Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Free utility to check all Wavpack files in a Directory. (Read 65693 times) previous topic - next topic

Free utility to check all Wavpack files in a Directory.

Updated - latest version: 1.0  (now with shell extension)

I've released a little standalone Windows utility that will check single Wavpack files, or all .wv files contained in a directory tree or drive for errors:
http://wavpack.gl.tter.org

Easy two-click operation.  It writes the full paths of any bad files found to a text file for further processing.  Useful when eg. like me you ripped 1500+ files with an overheating CPU, and had to track down the few corrupted ones.

Bug reports welcome (here or email).
Author of -Wavpack4Wavelab- and -CheckWavpackFiles-

Reply #1
Handy little app!  I just scanned a few album images and it worked great.

One question: it seems to beep/ding at arbitrary times... is there a reason for this?

BTW nice avatar!

Reply #2
Thanks gl.tter.
Synthetic Soul did something similar using .bat files, but I'm not sure if it checks for files in subdirectories http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....verify++wavpack
Allegari nihil et allegatum non probare, paria sunt.

Reply #3
Handy little app!  I just scanned a few album images and it worked great.

That was quick .

One question: it seems to beep/ding at arbitrary times... is there a reason for this?

It's only supposed to beep when it finds an error, and at the end.  If it doesn't let me know (my PC is minus a speaker right now but I can try it later).

BTW nice avatar!

Thanks.  Yours would be great animated .

Synthetic Soul did something similar using .bat files, but I'm not sure if it checks for files in subdirectories http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....verify++wavpack

Bat files are good, but I fancied throwing some eyecandy at it.  It's also easy to use for non-commandline fiends, just copy it to the dir where you want to scan from and double-click.  If any errors are found, the text file with details is auto-launched into eg. Notepad at the end.

Reply #4
That's great. I crossed my fingers and hoped to see such program appear soon... since I had to recover the content of a 300 GB HDD full of WavPack & FLAC encodings last summer (partition table was corrupted). I was able to check the flac collection (no errors) but the WavPack's one is still unverified for the moment.
Thank you for coding this (I'm a complete nut with .bat files  )

Reply #5
Nice handy little proggy, pretty useful, many thanks!
Using it now  ...
WavPack 5.6.0 -b384hx6cmv / qaac64 2.80 -V 100

Reply #6
Nice handy little proggy, pretty useful, many thanks!
Using it now  ...

Thanks guys.  Uploaded a new version, see the site for changes.

Reply #7
Yes, it will.

Bat files are good, but I fancied throwing some eyecandy at it.  It's also easy to use for non-commandline fiends, just copy it to the dir where you want to scan from and double-click.  If any errors are found, the text file with details is auto-launched into eg. Notepad at the end.
The BAT file is set up so that you can just drag the folder to check onto the BAT file icon and off it goes.  Pretty simple.  It records any fails in a temporary text file and then uses that to report any failed files in the same window, post-processing.

These things aside, I'm sure that many (most) people would prefer a nice EXE rather than a scary-sounding BAT file, so thanks for the work.

Edit: I've just had a look at the app - very nice indeed.  I have found it more easy to put the EXE in a folder in PATH and just call "checkwavpackfiles" on the commandline.  Other users may also be interested to know that you can also just drag a folder onto the EXE, or a shortcut to the EXE.  I find the idea of having to move the EXE to the folder in question too much hassle.  Thanks again.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #8
The BAT file is set up so that you can just drag the folder to check onto the BAT file icon and off it goes.  Pretty simple.  It records any fails in a temporary text file and then uses that to report any failed files in the same window, post-processing.

Cool.  My utility is useful for people who don't have the Wavpack utils, eg. people working in pro audio with my Wavelab plugin, but either is good.

Edit: I've just had a look at the app - very nice indeed.  I have found it more easy to put the EXE in a folder in PATH and just call "checkwavpackfiles" on the commandline.  Other users may also be interested to know that you can also just drag a folder onto the EXE, or a shortcut to the EXE.  I find the idea of having to move the EXE to the folder in question too much hassle.  Thanks again.

Good ideas, thanks.  I keep mine in the root of my Rockbox'ed portable player.

BTW, has anybody compared the SSE2 version with the normal one?  I haven't timed it but it seems a little faster on my PentiumD.  It's not hand-written SSE2, just letting the compiler spit it out.

