foo_clienc"

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Spockman

*** Please disregard above.  I have figured it out!!  ***
Sorry for the time waste.

Reply #7
A few more questions if you don't mind...  I need a little info about optimal diskwriter settings.

Under Commandline Encoder Settings -- Encoder Settings there are three options I am unsure about.  1) Highest BPS mode supported, 2) Pass floating point data (some lossy encoders only), and 3) Encoder requires accurate length.

Under Diskwriter -- Processing there are three more options. 1) Use DPS [What DSP's should I activate?], 2) Don't reset DSP between files, and 3) Use ReplayGain

Under Diskwriter -- Full file buffering there are two variables.  1) Buffer files up to: xKB, and 2) A slider called "Thread Priority".

Lastly, when encoding my FLAC file to LAME vbr/new at V 0-through-3, the mp3 ends up sounding much louder than the FLAC.  And I think it's a little less crisp as well.  Why is that? 

Thanks,
Kyoujin