Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Hotto Audio Compressor & Limiter settings? (Read 6125 times) previous topic - next topic

Hotto Audio Compressor & Limiter settings?

I'm trying out the Hotto Audio Compressor & Limiter and don't really know what I'm doing. I've used the Yohng W1 limiter in the past, but I need something for use with streaming audio so that's why I'm trying out the Hotto software.
Here's a link to a screen shot:
http://www.hotto.de/software/audiocompressorlimiter.html

Could anyone tell me what settings would yeild the maximum effect, in other words the maximum flattening of the dynamic range?
I'm not even sure it's working properly because I'm not seeing any reading at all on the "Gain Reduction [dB]" meter.

Reply #1
Could anyone tell me what settings would yeild the maximum effect, in other words the maximum flattening of the dynamic range?
Minimum threshold & maximum ratio.

...I doubt you really want to do THAT!!!

I installed it, but the computer I tried it on doesn't support Stereo Mix and I was unable to select any input.

...and don't really know what I'm doing.
If you want to experiment with a compressor, Audacity (FREE!!!) has one, but Audacity is an audio editor so it doesn't work on streaming audio in in real-time.  Audacity also has a Leveler effect, which is a particular kind of compression, and maybe more like what you're looking for.

I think there is an application (or driver) that allows you to use VST effects in real-time but I don't remember what it's called.

Or, you can get a hardware compressor for around $100 USD.

Reply #2
Minimum threshold & maximum ratio.

...I doubt you really want to do THAT!!!

I don't think it's working properly. It's doing something, but minimun threshold & maximum ratio doesn't seem to work, and it's not showing any gain reduction on the meter and that makes me think something is wrong.