Reply #9
Wow.  This is really nice.  I'm obviously not a very active member, but I had to log in to say thanks.  My music directory has gotten very messy recently.  This will be very useful when I decide to organize everything again.  I usually use MD5s to verify my files, but this will be great before creating an MD5 to check if i'm not hashing a bad file.

Thanks again.

Reply #10
That's great. I crossed my fingers and hoped to see such program appear soon... since I had to recover the content of a 300 GB HDD full of WavPack & FLAC encodings last summer (partition table was corrupted). I was able to check the flac collection (no errors) but the WavPack's one is still unverified for the moment.
Thank you for coding this (I'm a complete nut with .bat files  )

Hi guruboolez, what app/tool did you use to check the FLAC files?
Maybe just loading all in foobar would do it? I have noticed a few FLAC files in my collection that have corrupted

Apologies for going a little off topic (well from WavPack to FLAC).

Reply #13
If the program crashes as soon as you run it, you'll need the latest runtimes from MS (thanks Bryant).

Reply #14
New version uploaded.  See the site for changes:  http://wavpack.gl.tter.org

I've also updated my Wavelab Wavpack plugins (same page).

Reply #15
Thank you.

Have you noticed than even when it reaches the "Press Space to Exit." stage it still uses as much CPU as it's available and doesn't go really idle until you actually press the space bar?

Reply #16
Thank you.

Have you noticed than even when it reaches the "Press Space to Exit." stage it still uses as much CPU as it's available and doesn't go really idle until you actually press the space bar?

Thanks, download updated.  Easy to miss on a dual-core.

Reply #17

Thank you.

Thanks, download updated.  Easy to miss on a dual-core.
Wow, that's one fast fix, thank you!
For your info my CPU isn't dual core, it's a mere Sempron 3400+.

Reply #18
Wow, that's one fast fix, thank you!

You're welcome, easy fix.

For your info my CPU isn't dual core, it's a mere Sempron 3400+.

I meant I have a (fairly newish) dualie.  The problem is that you don't notice programs hogging the CPU on 'em as easily, as most will only use 50% of the (combined) CPU, so everything's still nice and responsive.

Reply #19
Does anyone else have problems with this utility giving random errors when checkin multiple files?

Reply #20
Does anyone else have problems with this utility giving random errors when checkin multiple files?
Nope, my 80 plus GBs of WV files were all reported as OK.

Reply #21

Any chance you're overclocking/overheating, or have a dud memory module?  Do the Wavpack utils work?

Reply #22
Any chance you're overclocking/overheating, or have a dud memory module?  Do the Wavpack utils work?

I thought of it too because the CPU is overclocked a little, but there are no other symptons of it. All problems link to wavpack only for some reason because also Foobar2000 verfy integrity tool gives same random checksum errors with wavpack files. I have about 450 song in wavpack format and they are all encoded with -hx6m switches. They all play fine and with second check all the corrupted files are OK. Foobar2000 doesn't report any checksum errors with mp3s and I have never got any false alarms when checking integrity with .sfv files.

EDIT: Both the SSE2 and non SSE2 versions of CheckWavpackFiles gives me random errors.

EDIT2: I will try without overclockings in couple of days.

Reply #23
It took more than couple of days for me to test without overclockings, but anyway it solved the problem. All Wavpack integrity check tools work now as the should, and gives no errors anymore.

[off topic]
This overclocking hobby is so strange. I can only wonder, why this computer hasn't crashed even at once, while it has been overclocked all these few months. Now I know good test utility to test this CPUs overclockin limits.
[/off topic]

Reply #24
Hi gl.tter,

is Win98 SE supported by CheckWavpack?
Because it's not working on my side. 

I copied the .exe into a folder with wavpacks, and doubleclicked:
Code: [Select]
- CheckWavpackFiles v0.94b -  (c) gl.tter (gl@r-i-l.net) 2006
    updates & goodies: http://wavpack.gl.tter.org
    supports Wavpack files up to v4.x.
__

Invalid path '??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????'

Press any key to exit.

Then I tried the drop-a-folder method without success:
Code: [Select]
- CheckWavpackFiles v0.94b -  (c) gl.tter (gl@r-i-l.net) 2006
    updates & goodies: http://wavpack.gl.tter.org
    supports Wavpack files up to v4.x.
__

Invalid path 'E:\WAVPACK\THECLASH'

Press any key to exit.

Regards,
disintegrated