Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How do I ask foobar2000 to scan new music (Read 24016 times) previous topic - next topic

How do I ask foobar2000 to scan new music

Newbee alert so please bear with me

I managed to set up the Library to point to my library, it is a largish library with about 20,000 tracks all Apple Lossles.  I believe it managed to find all my music.  Although I cannot really tell since I do not now how to display how many tracks I have.

I tried to add a couple of CDs tonight, I cannot find of a way to ask it to rescan or add manually.  I know it scans in the background.  So I waited for about 10 minutes and 4 of about 40 tracks showed up.  But after waiting for about 3 hours still nothing new.

How do I check what the scanner is doing?  And how do I ask it to scan manually OR tells it what music has been added? 

Reply #1
I am assuming that you have told Foobar to look in a particular directory(ies) for your music--this is the "library".  When I add new music and I want to access it right away, I just restart FB2K and that seems to force a new scan of the library.  Keep in mind that the new songs will only appear in whatever library viewer you are using and NOT in any playlists you have created.  Hope that helps.

Reply #2
Restarting should not be necessary. Foobar "watches" the directories in its Media Library and automatically detects newly music. On the local hard disk this happens nearly instantly (or with a short delay of some seconds), on network drives delays of some minutes have been reported in other threads. To see what currently is in your media library, use a library viewer like album list, media library search, facets (all for Default User Interface) or their correspondent panels for CUI.

Reply #3
if files aren't being added automatically, you may want to keep an eye on View -> Console.  if there are any errors scanning new files the library will write log entries to the Console.
You have to make sure your new files are in a watched folder and match up with your incoming file types (File menu -> Preferences -> Media Library).  This preferences window also tells you the status of each watched folder.

I suggest you use the Playback Statistics official plug in (foo_playcount), it adds excellent features.

With Playback Statistics, you'll be able to add an Autoplaylist or simply do a Library Search like this:
%added% DURING LAST 1 DAYS SORT DESCENDING BY %added%

I use this one for finding recently modified files (when updating tags, etc):
%last_modified% DURING LAST 24 HOURS SORT DESCENDING BY %last_modified%

Reply #4
I managed to set up the Library to point to my library, it is a largish library with about 20,000 tracks all Apple Lossles.  I believe it managed to find all my music.  Although I cannot really tell since I do not now how to display how many tracks I have.

Library->Album List
Right-click the All Music node, select Properties
Look in the titlebar of the Properties dialog.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #5
Thanks these are all very good tips.

I tried it in my work PC with only a few tracks on the local hard disk and it does capture the changes instantly

The problem is with my Home PC which has about 20,000 tracks and stored on a NAS.  When I tried it last night it did capture 4 tracks but seemed to have stopped after that.  I will take a look at the console tonight and see if it is upset about something.

But going back, isn't there a way to coax foobar into (a) rescan the library;  (b) scan and look for changes in a sub-folder;  ?

Reply #6
If by "NAS" you mean "External harddrive with Ethernet port" you're likely screwed.

What you'll need to do is update the version of samba that your tiny little Linux machine runs to a version of samba the inotify notifications that foobar2000 uses.

Depending on your device this could either be boarderline impossible or a huge hassle. Especially if you've never used linux before.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #7
If by "NAS" you mean "External harddrive with Ethernet port" you're likely screwed.

What you'll need to do is update the version of samba that your tiny little Linux machine runs to a version of samba the inotify notifications that foobar2000 uses.

Depending on your device this could either be boarderline impossible or a huge hassle. Especially if you've never used linux before.

Yes the NAS is a QNAP T219 pro, mapped from my Windows 7 PC with foobar2000.

When you say I am screwed you mean I will not be able to update new music?  It seemed to be able to look for new music but stopped at the forth track.  I just wanted a way to encourage it to keep scanning.

Reply #8
I mean that you likely won't be able to get root access to update samba to a newer version that has the filesystem features fb2k requires.  However This review of your device seems to indicate that you could very easily have access do so.

Whether your savvy enough with linux to do so is another matter, all together. I'm certainly not.
elevatorladylevitateme