Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: ReplayGain storage (Read 16115 times) previous topic - next topic

ReplayGain storage

I am currently building new Musepack plug-ins and I am wondering which is the preferred method of storing ReplayGain information to Musepack files ?

Store to Musepack format ?

or

Store to APE tag ?

ReplayGain storage

Reply #1
According to specification, RG info must be stored in the file header. Every Musepack capable player that I've tried reads and writes RG in this way.
~~

ReplayGain storage

Reply #2
Thanks for pointing the Musepack wiki. I don't know why I did not see it earlier but it is lots of help. I will do both SV7 and SV8 and they both seem to have ReplayGain in the header.

ReplayGain storage

Reply #3
The ReplayGain specification suggests APEv2. Do we need to update/correct this?

ReplayGain storage

Reply #4
Musepack was the first (and only?) format with native ReplyGain support. Storing of ReplayGain info in tags seems to me as a workaround for older formats without native support.

ReplayGain storage

Reply #5
The ReplayGain specification suggests APEv2. Do we need to update/correct this?

It should probably be updated to mention that replaygain tags are used with ASF tags (in the Extended Content Description Object) with the VorbisGain method (basically just a text comment field that says "replaygain_track_gain", ...).

See for example:

http://svn.rockbox.org/viewvc.cgi?diff_for...;revision=15340

ReplayGain storage

Reply #6
Appreciated but that's not very accessible information so can't just be C-P'd into the RG spec. If you can suggest some replacement text for the RG spec, we can get this corrected more quickly.

ReplayGain storage

Reply #7
I added that it uses the Extended Content Description Object  with a ascii value key pair like Vorbis comments.  Might make sense to have Peter comment on it though, since AFAIK he came up with the standard.  We just looked at ASF files tagged with foobar2000 and copied it's convention.

ReplayGain storage

Reply #9
I am currently building new Musepack plug-ins ...

May I ask you what player(s) are they targeted?
As you can see in specification, there might be different RG values for every chapter.
~~