Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [USELESS] From: How do you listen to an ABX test? (Read 9520 times) previous topic - next topic

[USELESS] From: How do you listen to an ABX test?

It's an interesting & revealing discussion. Great to see the details of just what blind tests ACTUALLY means to the main stalwarts & will serve as a great point of reference for many in the future  Cheers & keep it up, most entertaining!

BTW, full credit to S&M for perseverance in the face of adversity - we could all learn from this - I certainly could

Reply #2
It's an interesting & revealing discussion. Great to see the details of just what blind tests ACTUALLY means to the main stalwarts & will serve as a great point of reference for many in the future  Cheers & keep it up, most entertaining!

BTW, full credit to S&M for perseverance in the face of adversity - we could all learn from this - I certainly could

SoundAndMotion and you are good canditates to become some fellows! He seems to be motivated by you as much as you like his writing now
Link to CA: "I was motivated by a thread on HA where some guy named jkeny..."
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #4
Do you have anything of substance and on-topic, or are you just being a troll, per usual?

Sorry to see your knee-jerk reaction to my post. Please don't close the thread as a result of my post (as you did a previous thread) - I find it most enlightening. Read into that what you will. As you were.

Reply #5

SoundAndMotion and you are good canditates to become some fellows! He seems to be motivated by you as much as you like his writing now
Link to CA: "I was motivated by a thread on HA where some guy named jkeny..."

Oh, I've been referred to by him - I'm flattered - I didn't think my posts really had any effect on this forum but I'm glad to see someone of S&M's obvious expertise in the neurosciences area found something of value in them.

As I said, continue as you were, it really is most interesting!

Reply #6
Do you have anything of substance and on-topic, or are you just being a troll, per usual?

Sorry to see your knee-jerk reaction to my post. Please don't close the thread as a result of my post (as you did a previous thread) - I find it most enlightening. Read into that what you will. As you were.

As if the closure was just due to one post.

Glad to see you're just as predictable as I am.  This time you won't be allowed to derail the discussion, however.

Reply #7
"made some good points"

...no sorry, he didn't.

Correct, I didn't make any better points than the fact that after the first one or two  trials, for most on the thread you closed (most who are also posting on this thread) when no difference is heard, they stop trying to hear any difference. "life is too short" was the justification for this approach. For the rest of the 14 trials of Foobar ABX (16 being the default number of trials), they just answer randomly. This adds to that scenario in an interesting way.

Please don't stop this discussion - continue as you were!

Reply #8
mods:  please split trolling to recycling bin

Reply #9
I’m guessing that what first looked like interest and an offer to help, was really an attempt to bait me into saying something you’d find amusing. If so, success! See my first response to you.

Well, can't help you with that paranoia thing and if those PMs happen to be from certain individuals with strong pecuniary interests in peddling $50k amps and $2k magic DACs designed by Biologists...well, can't help you there either. Up to you to figure out why they may want to pound the drums of uncertainty about blind tests under the guise of scientific rigor...except for their own jewelry.
You did get one thing right. I do allow audiophiles to supply all their own rope for my use, much to my amusement. 
AJ

If you're going to try taking pot-shots at me " $2k magic DACs designed by Biologists" try to get your facts right - my DACs cost €500, not $2K & I'm not a Biologist

Reply #11
If you're going to try taking pot-shots at me " $2k magic DACs designed by Biologists" try to get your facts right - my DACs cost €500, not $2K & I'm not a Biologist

Hi John,
So you are neither a Biologist, nor sell $2k DACs, but figured I was talking about you?
Hmmm, what's the word or phrase I'm looking for here?
Well, at least we know who might have sent the PM. See how easy that was? 

John, any idea how your €500 DAC might fare against, say, a €50 DAC, in an ABX or other blind test? What sort of interest level would you have in a such a test? What would you listen for?

cheers,

AJ
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #12
He already stated he doesn't like ABX testing because it isn't sensitive enough [to measure his customers' fomented imaginations].

Reply #13
Nevertheless, you're still peddling snake oil.

Ye, sure, that's a very informed approach. Have you or Aj actually listened to one of my DACs? I Thought not - you can't even get the basic details correct & yet you make unfounded claims - very scientific & objective

Reply #15

Hi John,
So you are neither a Biologist, nor sell $2k DACs, but figured I was talking about you?
Well, the first part of your post was about Amir so who was th esecond part about, if not me?
Hmmm, what's the word or phrase I'm looking for here?
Foot in your mouth, I believe is the phrase you're looking for
Well, at least we know who might have sent the PM. See how easy that was?
I really don't know what PM you're talking about

John, any idea how your €500 DAC might fare against, say, a €50 DAC, in an ABX or other blind test? What sort of interest level would you have in a such a test? What would you listen for?

cheers,

AJ
Typical ABX/blind tests that don't have false negatives controls are not to be trusted - I would be happy to have my DAC & a €50 DAC in identical boxes listened to & lived with over time. This would require a way of hiding clues from computer drivers to be a blind test.

Reply #16
Show me evidence that your DAC sounds any different from one that costs just half as much.

You made the claim that I sell snake-oil DACs so show the evidence for your claim. I thought subjective claims were disallowed on this site without evidence? TOS #8 , I believe

Reply #17
He already stated he doesn't like ABX testing because it isn't sensitive enough [to measure his customers' fomented imaginations].

Got any evidence for yet another claim?

Reply #18
You made the claim that I sell snake-oil DACs so show the evidence for your claim. I thought subjective claims were disallowed on this site without evidence?

Please quote the rule I have broken.

Noting your edit to include TOS #8:
Sigh.  Again(!), please quote the rule I have broken.

Reply #19
He already stated he doesn't like ABX testing because it isn't sensitive enough

As if your prattling on and on about false negatives isn't adequate?

Reply #20
You made the claim that I sell snake-oil DACs so show the evidence for your claim. I thought subjective claims were disallowed on this site without evidence?

Please quote the rule I have broken.

Noting your edit to include TOS #8:
Sigh.  Again(!), please quote the rule I have broken.

So you have no evidence for your claim - it's purely emotion-based.

Reply #21
You clearly have a problem with reading comprehension, or you're being evasive.  There are no other alternatives, so which one is it?

Assuming the former, I will quote the operative word from TOS #8: difference.

Where's your evidence that your DACs sound different form those which that cost half as much?

Please refer to TOS #8 to see what constitutes acceptable evidence on this forum.

Reply #22
He already stated he doesn't like ABX testing because it isn't sensitive enough

As if your prattling on and on about false negatives isn't adequate?

Once I see blind tests with false negative controls then we can all evaluate the sensitivity of such tests. Until then, I will continue to prattle on

Reply #23
You clearly have a problem with reading comprehension, or you're being evasive.  There are no other alternatives, so which one is it?

I find your posts emotional & aggressive & don't believe this line of discourse is of any value to the thread - do you?

Reply #24
Once I see blind tests with false negative controls then we can all evaluate the sensitivity of such tests. Until then, I will continue to prattle on smile.gif
...waving your hands, no doubt.  Thank you for conceding the point.  You'll never admit to being a fraud, of course.