Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: CoverDownloader (Read 330780 times) previous topic - next topic

CoverDownloader

Reply #50
Thanks

CoverDownloader

Reply #51
This is a great tool, I have so much use for it.

The only issues I can find with it are:
- The amazon script pops up an error when there are no results, but there are real results from the other scripts.
- The thumbnails window is too small, I only can see 2 columns worth of covers, 5 would be nice.. or if it remembered.
- Would be nice to have the dos prompt window minimized.
- The cover downloader should close after it's finished downloading.

Hope to see some updates... Good work

CoverDownloader

Reply #52
This is a great tool, I have so much use for it.

The only issues I can find with it are:
- The amazon script pops up an error when there are no results, but there are real results from the other scripts.
- The thumbnails window is too small, I only can see 2 columns worth of covers, 5 would be nice.. or if it remembered.
- Would be nice to have the dos prompt window minimized.
- The cover downloader should close after it's finished downloading.

Hope to see some updates... Good work

Hi. I have a complete rewrite under way, it has a few issues that need sorting out, but it should be out today or tomorrow. Along with all the features listed above it has a 'preview' feature where you can see a particular cover in full before choosing to save it.

However it uses .NET 2.0, and although it is still slightly slower than the old version, .NET 2 really is nothing like .NET 1 in terms of speed, once the framework has been loaded (the first time you run it) its not noticeably slower than native code.

CoverDownloader

Reply #53
New version uploaded, see first post.

Sorry, I accidently deleted the old version 1 scripts from that post, but I still have them on my harddrive, and i'll upload v2 versions tomorrow.

CoverDownloader

Reply #54
Oh man! David, this rocks!! Thankyou!

CoverDownloader

Reply #55
David, thank you for your ongoing development!

edit:
a small remark:
What do you think of putting the existing coverart on top of all found covers?

edit2:
# Buy.com and Rateyourmusic report "0x0" inside the tooltip. Is this because of not beeing able to determine the size of the coverat?
# Click on a coverart to save it. Then press the same coverart again, while it's beeing saved. Error pops up. I don't post a screenshot now, since it's reproducable for me
# Are you intending on adding a checkbox "Close after retrieving coverart" (or alternativly offer a commandlineswitch)

edit3:
# changing "Thumbnailsize" takes affect after a restart. The borders are redrawn in the new size. However the coverart isn't refreshed and resized!

edit4:
# Errordescription inside the attached image
[a href="http://img45.imageshack.us/my.php?image=aufnahme11bs.png" target="_blank"]

CoverDownloader

Reply #56
David, thank you for your ongoing development!

edit:
a small remark:
What do you think of putting the existing coverart on top of all found covers?

How do you mean, like a side-by-side comparison?

edit2:
# Buy.com and Rateyourmusic report "0x0" inside the tooltip. Is this because of not beeing able to determine the size of the coverat?

Yes. There is no reliable way to know the size of their covers without downloading the full-size image
# Click on a coverart to save it. Then press the same coverart again, while it's beeing saved. Error pops up. I don't post a screenshot now, since it's reproducable for me

Hmm, I've got to think about what to do about that. I think the Error message is quite self-explanatory to most people, but maybe there could be a prompt whether to cancel downloading and begin downloading the newly selected art
# Are you intending on adding a checkbox "Close after retrieving coverart" (or alternativly offer a commandlineswitch)

Done. Sorry, this slipped my mind last time/

edit3:
# changing "Thumbnailsize" takes affect after a restart. The borders are redrawn in the new size. However the coverart isn't refreshed and resized!

Fixed also
edit4:
# Errordescription inside the attached image
[a href="http://img45.imageshack.us/my.php?image=aufnahme11bs.png" target="_blank"]

Hmm, the Buy.com script is not the best, it can sometimes return many unrelated results and sometimes gives 404 Not Found errors. I might have a look at it when I have some time, but don't forget the scripts are quite easy to edit, so if you think you know what you're doing have a fiddle. The language used is IronPython and you have access to the whole of the .NET Framework, using the 'import' command.

Please download the new version of the application, I've updated the first post.

CoverDownloader

Reply #57
Nice Update

But is it possible to implement these features:
You had the dimension of the images in you earlier version can you please put this back.

Since the loading time of it is slow, can you make it use the existing instance of Coverart if its already opened. Than creating another instance of the application.

CoverDownloader

Reply #58
How do you mean, like a side-by-side comparison?

No. I meant, that right now first the different results of the different scripts are shown. (always devided by ________). After that the existing cover is displayed. I just propose to turn this around, so that the existing cover is shown in first place, if it exists. The way I propose, the user can easily see, if he already has an existing cover (and on addition which quality it has (i.e. middleclick).
Was I clearer now?

I think the Error message is quite self-explanatory to most people, but maybe there could be a prompt whether to cancel downloading and begin downloading the newly selected art

Well. I guess I would do the two following things:
a) If it's the same cover: Do nothing and continue downloading
b) It it's a different cover: Stop old coverdownload and start new download without any message poping up. (You might use the logbox on the bottom of the screen)

I will test your new version later today! Thank you for the quick fixes!

edit:
It looks really good, the way it is now! And concerning my first quote in this post: You have already changed this?! Haven't you?

