Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Mediafire links not allowed (Read 6567 times) previous topic - next topic

Mediafire links not allowed

I tried to post a link to something I uploaded on Mediafire.com and got an error/message that it's not allowed.

It's one of the best free upload sites, IMO. Wouldn't it make sense to offload some bandwidth from HA to other sites?

Reply #1
We don't really have a bandwidth problem at this point. I don't know the original reason for the ban, but it was probably to stop people from posting illegal stuff and linking it here, and also to encourage uploading here instead of going through add-ridden sites with upload delays and intentional throttling, etc.

Using our bandwidth to spread good audio software that people want is not a loss.

Reply #2
I see. The problem is that the HA space is rather limited. Both for the single file (8MB) and overall space (50MB). Even just lifting the 8MB limit would help, I've hit that limit more than once (without breaking the rules).

But my vote is also for lifting the Mediafire ban, since I don't think people posting illegal content is a serious problem here. Even if someone posted such a link (until it was removed), HA shouldn't be held legally responsible. Besides, there are many other file upload sites and also ways to circumvent/hide the main link, so this whole thing seems unnecessary on a website like this.

Reply #3
I'd also be curious to know the reason for the ban. Mediafire does not use countdown timers or other "inconveniencing" measures to promote their paid accounts, so it's a very useful file hosting source.

Reply #4
Removed the mediafire block, increased user quota to 100M and upload limit to 20M.

Reply #5
Nice. 

Reply #6
Thanks Garf!
lossyWAV -q X -a 4 -s h -A --feedback 2 --limit 15848 --scale 0.5 | FLAC -5 -e -p -b 512 -P=4096 -S- (having set foobar to output 24-bit PCM; scaling by 0.5 gives the ANS headroom to work)