Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Lossless audio compression with VirtualDub? (Read 8842 times) previous topic - next topic

Lossless audio compression with VirtualDub?

Hey all, quick question. I Just entered the world of video capture recently and am wondering if there are any lossless audio codecs that work with VirtualDub for capture. Thanks!

Reply #1
Nope, PCM is your only choice.
"We cannot win against obsession. They care, we don't. They win."

Reply #2
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=325087"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks, figured as much. How about transcoding the PCM to (for example) Wavpack, and then replacing the PCM audio track in the video file with it? I know there are Directshow filters for the playback of Wavpack and FLAC (haven't checked the others) so playing the final file shouldn't be a problem.

Reply #3
You can do that (FLAC, Wavpack or TTA) if you don't mind using Matroska. With AVI no such thing is possible.

Reply #4
You can do that (FLAC, Wavpack or TTA) if you don't mind using Matroska. With AVI no such thing is possible.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=325330"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Great, thanks for the heads up. Learning as I go, hehe.

Reply #5
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=325087"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

One more quick question. If PCM is my only choice, why are there compression options, including MP3? I can even install the Directshow filters that come with LAME and use those in VirtualDub as well. Not trying to be a pain, only trying to understand. Thanks again!

Reply #6
I meant to say: If you want to have lossless audio, PCM is your only choice.

Using MP3 is of course possible (watch out to not use ABR/VBR modes, as they wouldn't work in VirtualDub also), but that wouldn't be lossless.