IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Hydrogenaudio Forum Rules

- No Warez. This includes warez links, cracks and/or requests for help in getting illegal software or copyrighted music tracks!

- No Spamming or Trolling on the boards, this includes useless posts, trying to only increase post count or trying to deliberately create a flame war.

- No Hateful or Disrespectful posts. This includes: bashing, name-calling or insults directed at a board member.

- Click here for complete Hydrogenaudio Terms of Service

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Closed TopicStart new topic
What is your instance regarding Musepack SV8 switches?
lucpes
post Jun 4 2002, 22:19
Post #51

Group: Members
Member No.: 254

And here's my new command line:

mppenc --quality 7.33 --maxbitrate 320 --minbitrate 128 --stereoquality 10 --bandwithquality 10 --temporalquality 10

So there's nothing new under the sun... I already know that I wouldn't be able to abx it against --quality 5 but it will sound better for transcoding... I just know it smile.gif --kidding

perhaps it would be better to stick just to --quality?
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Uosdwis R. Dewoh
post Jun 4 2002, 22:22
Post #52

Member No.: 70

Indeed - great job! Looking forward to putting it to use! Puts that other thread in a new perspective, too.

/ Uosdwis
+Quote Post
NickSD
post Jun 4 2002, 23:09
Post #53

Member No.: 702

I think this poll should be closed... Since we have the q-scale now, everyone seems to be happy. smile.gif
+Quote Post
Dibrom
post Jun 4 2002, 23:17
Post #54

Founder

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Originally posted by NickSD
I think this poll should be closed... Since we have the q-scale now, everyone seems to be happy. smile.gif

Agreed. Poll closed.
+Quote Post
andy2kxp
post Jun 5 2002, 00:38
Post #55

Member No.: 1043

I say make 1 encoder for that has the quality scale and another encoder with the tweakable switches for people who enjoy tweaking or want to debug the current quality scale.

--------------------
-Andy
+Quote Post
Dibrom
post Jun 5 2002, 00:46
Post #56

Founder

Originally posted by lucpes
And here's my new command line:

mppenc --quality 7.33  --maxbitrate 320 --minbitrate 128  --stereoquality  10  --bandwithquality 10 --temporalquality 10

So there's nothing new under the sun... I already know that I wouldn't be able to abx it against --quality 5 but it will sound better for transcoding... I just know it smile.gif --kidding

Umm..

Why would you possibly want to limit the upper bitrate with MPC? One of MPC's greatest strengths is that it can go well over 320kbps for short periods if it needs to. It does this quite regularly on some of my music as well.

There should be no need to limit the upper bitrate unless you are planning to stream the files. Given your other switches, it really doesn't make sense either.

[b]
perhaps it would be better to stick just to --quality?

Probably.
+Quote Post
ssamadhi97
post Jun 5 2002, 00:57
Post #57

Group: Developer (Donating)
Member No.: 1305

Originally posted by lucpes
mppenc --quality 7.33  --maxbitrate 320 --minbitrate 128  --stereoquality  10  --bandwithquality 10 --temporalquality 10

heh, even more - if i understand the new switches correctly, the --stereoquality, --bandwidthquality and --temporalquality are all tradeoff switches - thus you'd push the encoder into one single direction with the above commandline (for example: sacrificing audio quality for stereo imaging quality)

--------------------
A riddle is a short sword attached to the next 2000 years.
+Quote Post
vladimirovich
post Jun 5 2002, 08:01
Post #58

Member No.: 899

Well, I still thinks that q scale is bad idea. There are two reasons:

1) The units of quality scale are unknown.

2) It's limited above by 10, and I still don't understood why. In old encoder version all settings were in db, and the limitation by, for example, 100 db could be explained that -100 db is almost unheareble by any ear. But how could I garantee, that 10 is enough, if I don't know the units?

To my mind all psyhoacoustic tunings should be given in some basic units, like ms, or db, and they should be fully explained.
+Quote Post
Garf
post Jun 5 2002, 10:23
Post #59

Server Admin

Member No.: 13

Originally posted by ssamadhi97

heh, even more - if i understand the new switches correctly, the --stereoquality, --bandwidthquality and --temporalquality are all tradeoff switches - thus you'd push the encoder into one single direction with the above commandline (for example: sacrificing audio quality for stereo imaging quality)

The problem of this naming of switches is that it gives the impression of giving more/higher 'quality' (though it is explained in the comments that they are tradeoffs).

What about

--stereovsquality
--bandwidthvsnoise
--temporalvstmn

Less chance of someone blindly changing them without stopping to think of the consequences.

To my mind all psyhoacoustic tunings should be given in some basic units, like ms, or db, and they should be fully explained.

You are assuming that it is at all possible to give the tuning parameters in simple to understand or explain units. That's won't be the case.

