Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Recording Error on Michael Jackson's "Dangerous" CD? (Read 9049 times) previous topic - next topic

Recording Error on Michael Jackson's "Dangerous" CD?

Hi all, finally I can post here.

My first post is a question to you guys, as I never could find answers on that subject on the net.

I noticed some recording errors on Michael Jackson's "Dangerous" CD when listening carefully to it. However I will only give few examples as I can't recall all by now. I have tested this with various headphones (you probably need good ones), however, once heared you will always hear it again.

Track 10: "Give In To Me" (very short "psst" noise)
-at exact pos.: 0:45 - 0:46 (left Audio Channel only)
-at exact pos.: 2:28 - 2:29 (left Audio Channel only)

I dont think my CD is scratched or something because I have ripped the track several times with accuraterip confidence. But still it sucks.

Can I ask the company for a new record? You wouldn't normally expect this quality from MJ.
I might post more examples when I find them again (listening right now)
All tracks accurately ripped

End of status report

Reply #1
I have the same original release of the album, and the same issue in the places you described, both times also only in the left channel, so I dont think it will help you replace it. It seems more like a mastering issue I would assume.

Reply #3
thanks for confirming this you two.
at least I am not the only one.
still a pity

End of status report

Reply #4
Are you sure this is an actual recording/mastering error, and not just the intended addition of someone (like a backup singer/vocal) saying "psst!" in the left channel?

Reply #5
well, I am not 100% sure, but I think it is too silence/sneaky to be intentional. I checked the youtube versions and I think because of their quality you can't hear it there.

However, during some mp3 tests I did, you can hear it again in the HQ mp3s

End of status report

Reply #6
thanks to the AKG headphones I discovered another error on MJ discs...

Album: Bad (Special Edition) [only]
Track: 1. Bad

second 6

again....you need very good headphones to hear it. once heared you will always hear it.

can someone confirm?

geee, you consider archiving in lossless, backing up, copy cd for security purposes, store cd in a safe place but the sound engineers are too dumb for correct mastering

End of status report

Reply #7
You're supposed to dance to it.  Not sit at your control board and nit-pick it apart.

(Very nice control board, though!)

Reply #8
Haha, that's the same thing I discovered when moving from mp3's to flac... Now I no longer listen for mp3 artefacts, but mastering errors. I found a nasty one in Bryan Adams original Reckless... I don't remember the exact position. I think it sounds like a tape that has been recovered by putting two pieces together again.

Luckily the MSFL release fixed it.
Can't wait for a HD-AAC encoder :P

Reply #9
Bumping this topic, after ripping my Michael Jackson Remasters to .m4a for my iPod, auditioning the tracks I noticed the glitch right away on Bad @ 0:06 with my budget Sennheiser HD-201s, taking a listen I also noticed the left speaker glitch on Give in To Me. The glitch on Bad is not present on The Essential Michael Jackson, but Give in To Me isn't on the disc to check that one.

What is it with Columbia based records?

I also noticed my Mariah Carey Greatest Hits CD1 also has metallic background noise (dithering problem?) on tracks 1 and 2.

If I remember correctly there is actually a message in the booklets stating that they are free of defects and to call a certain number if you believe otherwise. I guess quality control was sleeping during the mastering of those releases.

Reply #10
If I remember correctly there is actually a message in the booklets stating that they are free of defects and to call a certain number if you believe otherwise. I guess quality control was sleeping during the mastering of those releases.
If we posted about every single badly mastered CD, this thread would probably break the maximum number of posts allowed for a thread.
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.

Reply #11
If we posted about every single badly mastered CD, this thread would probably break the maximum number of posts allowed for a thread.

Good point.

One last thing (for those who find this thread in the future), I noticed is that the glitch on Give in to Me is actually on both the remastered and original copies. Weird.