Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: qtaacenc: a command-line QuickTime AAC encoder for Windows (Read 398533 times) previous topic - next topic

qtaacenc: a command-line QuickTime AAC encoder for Windows

Reply #350
Nice.  Works here.
Thank you.

Is it possible to do fully portable package (without downloading QuickTimeInstaller.exe or iTunesSetup.exe ) or it will violate some licence? Or some workaround in such situation?

Reply #351
Thx for this progam, just used the portable version for the first time.
The channel mapping for 5.1 seems to be wrong, though:
original - qtaac
FL - C
FR - FL
C - FR
BL - BR
BR - LFE
LFE - BL

Reply #352
Is it possible to do fully portable package (without downloading QuickTimeInstaller.exe or iTunesSetup.exe ) or it will violate some licence? Or some workaround in such situation?

It is technically possible, but I don't know is it legal or not.

Reply #353
fyi, iTunes 10.5 is apparently out. The 64-bit Windows release notes have an interesting note:

Note: iTunes 10.5 no longer requires or includes QuickTime.

Chris
If I don't reply to your reply, it means I agree with you.

Reply #354
No Quictime? Interesting. Updated AAC encoder? TVBR? Guess I'll have to do some testing on the new iTunes.

Reply #355
I don't see any encoder updates to the iTunes AAC encoder settings under Mac OS X so no true VBR.  Also, based on the release notes, I don't think they changed the AAC encoder.  The only updates they seemed to apply (aside from what has already been mentioned which does not really affect Mac OS X users) revolved around the integration of iCloud in that iTunes can wirelessly sync devices running the latest version of iOS and it can also automatically download previously purchased apps, TV shows, eBooks, and music content (songs, iTunes LP files, and music videos) that are not located in your iTunes library.  The last version of iTunes could not automatically do this, you had to download each and every file manually while it can do that automatically now.  It didn't bring iTunes Match yet but that isn't supposed to come until the end of the month.

Reply #356
-blub sorry, my mistake-

Reply #357
So iTunes now uses CoreAudioToolbox/CoreFoundation/etc directly. Interesting.

Reply #358
Could we have HE-AAC+v2 encoding with qtaacenc.exe? Would be nice to have all kinds of encoding options in one tool.

Reply #359
Slightly off topic, but if iTunes no longer requires Quicktime and doesnt come with it, is it not possible to use WASAPI for iTunes anymore?

Reply #360
I'd like to ask a casual question: What settings should I use for listening on mobile devices (iPod)?

Right now, all I do is this:
Code: [Select]
qtaacenc.exe --highest input.wav

I leave the rest on defaults. Is that advisable? I'd like transparent results, so I reckon a higher quality setting would be in order, correct?

In case someone has experience with that, please respond.

Reply #361
Well, if you don't specify an encoding mode and parameters, it encodes at True VBR 65.

That gives bitrates roughly in the same range as LAME's V5 switch, so basically ~128 kb/s nominal target rate, with variations quite a bit above or below that depending on the music.

Apple's AAC encoder has proven to be very good in the last couple lower-bitrate (64 kb/s and 96 kb/s) listening tests, so it's reasonable to assume it's quite good at TVBR 65, but as to whether or not it's transparent to you...as usual, only doing your own ABX tests can answer that.

FYI, there's a bug in the QuickTime AAC encoder (at least as of v7.7.0) that can potentially introduce artifacts - in all encoding modes - if the quality switch is above "--normal" - see here for an example of a track that causes it.
"Not sure what the question is, but the answer is probably no."

Reply #362
Well, that's why I was asking. I did encode with default values (except --highest), and once again with --tvbr 96. I believe I heard artifacts, but I didn't know if it was just something I was imagining, or if it was artifacts at higher VBR settings. I was thinking I was using wrong parameters, but it seems I've ran into the bug.

I'll keep an eye on this. I've encoded a number of files with --tvbr 96 and have already tagged them. Seems I need to do this all over again, once I recreate them (I still have the FLACs that I used as source).

Anyway, thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Reply #363
I believe I heard artifacts, but I didn't know if it was just something I was imagining, or if it was artifacts at higher VBR settings.