--
GCP
+Quote Post
Dibrom
post Jun 5 2002, 11:27
Post #60

Founder

Originally posted by Garf

The problem of this naming of switches is that it gives the impression of giving more/higher 'quality' (though it is explained in the comments that they are tradeoffs).

What about

--stereovsquality
--bandwidthvsnoise
--temporalvstmn

Less chance of someone blindly changing them without stopping to think of the consequences.

I like this idea myself. Anything with the words "quality" on it will send people straight to tweaking whether they understand what they are doing and recognize the possible consequences or not.
+Quote Post
smg
post Jun 5 2002, 13:08
Post #61

Member No.: 2006

Originally posted by Dibrom

I like this idea myself.  Anything with the words "quality" on it will send people straight to tweaking whether they understand what they are doing and recognize the possible consequences or not.

I won't respond to that comment
+Quote Post
Dibrom
post Jun 5 2002, 13:51
Post #62

Founder

Originally posted by smg

I won't respond to that comment

You just did.
+Quote Post
David Nordin
post Jun 5 2002, 14:32
Post #63

Member No.: 3810

Originally posted by Garf

What about

--stereovsquality
--bandwidthvsnoise
--temporalvstmn

You are assuming that it is at all possible to give the tuning parameters in simple to understand or explain units. That's won't be the case.

-- 
GCP

I support this, makes sense and explains at the same time.

--------------------
http://davidnordin.wordpress.com/
+Quote Post
Volcano
post Jun 5 2002, 15:12
Post #64

Group: Members (Donating)
Member No.: 112

Originally posted by andy2kxp
I say make 1 encoder for that has the quality scale and another encoder with the tweakable switches for people who enjoy tweaking or want to debug the current quality scale.

I second that. An encoder that has only the --quality scale (and maybe a few "utility" switches, like delete input file etc.) would be absolutely idiot-proof. You'd just have to promote it heavily to keep the clever-cloggs types away from the advanced encoder.

@ Frank: Do those --quality values have corresponding nominal bitrates, as in Vorbis?

CU

Dominic
+Quote Post
GeSomeone
post Jun 5 2002, 16:35
Post #65

Member No.: 335

Originally posted by Volcano
I second that. An encoder that has [b]only the --quality scale (and maybe a few "utility" switches, like delete input file etc.) would be absolutely idiot-proof.

Maintaining two version would be contraproductive and cause confusion among the users. Almost everybody would want the "expert" version anyway smile.gif
--
Ge Someone

edit: contra

--------------------
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
+Quote Post
Volcano
post Jun 5 2002, 16:47
Post #66

Group: Members (Donating)
Member No.: 112

Maintaining two version would be contraproductive

Why? They'd be built from the same source (the only difference being the front end, which I guess is stored in one separate file anyway), and my idea is that the advanced encoder gets updated as usual, whereas the "easy" encoder is only updated if a beta or final version comes out. That shouldn't be too big a problem, shouldn't it?

Ach, forget it, someone will come up with a much better idea anyway wink.gif
+Quote Post
R.A.F.
post Sep 12 2003, 20:26
Post #67

Member No.: 2924

Please, no, oh, no. No switches at all. I speak from experience. Because once I feeled like being a good codec-tweaker ...and some here still do. - But now Iīm clean.
Edit:
Ohhh.... I just noticed that the last thread before mine was nearly before WWII. I was just wondering, why this "SV8"-thing became so actual again, as i thought it would be already dead & buried.

This post has been edited by R.A.F.: Sep 12 2003, 20:31

--------------------
My used codecs and settings:
FLAC V1.1.2 -4 / APE V3.99 Update 4 -high / MPC V1.15v --q 5 / LAME V3.97b2 -V2 --vbr-new / OGG aoTuV V4.51 Lancer -q5
+Quote Post
rjamorim
post Sep 12 2003, 21:59
Post #68

Rarewares admin

Member No.: 81

I wonder how did you find this thread to start with laugh.gif

--------------------
Get up-to-date binaries of Lame, AAC, Vorbis and much more at RareWares:
http://www.rarewares.org
+Quote Post
R.A.F.
post Sep 12 2003, 22:36
Post #69

Member No.: 2924

And imagine! I even didnīt vote for this poll out of WWII !! Okay, maybe it was simply because I was not yet born these days. rolleyes.gif No, seriously: I wanted to start a poll (which isnīt possible here for normalos like me; but I didnīt know) and so I discovered this one.....
BTW: You still can vote for my poll, itīs under "Off topic". There itīs allowed. Concerning upstream-speed of your internet-line. - Really interesting topic, I think. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by R.A.F.: Sep 12 2003, 22:36

--------------------
My used codecs and settings:
FLAC V1.1.2 -4 / APE V3.99 Update 4 -high / MPC V1.15v --q 5 / LAME V3.97b2 -V2 --vbr-new / OGG aoTuV V4.51 Lancer -q5
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Closed TopicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th December 2014 - 21:12