Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: SL-J1 Problem (Read 4210 times) previous topic - next topic

SL-J1 Problem

When I press play, the tonearm lowers onto the record as it should; but then the tonearm is dragged rapidly towards the end of the record.

I've made a video of it in action....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58O1KE_3l88

This is my first turntable, go easy on me, guys! ;]

SL-J1 Problem

Reply #1
Is the tracking force correct? Is there a setting for anti-skate? My guess is the stylus was a diamond mounted to an aluminum stud which is then press fitted into the stylus cantilever and the diamond is broken off. Take some VERY close up pix of the stylus. I bet its it's flat bottomed because of the damage.

SL-J1 Problem

Reply #2
Is the tracking force correct? Is there a setting for anti-skate? My guess is the stylus was a diamond mounted to an aluminum stud which is then press fitted into the stylus cantilever and the diamond is broken off. Take some VERY close up pix of the stylus. I bet its it's flat bottomed because of the damage.

This is a linear tracking turntable, so in theory there should be no need for anti-skate.

The video shows that the arms moves across the record surface at a constant speed, taking about 5 seconds to traverse the LP. My guess is that the arm on this turntable is moved by a little stepper motor, and whatever the monitoring device is that actuates the stepper is faulty, causing the stepper motor to be on continuously.

SL-J1 Problem

Reply #3
Well i believe cliveb is correct; but after messing with it for a while, I found that putting the "Size" switch to "manual" allowed me to use the turntable normally. Now it functions great!!

Thanks for your help, people! I finally get to listen to my vinyl!!

SL-J1 Problem

Reply #4
Well i believe cliveb is correct; but after messing with it for a while, I found that putting the "Size" switch to "manual" allowed me to use the turntable normally. Now it functions great!!

OK, I understand now. With the size setting on auto, the turntable presumably has a method of detecting the edge of the record - probably some sort of photodetector and a LED. This appears not to work, so it fails to find the edge of the record, and therefore just carries on right to the centre, where it gives up.