Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: where to get CUE Sheets and M3U's (Read 8097 times) previous topic - next topic

where to get CUE Sheets and M3U's

Where can I get CUE Sheets and M3U's?

I have ripped FLAC files (single files for each song) I am converting to MP3.  I would like to find online CUE Sheets and M3U's for the albums for these songs.

Reply #3
It’s a clichéd recommendation , but foobar2000 can export playlists in M3U format. As for cue, I know its Converter can output sheets for conversions in which multiple tracks are merged into a single image, although I am not sure whether it can do the same for per-track files. Perhaps ask the experts in its subforum!

I searched on your behalf and found a component for fb2k, although no documentation is immediately evident. CueMaster sounds like it might do what you’re looking for, although it might also be for images only; the blurb isn’t completely clear. Perhaps you could find other possibilities on a search.

Reply #5
I still don't understand why you would use a cue sheet as a playlist for a file-per-track rip.

Reply #6
OK I'm trying to get a handle on this CUE Sheet and M3U thing.

When I ripped my CD collection with EAC to FLAC it created both (CUE and M3U).  I'm still not quite sure why or for what.

So I've been playing those albums/songs via my PC using mostly Foobar2000, but not getting to into F2k too deeply, just playing albums/songs once in a while.

Anyway now I'm want to put my collection to my phone.  It is an Android and I'm using PowerAmp to play my music. When I first started putting music to my phones SD card my Windows 7 PC asked if I wanted to convert the FLAC files, as it was recommended I chose this option.  It turned the files into wmav2.  Not sure why it did this, or if I should have chosen this option, but I did.

All of those albums don't show up in the Artist list or Genres list.  I'm wondering if they would have if I would have just transferred them as the FLAC files.

I have now converted some of the files with Foobar2000 to MP3, as I think this is best for the space I will need, and the ones I've done so far show up in the Artist listing of the PowerAmp app.  There are other listing options Genres that I'd like to have for categorization too.

For all I know maybe I don't need a CUE or M3U for use with PowerAmp app.  But I read somewhere that they are useful.

Just trying to get a handle on this stuff.

Reply #7
OK I'm trying to get a handle on this CUE Sheet and M3U thing.

Short answer:  you probably don't need to use or care about either.

Long answer:  M3U files are used for making custom playlists, while CUE files are usually used for recording specialized CD images or for creating a single audio file that contains many tracks.  The forums have a lot of info about both.

When I first started putting music to my phones SD card my Windows 7 PC asked if I wanted to convert the FLAC files, as it was recommended I chose this option.  It turned the files into wmav2.  Not sure why it did this, or if I should have chosen this option, but I did.

Probably you need to update your MTP driver, either to a newer MS one, or with a third party one.  I suggest looking online for your phone to be sure.

There are other listing options Genres that I'd like to have for categorization too.

Did you tag your files with a genre? 

Reply #8
what would make your player play the separate tracks with the proper spacing between the songs as the album would have them?

Reply #9
what would make your player play the separate tracks with the proper spacing between the songs as the album would have them?
Nothing, if the rip was done correctly. CUE sheets are not necessary for gapless playback at all.
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.

Reply #10
Nothing, if the rip was done correctly. CUE sheets are not necessary for gapless playback at all.

I ripped my CDs to separate tracks with EAC, not as one FLAC file for the entire album, would this still be the case?

Reply #11
Yes. Kohlrabi did not qualify his statement with any limitations, so it applies to all methods of storage. Sure, you’d need a cue-sheet or some other method if you wanted to demarcate tracks for a single-file image, but it would still play gaplessly in any case. And nothing stops capable players from transitioning seamlessly between tracks that are stored as separate files; given a sane format, it’s trivial, and it shouldn’t be affected either way by whether or not you have some textual file saying ‘Oi, these tracks go together.’

You may find it enlightening to simply try these things rather than asking. Do your phone and player support gapless playback, with or without sundry playlists? Test it and see.