ABX!  That's exactly what it's for.

Before you can say whether or not you're hearing artifacts due to an encoder bug, you need to at least establish whether or not you're even hearing artifacts.
"Not sure what the question is, but the answer is probably no."

Reply #364
Any version of CoreAudioToolbox.dll after 7.6.3.0 applies and incorrect channel map on multichannel files:

http://sites.google.com/site/qaacpage/news/aboutquicktime77

You have two options - get an older version of CoreAudioToolbox.dll that was mentioned earlier in this thread, or use qaac.exe instead of qtaacenc.exe because it automatically remaps the channels for the newer versions of quicktime.

I have v7.7.0 and it seems to produce correct channelmapping, I just tried encoding a surround test clip and the result sounded fine on headphones (used eac3to to decode the 5.1 AC3 file and piped to qtaacenc to encode to 5.1 AAC). If I use the channel remapping in eac3to that was mentioned earlier in this thread, the mapping is incorrect in the result.

Reply #365
Any version of CoreAudioToolbox.dll after 7.6.3.0 applies and incorrect channel map on multichannel files:

http://sites.google.com/site/qaacpage/news/aboutquicktime77

You have two options - get an older version of CoreAudioToolbox.dll that was mentioned earlier in this thread, or use qaac.exe instead of qtaacenc.exe because it automatically remaps the channels for the newer versions of quicktime.

I have v7.7.0 and it seems to produce correct channelmapping, I just tried encoding a surround test clip and the result sounded fine on headphones (used eac3to to decode the 5.1 AC3 file and piped to qtaacenc to encode to 5.1 AAC). If I use the channel remapping in eac3to that was mentioned earlier in this thread, the mapping is incorrect in the result.

Heck, it seems that encoding a 5.1ch DTS-HD MA file produces incorrect mapping...need to investigate more 

Reply #366
7.7.1's CoreAudioToolbox (version 7.9.7.8) is still broken.

Reply #367
I have this problem, no one can help me?

This is the result in foobar2000:

1 out of 1 tracks converted with major problems.

Source: "F:\Audio - Video\Foobar\Ghost.wav"
  An error occurred while writing to file (The encoder has terminated prematurely with code 0 (0x00000000); please re-check parameters) : "F:\Audio - Video\Foobar\Ghost.m4a"
Additional information:
Encoder stream format: 44100Hz / 2ch / 16bps
Command line: "D:\Program Files (x86)\qtaacenc-20100307\qtaacenc.exe" --tvbr 100 --highest - "Ghost.m4a"
Working folder: F:\Audio - Video\Foobar\

Conversion failed: The encoder has terminated prematurely with code 0 (0x00000000); please re-check parameters

Edit: now work
I've just setup Foobar with qtaacenc and the latest version of Qucktime (7.7.1) and I'm getting the same error. I've dealt with this once before, but for the life of me I can't remember what I ended up doing to fix it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Reply #368
I got the same problem using Quicktime 7.7.1.

QuickTime 7.6.9 works without a problem.

Reply #370
please update to the latest version (qtaacenc-20110816)...

http://tmkk.pv.land.to/qtaacenc/
_

Weird, I downloaded that yesterday and it wasn't working. Downloaded again this morning and it's now working. Did the file change?

Regardless, thank you for the spurring to dl again!

Reply #371
@nao: do you have a similar OS X version of this utility? Or should one use badly documented afconvert? If so, do you happen to have any decent docs about afconvert? (especially considering HE-AAC v1 and v2 and multichannel with pipe as input)
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Reply #372
afconvert doesn't accept pipe input, but besides that it should have all encoding features that qtaacenc has.

It will be easy to provide the same tool for OSX, because a large part of the feature is already implemented in my another project for OSX (XLD). But should I do that?

Reply #373
nao, would you be OK with integrating the necessary code by lvql into the official build to enabel portability please?
WavPack 5.6.0 -b384hx6cmv / qaac64 2.80 -V 100

Reply #374
would one of the features be the piping input?
But should I do that?

If there is enough demand, certainly do not bother if my request is the only one
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung