Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Sony MDR-V300 vs AIWA HP-X222 headphones (Read 6682 times) previous topic - next topic

Sony MDR-V300 vs AIWA HP-X222 headphones

Sonys; http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=111773...&cat=70&scat=72

AIWAs; http://www.us.aiwa.com/default.asp?page=pr...on=productSpecs

Which would be better?

I like the AIWAs because they've always had good sound, and unlike sony doesn't usually overpromote/overcharge on bad products, yet I liked the Sonys since they had the same 'build' as good headphones(compare $50 headphones to $8 headphones, you can tell just by looking that one's in a completely different league, not in the lightweight crap category), and had good specs, and most of all weren't "car tire" size.

There are no stores here to try headphones out before you buy, or any type of audio store, and I chose these two headphones after seeing them in retail stores and online, since I needed something $50 or less, and these looked good.

Thanks

I would prefer the $200 Sennheisers, but I'd also prefer headphones cheaper than the CD player I want to get 

Reply #1
Sennheiser also produces lower priced but still high quality headphones. Do a quick sweep on their website, check on www.audioreview.com and you're set. There's no way SONY or AIWA would be better (around the same price) than Sennheiser. I actually prefer Sennheiser earbuds compared to the SONY MDR-CD480. Don't judge products just taking into account the specs... a product may look good on paper but sound like crap: check entire SONY entry (LO)-FI line... yucks!

Reply #2
Ok, I'll check out the sennheisers. Yet which one of those is better? I want to rule out one of them...

Edit; audioreview.com's 2nd cheapest headphones were over $90. I'm not rich...

Reply #3
I have a pair of Sennheiser 280 Pro's which I got for $60 US off the internet. I like them because they are comfortable and they block out a lot of background noise. They also sound miles better than the various headphones I had been using before than come with portable CD players.

Of course, here in Japan they cost about $200, so I could only demo them in a store, not purchaes them...
(in case you're wondering, I'm a U.S. citizen but am currently living in Japan)

Destron

Reply #4
Yeah on the topic of Aiwa products...

I had a pair of those aiwa headphones a while back; they were ridiculously inexpensive (on sale) so i figured they'd be worth the investment.  They sounded pretty darn good, imo (listening to --alt-preset standard Mp3's on my IMP-250).

I don't like to spread unjustifiable claims, but every Aiwa product i've ever purchased has broken within a year or two of use.  I had an Aiwa portable cd player a few years ago; soon, the lens lost it's ability to seek through the entire cd, so I could only listen to about half of a CD before it stoped working.  I also owned an Aiwa 3-CD stereo, a real basic set; it stopped reading CDs altogether about two years after I received it.  And, out of the blue, these very headphones in question stopped working less than a year after I got them.  Imo, those three instances lend some credibility to the claim that all Aiwa products will break for no good reason (I keep my electronics in very, very good condition, so I probably wasn't neglect on my part).

Anyways, I'd totally second the suggestion to look into Sennheisers.  I have their mx400 earbuds, and I enjoy them a lot (for portable use--I'd totally recommend them).  Good luck finding some headphones you like 
[span style=\'font-family:Arial\']and god, she created civilization (mlc)[/span]

Reply #5
1) The portable I want to get comes with Sennheiser 300mx earbuds, are these that different from the 400? The iRiver portables I want to get come with the 300mx ones. If they're good I'm sure I could put them to use instead of just throwin' 'em into a box or somethin...

2) Aiwas now ruled out, since my friend had the SAME DAMN PROBLEM! I knew it wasn't him! Of course I really wouldn't want to have to go with a sony product ever again. Years ago they were good, now I don't really trust them anymore.

3) Sennheisers I will look into. Yet I hope the price will go down, since I don't want to spend this much on them...

Reply #6
The portable I want to get comes with Sennheiser 300mx earbuds, are these that different from the 400? The iRiver portables I want to get come with the 300mx ones. If they're good I'm sure I could put them to use instead of just throwin' 'em into a box or somethin...

Actually, I made a mistake...I have the MX300, not the MX400 (I got them with my IFP-180T).  I think they sound fantastic, but you should keep in mind that (one) i'm using them for portable use, and (two) I use the Rock EQ preset on the player.  At my computer, I use fubar2k, but for portable use, the extra bass is necessary, imo.  I'm not sure exactly how much better the MX400s are, but as far as I'm concerned, buying them for portable playback of a lossy format would probably be overkill.  Nothing beats free headbuds, especially if they don't suck    So yeah, definitely give them a shot.  I'd recommend them, and I think I have relatively good appreciation for audio quality.

And about Iriver players -- they're awesome.  I hope you enjoy yours if/when you get it.
[span style=\'font-family:Arial\']and god, she created civilization (mlc)[/span]

Reply #7
Where can you pick up some Sennheisers online?

Does any site ship to Europe (Ireland)?

Reply #9
Sennheisers online? Anywhere. try the audioreview.com site.

I am waiting for the iRiver iMP 500/550, and if they are a cent above $200, I'm going straight to the 400(which would be cheaper by then  ).

I'm thinking of going with the Sony MDR 300s, since they've been recommended by some for good sound quality, no one here sees anything wrong with them, they're cheap($50), available in a retail store, and I like the fact that they're not car tire size    On a portable, these look a lot better than the car tire models, and at home, all I have for sound is a laptop with clicks and hissing(listening to piano music on that, disturbs me), so nothing special there.

For sennheiser, I'm thinking about these ones, they look good.

Yet, Sony MDR 300s or Sennheiser whatever(haven't decided on which model to get yet),  have to be an improvement over these ones I have now, so I'll be happy.

Thanks for the recommendations all.

And damn this little island for not having an audio-type store so I could just try these things out 

I keep pointing to besy buy's site, since I already know my way around it.

Reply #11
Please tell us something about AKG and KOSS <$60-$70
Ogg Vorbis for music and speech [q-2.0 - q6.0]
FLAC for recordings to be edited
Speex for speech

Reply #12
After reading tons of reviews, seeing lotsa pics, I decided on the Sennheiser HD-497. They were the best I could get in the portable range, and have great quality by what I've seen, so the sonys and aiwas are out. Money doesn't matter if the product will actually be good and from a trusted company...

Thanks for the recommendations everyone  B)

/me starts saving   

Reply #13
Sennheiser HD-497

My personal expereice with these was... painful.

They did sound good, but were horribly uncomfortable for a long time. It must have been because I'm wearing glasses, though.

For use with a portable, you should also look at Sennheiser PX100/PX200.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-EqI8SfM9K6O/c....asp?i=143PX200

They are smaller than 497s, can be folded, and IMO you're going to look much cooler wearing them 8)

I don't know how they compare to 49x series in terms of sound quality, but from what I've heard they are good enough.

Reply #14
Anyone else have that problem with them? Damn it's practically impossible to choose good headphones, why the hell can't there be an actual store selling them?     

Well, I don't have glasses, so I'm hoping that'll fix it