Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Is it bad to convert to folder be monitored by foobar2000? (Read 5458 times) previous topic - next topic

Is it bad to convert to folder be monitored by foobar2000?

Is it bad to convert to my flac files to mp3 to a folder that is being monitored by foobar2000?

I just want to play it safe.

Reply #1
well the library would pick this up and display the same tracks twice when selecting an artist/album using whichever method you use to browse your library.

but having a "codec" album list branch (or facet/filter) before artist/album would sort this. and i must admit, i'm not really sure why you'd want the same music in different formats as part of the same library though.

Reply #2
Why do you think so?

It is not bad, sometimes you only can get a message in foobar's console that it could not add the (still incomplete or temporary) destination file.

I see this somestimes when the conversion's destination folder is on a slow (external or network) drive, but the completed file ever is added to the media library error-free.
This is HA. Not the Jerry Springer Show.

Reply #3
I use the flac to archive but I mostly play the mp3 files while I am at the computer and I would just make a autoplaylist for my flac library and one for my mp3 library but otherwise it is bad to do this?

Reply #4
Why do you think so?

It is not bad, sometimes you only can get a message in foobar's console that it could not add the (still incomplete or temporary) destination file.

I see this somestimes when the conversion's destination folder is on a slow (external or network) drive, but the completed file ever is added to the media library error-free.

So the the completed file is error free, that is want I wanted to hear thanks.

Reply #5
The only problem I could see arising (if it is indeed a problem) is that you'd end up with both the flacs and the mp3s in your music library (assuming the flacs started out in a monitored folder too). It doesn't strike me as much different than either ripping from CD directly to a monitored folder, or downloading a file to a monitored folder, both things I do all the time without any trouble.

Reply #6
I use the flac to archive but I mostly play the mp3 files while I am at the computer and I would just make a autoplaylist for my flac library and one for my mp3 library but otherwise it is bad to do this?

can you explain your reasoning for this? why not just play the flac files? what you're suggesting will work fine. i just think it's a waste of time, effort and disk space.

Reply #7
can you explain your reasoning for this? why not just play the flac files? what you're suggesting will work fine. i just think it's a waste of time, effort and disk space.

I use the mp3's for my mp3 player but I have plenty of space and I don't have that much music. Also my flac files are on and external hard drive.

Reply #8
I don't understand your reasons for playing the mp3s instead of the flac files but this is not necessarily.  

Create autoplaylists which contains only your desired file types this way:

%path% HAS "c:\your path\subfolder" AND "$ext(%path%)" IS flac
%path% HAS "c:\your path\subfolder" AND "$ext(%path%)" IS mp3

Reply #9
I created an autoplaylist for my mp3 files and then I added the new david bowie album and it does not show up in the autoplaylist why?

Edit: Nevermind I fixed by sorting by artist.

Also I do play the flac files but not as much as the mp3 files.

Reply #10
Edit: Nevermind I fixed by sorting by artist.

You can add something like

SORT BY %artist%

to the autoplaylist's query for sorting it automatically (the sort-command must be the last element in your query).

Reply #12
How do I set the query for a autoplaylist?

Go to menu Library / Search.

Type in the query:

%path% HAS "c:\your path\subfolder" AND "$ext(%path%)" IS mp3 SORT BY %artist%

Then click on "..." on the right site of the search field -> "Create Autoplaylist".

Reply #13
Thanks it works great

Now I have a complete solution to my audio needs.

Reply #14
You are welcome!  

Robertina.