CoverDownloader

Reply #59
What version is the screenshot in the first post?

CoverDownloader

Reply #60
It is the new betaversion. It works smoothly for me!

CoverDownloader

Reply #61
how do i set permissions on the \folder.jpg original image to let me overwrite it when using this program?

right now i'm getting "System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path [...] is denied. At System.IO.__Error.WinIOError" etc. (if you need more details, i can post the full message)

CoverDownloader

Reply #62
I think that is caused by .NET's garbage collection not closing the handle for the preview for a while, I'll investigate it some time (maybe next weekend, this one has been rather, uh, rough)

CoverDownloader

Reply #65
Really great component, It works well for me except the error pop up when two double click at the same time (already descripted by Chaser)

I used AlbumArtAggregator, I think I will use only your component now

(By the way, it is quite slow to open, I don't know if you can change this)

edit
I have added a part about your program in my manual:
http://eolindel.free.fr/foobar0.9/albumart.shtml

CoverDownloader

Reply #66
I used AlbumArtAggregator, I think I will use only your component now

(By the way, it is quite slow to open, I don't know if you can change this)

Hmm yea, this is the aim of the next version. It will feature a 'queue', where multiple searches can be handled by the same instance, and further search requests from foobar will be added to the queue.

CoverDownloader

Reply #67
I really like the new version. A couple requests:

- Load time is a bit slow, can it get faster? Or maybe I'm being too picky...
- The spacing between thumbnails is way too wide. Can hardly fit that many albums on my screen even though its huge.
- The buy.com script always returns about 10 to 15 results that have nothing to do with what I searched for, and they're the same ones on every search I do for any album. I think they are all from a "top albums" section or something. They just look like popular albums. It would be nice if that was fixed as well, because it kind of gets in the way, especially when buy.com shows up first on the list.

Otherwise, this is a big improvement, keep up the good work.. I use this all the time

CoverDownloader

Reply #68
I really like the new version. A couple requests:

- Load time is a bit slow, can it get faster? Or maybe I'm being too picky...

Problem noted, see my post above
- The spacing between thumbnails is way too wide. Can hardly fit that many albums on my screen even though its huge.

It's much more compact on windows 2000 (no grouping).
I'll add an option to turn this on/off and to reduce whitespace between thumbs.
- The buy.com script always returns about 10 to 15 results that have nothing to do with what I searched for, and they're the same ones on every search I do for any album. I think they are all from a "top albums" section or something. They just look like popular albums. It would be nice if that was fixed as well, because it kind of gets in the way, especially when buy.com shows up first on the list.

Problem noted. I'll do some more digging through the buy.com HTML source. BTW the order of the groups is based on the script filenames, I've renamed my buy.com script to www.buy.com.py so it's at the end.

Edit: screwed up the quotes

CoverDownloader

Reply #69
So will it be possible to keep the gaps minimal but still keep the grouping of scripts?

Also, is it possible to include the artist name underneath the album name for the results? It would be easier to pick out the results that are wrong that way. When I think about it, if that were possible, why would it even show an album by an artist other than what I searched for?

CoverDownloader

Reply #70
Great program!  This has really made accumulating album art much easier.  Thanks. 

I do have a couple suggestions, though:

1.  When you tab from Artist to Album, could you highlight the present text in the Album field, so you can easily overwrite it?

2.  When selecting a path, it would be nice if folder.jpg (or perhaps last used filename) was the default, so you don't have to type it in each time.

Oh yeah, one more thing, how about an icon? 

Thanks again!

CoverDownloader

Reply #71
Minor request: be able to get the URL adress of the picture to be able to show covers easily on forums (right click or option)

CoverDownloader

Reply #72
So will it be possible to keep the gaps minimal but still keep the grouping of scripts?

Also, is it possible to include the artist name underneath the album name for the results? It would be easier to pick out the results that are wrong that way. When I think about it, if that were possible, why would it even show an album by an artist other than what I searched for?

I'll play around with some layouts for the next version.

Great program!  This has really made accumulating album art much easier.  Thanks. 

I do have a couple suggestions, though:

1.  When you tab from Artist to Album, could you highlight the present text in the Album field, so you can easily overwrite it?

2.  When selecting a path, it would be nice if folder.jpg (or perhaps last used filename) was the default, so you don't have to type it in each time.

Oh yeah, one more thing, how about an icon? 

Thanks again!

I'll keep these requests in mind too 

Minor request: be able to get the URL adress of the picture to be able to show covers easily on forums (right click or option)

Sure, that's a good idea.

Attached is an updated version of Buy.py which shouldn't return those vague results.

Grr, server won't accept .py. I've zipped it.

CoverDownloader

Reply #73
I love the cover art downloader but I have one request: The ability to view two different covers side by side so you can compare them and hopefully pick the better of the two.

Edit: I have another request: Have the dimensions of the art listed below the thumbnail.

Edit2: It appears that the new buy.com script gives this error on every search.

CoverDownloader

Reply #74
Is it possible for the text or something to be highlighted on the album if it matches the exact album name that I searched for?