Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Quantization (Read 5323 times) previous topic - next topic

Quantization

How to calculate the number of bits required to ensure that the quantization error for the tone is within the minimum masking threshold if i know power of the tone and masking threshold?

Quantization

Reply #1
Hi,

Seems simple.

I would use: ceil(log2(tone_power/masking_threshold))

Quantization

Reply #2
Hi,

Seems simple.

masking_threshold should be the minimum masking threshold in that segment?

Quantization

Reply #3
Hi,

Seems simple.

Yes.  This might depend on the codec, but in general if you don't take the minimum value, the quantization noise might get perceptible.

Quantization

Reply #4
Hi,

Seems simple.

Yes.  This might depend on the codec, but in general if you don't take the minimum value, the quantization noise might get perceptible.

Maybe you can give me some references where I can read more about it?

Quantization

Reply #5
Maybe you can give me some references where I can read more about it?

My apologies, I can't..  because I won't be home until some time 

Edit: Since your question was pretty essential, you can probably get away with any good book on psychoacoustics (but I don't know which ones by heart).

Quantization

Reply #6
The measure we are talking about here is called "perceptual entropy",  and the basic paper where it was described is:

J. D. Johnston, "Estimation of perceptual entropy using noise-masking criteria," in Proc. ICASSP, 1988, pp. 2524--2527.

Basically, for plurality of frequency lines, amount of the bits required to code the bitstream can't be lower than:

PE = SUM (0<i<-numlines) log2(Energy / MaskThr)

(where MaskThr is the masking threshold calculated by the psymodel)

PE is a theoretical minimum - and it can't be achieved in true codec (you need some side bits to represent the coding information, etc...)

So, for a real coding system, bits required to code a plurality of signals is most likely to be around:

BITS = p * PE + q

where  p and q are codec dependent parameters..  For example, for MPEG-4 AAC:

BITS = 0.6 * PE + 24 * sqrt (PE)

This is not exact measure, of course - since huffman codebooks are not perfect, and signal statistic might vary from frame to frame, etc..

Quantization

Reply #7
The measure we are talking about here is called "perceptual entropy",  and the basic paper where it was described is:

J. D. Johnston, "Estimation of perceptual entropy using noise-masking criteria," in Proc. ICASSP, 1988, pp. 2524--2527.

Basically, for plurality of frequency lines, amount of the bits required to code the bitstream can't be lower than:

PE = SUM (0<i<-numlines) log2(Energy / MaskThr)

(where MaskThr is the masking threshold calculated by the psymodel)

PE is a theoretical minimum - and it can't be achieved in true codec (you need some side bits to represent the coding information, etc...)

So, for a real coding system, bits required to code a plurality of signals is most likely to be around:

BITS = p * PE + q

where  p and q are codec dependent parameters..  For example, for MPEG-4 AAC:

BITS = 0.6 * PE + 24 * sqrt (PE)

This is not exact measure, of course - since huffman codebooks are not perfect, and signal statistic might vary from frame to frame, etc..

So if i have one tone (TF) and i know minimum masking threshold (MinT) i need

log2(TF / MinT)  bits to quantize this tone?

Quantization

Reply #8
log2(TF / MinT) bits to quantize this tone?

Yep.. actually, this should be the "theoretical minimum" - like with normal entropy.

You also have to add side data necessary to represent the compressed spectrum, like huffman table indexes or tables themselves - also, each huffman codebook has its own performance on different signal statistics, etc.. 

So, for a particular coding system (like MP3) the formula is little bit more complicated.