Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: wvgain.exe: is there a possibility of a lossy normalization mode also? (Read 5744 times) previous topic - next topic

wvgain.exe: is there a possibility of a lossy normalization mode also?

Maybe it's a bit bold to come back to this topic again, and to make a request..   
However, since WavPack has a lossy mode in addition to the normal lossless mode, would such a lossy mode not be a good option for WvGain, too? To let the user decide whether he/she wants a truely lossless increase of the sound volume or accepts a slight degradation of the audio data?

The background of my question is that some of my audio CDs (in particular classical music) have very weak sound volumes. The most CD rippers offer a "normalization" but not in album mode. And that's the problem, because you do not want the titles belonging to a classical work to be equal in volume. Only album mode makes sense with such music.

Presently, I must rip this music to wav files, then use wavegain in album mode to increase the volume and then convert the files with WavPack. I think that's a very inconvenient procedure.

Reply #1
Maybe it's a bit bold to come back to this topic again, and to make a request.. 
Since that topic was about something quite different, and you appear to have had doubts, why not just err on the side of caution and create a new thread? Split.

Reply #2
Presently, I must rip this music to wav files, then use wavegain in album mode to increase the volume and then convert the files with WavPack. I think that's a very inconvenient procedure.

You're right, I can see how that would be inconvenient.

However, it would be pretty much the same thing if WavPack could do it natively. You would still have to have the whole album ripped in WAV files and WavPack would scan the whole album to determine the gain, and then use that information during the compression pass. There would not be that much gained (just the single write of the WAV data would be saved).

If the inconvenience is having to wait for the whole thing to complete, I would suggest perhaps creating some sort of batch file to automate it.

Unfortunately, I feel that if I added yet another way for WavPack to produce lossy files, it would just further confuse beginning WavPack users. 

Regards,
David

Reply #3
@db1989: you are right, of course, sorry!

@bryant: You are also right  . But only if some other circumstances are neglected. E.g tagging (now we are back to my original question). I usually rip with EAC directly to wv and add ID3V tags. If I could adjust the volume with a single run of wvgain, that would be finished. Now I have to rip to wav, adjust with wavegain, then insert tags with a file tagger (I'm not very good at tagging from the command line) and, finally, uff, convert with WavPack.

Well ok, I see your point, of course and I guess it would be a lot of work. So I will accept what I get - and that's very much! Thanks for your excellent work with WavPack!