IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
R.I.P., The thread for dead CD-Rs
What brand of CD-R's have burnt fine but died after time without any physical damage (scratches etc.) or extreme exposure to sunlight, heat etc. ?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 982
Guests cannot vote 
MedO
post Aug 9 2006, 13:26
Post #126

Group: Members
Member No.: 24095

I recommend not to buy "Gut&GŁnstig"-CDRs. Gut&GŁnstig is a cheap brand in some german supermarkets like Edeka. I just bought a pack, kprobe reported the manufacturer as "Moser Baer India limited". I burned two of them on two different drives, and read them back. Both showed C2 errors. When I tried reading one CD in the other drive, it had trouble reading the CD at all. C1 error count was around 8.5 average (Ritek gives an average of ~1.0).

To the TY discussion: I have two old Tayo Yuden CDRs, (both around 10 years old), and both have lower C1 error count than most of the Riteks I burned last week.

Edit: I found out it probably wasn't a problem with the media but with the second drive that gave trouble when reading these CDs. The error counts stand though.

This post has been edited by MedO: Oct 14 2006, 14:41
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Andrea
post Aug 9 2006, 14:57
Post #127

Member No.: 12524

IPC, is a brand made in Argentina. No wonder tongue.gif

--------------------
:: http://www.peorth.com.ar ::
Anime Wallpapers

I bought a Rio Karma: I can carry around my OGG files!
+Quote Post
Be Positive
post Oct 14 2006, 11:48
Post #128

Member No.: 36148

I recommend not to buy SKY Recordable Discs.. I used to use them for digital audio storage about 2 years ago. I couldn't read them any more even a few weeks after burning. I can't find out who's the manufactor for them, because my drives don't notice a disc in drive.

It's Sky DVD+r (blank Disc with blue script and blue inner circle) and CD-R.
+Quote Post
Artie
post Nov 27 2006, 03:30
Post #129

Member No.: 18229

Unfortunately, I clicked on "Other" before I downloaded the Nero Cd tool, and realized that my "Dysan's" were actually Ritek's. Fortunately, I only bought one 10-pack, of which maybe 2 still work.

On a related note, I've had real bad luck with Office Depot branded CD's. They show up under Nero as "unknown". After a fairly short time, (maybe a year), the entire data coating will flake off. You can hold the data medium in one hand and a clear plastic disc in the other. Amazing.
+Quote Post
outscape
post Nov 27 2006, 04:33
Post #130

Member No.: 30

haha i've always knew office place and staples had shit quality media, at least recently. so shit that even the manufacturer wants to remain anonymous.

--------------------
Be healthy, be kind, grow rich and prosper
+Quote Post
dreamliner77
post Nov 27 2006, 05:29
Post #131

Member No.: 2427

QUOTE (Artie @ Nov 26 2006, 21:30) *
On a related note, I've had real bad luck with Office Depot branded CD's. They show up under Nero as "unknown". After a fairly short time, (maybe a year), the entire data coating will flake off. You can hold the data medium in one hand and a clear plastic disc in the other. Amazing.

I've used Office Max branded Moser Baer DVD+R that consistantly give quality scores of 98 in CDSpeed. Also, i picked up some Office Depot (Ritek D01) DVD+R Dual Layer that is giving QS scores of 95. I've also got decent quality CDR's for Office Max and Staples. Store branded media is not always bad, you just have to know what to look for.

--------------------
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight." Neil Peart 'Resist'
+Quote Post
cautiousman
post Jan 1 2008, 21:42
Post #132

Member No.: 50040

Sony and Memorex CD-Rs have been nothing but trouble for me. Always get errors and skips with those. Never had a problem with TDKs.
+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th September 2014 - 21:17