Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ktf
post Apr 19 2014, 13:29
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 68263

There are some weird statements in that article

FLAC, the open source audio format developed by Grateful Dead fans to trade bootleg recordings

What the hell?

Meyer said that it simply “doesn’t make sense” to go higher than 96 kHz / 24 bit, which already is an order of magnitude better than standard CD audio. He also lamented that companies are trying to sell upsampled music — songs that were recorded with lower bitrates and resolutions, but are then altered to offer the appearance of a higher-resolution. “Using 24/96 is not the answer unless it is recorded in 24/96

So, if there's no upside to using 192/24, what is the upside to 96/24?

True, it's nice to have yet another article glorifying FLAC, but why can't it be free of gibberish once?

--------------------
Music: sounds arranged such that they construct feelings.
+Quote Post
Apesbrain
post Apr 19 2014, 14:58
Post #3

Member No.: 10915

"Chasing the next big thing" as I think most of us see it has nothing to do with FLAC: it's about the benefit if any of hi-res audio. I know there are some who still argue over AIF/WAV/FLAC but it's a side-show. This fellow says there's no need for anything beyond 24/96; the question is whether that is even necessary. He should revisit his premise.

P.S. On the Dead reference, he's confused FLAC with Shorten.
+Quote Post
db1989
post Apr 19 2014, 15:20
Post #4

Group: Super Moderator
Member No.: 32180

Well, exactly. Advocates who advocate on the basis of incorrect information or false premises might just make things worse.
+Quote Post
includemeout
post Apr 19 2014, 15:30
Post #5

Member No.: 76067

QUOTE (Apesbrain @ Apr 19 2014, 10:58) *
P.S. On the Dead reference, he's confused FLAC with Shorten.

it simply “doesn’t make sense” to go higher than 96 kHz / 24 bit, which already is an order of magnitude better than standard CD audio

I think remarks of this kind clearly show that, even from the height of his audio-engineering platform-shoes's authority, his comments are not that insightful or qualified as one would want to believe them to be, as he's clearly dabbling in lossless waters he's not quite sure about.

--------------------
Listen to the music, not the media.
+Quote Post
db1989
post Apr 19 2014, 15:44
Post #6

Heh, I just noticed that “an order of magnitude better”. Of course, that’s not true by any mathematical contrivance! Another phrase overused purely because it sounds dramatic, I presume.
+Quote Post
includemeout
post Apr 19 2014, 16:19
Post #7

“Using 24/96 is not the answer unless it is recorded in 24/96,” Meyer quipped, adding that people are getting wiser about snake oil claims, thanks largely to internet forums.

Assuming he actually mentioned that nice bit on forums(a) and, more specifically, the snake oil quip - and assuming not many a community out there uses that sort of expression with so much property - I'd go as far as guessing he's probably the proud owner of a HA membership already, lurking amongst us, amateurs and professionals alike. laugh.gif

edit: Appositive

This post has been edited by includemeout: Apr 19 2014, 16:26

--------------------
+Quote Post
db1989
post Apr 19 2014, 16:30
Post #8

I like to think he has a point that sites like ours have helped, but his claim doesn’t apply generally (as it is phrased) to online fora, considering the levels of myth-echoing and FUD that occur elsewhere. :/
+Quote Post
includemeout
post Apr 19 2014, 21:37
Post #9

Uninformed assumptions apart, it is such a shame this is not in the mainstream media, as it is clearly aimed at the latest developments - in a field he knows well, one must say - made by a certain not-so-specialized Mr Neil Young.

If so, I wonder whether the latter would dismiss it as jealousy pure and simple, or see it as a possible hindrance to his voodoo-ish toblerone to take off, in case other heavy weights in the area followed suit (he must acknowledge, to himself at least, he definitely doesn't belong to Mr. Meyer's league) and suddenly started unmasking his miraculous 21st-century elixir as nothing more than it actually is: HD, ignorant, monkey-see-monkey-do celebrity-supported snake oil.

This post has been edited by includemeout: Apr 19 2014, 21:53

--------------------
+Quote Post
andy o
post Apr 20 2014, 00:12
Post #10

Member No.: 68950

For a minute I thought it was John Mayer. Then for another minute I thought it was this Meyer. I wonder where this guy is coming from and why they interviewed him, was it just because he was one prominent engineer that was willing to say what the writer wanted to hear?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd September 2014 - 03:38