Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Copytags for linux? (Read 5524 times) previous topic - next topic

Copytags for linux?

I've tried running CopyTags  on my linux machine using Wine but the linux pathnames confuse it.

Are there plans for a linux version?

Note: CopyTags is found here.
Music lover and recovering high end audiophile

Copytags for linux?

Reply #1
I've tried running CopyTags  on my linux machine using Wine but the linux pathnames confuse it.

Are there plans for a linux version?

Note: CopyTags is found here.

It's perhaps not entirely realistic to expect users of one OS to know the functions of an obscure application for another OS, or to expect them to obtain/boot a different OS and download an unknown program and work out what it does and why, just in order to discover what you're talking about.

Describe exactly what it does and maybe you'll get a more useful answer than this one:

Anyway, here is my assumption driven reply:

I assume your question is essentially about copying metadata into ape tags as wavpack uses those and the file you link is hosted on wavpack.com. There is a perfectly usable ape v2 tagger available at http://www.muth.org/Robert/Apetag/ and like vorbiscomment and metaflac it uses keys consisting of value pairs i.e. album=albumname, artist=artistname and so on.  This makes it very easy to copy vorbis and flac metadata to files using ape tags (because they use the same simple scheme of keys made of value pairs).  If you want to copy id3 or wma or mp4 tags automatically you will need to parse those and (probably using grep and awk) assign those to keys consisting of pairs of values which apetag can write to your wavpack file.  Suitable tools for extracting the metadata from any and all audio types would be ffprobe/ffmpeg or mediainfo, and a shell script would glue it all together and make it automatic.

Alternatively you could look at Ex Falso, a graphical application which uses python mutagen (mutagen seems to be the most complete and versatile audio metadata handling suite) to add, remove, copy, edit, import tags for multiple file types.  Whether it does what copytags does I don't know, you can find out more at Ex Falso

Copytags for linux?

Reply #3
Thanks for the responce Takla. I wasn't really asking "is something like this going to be done for linux". This is by the developer of the wavpack compression program and he has versions format available for both linux and windows. I was wondering if this particular program was going to be available for linux systems sometime. I would have PMed the author directly but that's considered rude on this board.

Thanks for the suggestions. I do use exfalso and love it a lot. Copytags is a command line batch processor that copies tags from one file to another, and i have over 10k files to process. I'll probably end up just writing a batch file and using the tools in wvunpack to gather the tags into variables, then apply them to the target files. Copytags would allow me to do it in one shot.  It might be easier to just copy all my files over to a Windows VM and process it there.

Canar, that looks really interesting and might do just what i need!  I'll ask my questions on that thread to keep convo flowing about it. Thanks!

Copytags for linux?

Reply #4
I'll take a look for the source of copytags and see (assuming I find it) whether or not I can make a quick version for Linux (I use Ubuntu). The wildcard feature may be a little tricky, but certainly handling one file should be easy. I'll also make sure the program is safe with larger tags (when I wrote it nobody was storing cover art in them).

In the meantime, I was able to get it work for single files on Linux under Wine using this rather non-obvious syntax (yes, the quotes and backslashes are required, don't ask me why it works until I look at the source):

Code: [Select]
wine ./copytags.exe "temp\Track01.wv" "temp\Track02.wv"

BTW, if you go the WavPack command-line route, using pipes save some time:

Code: [Select]
wvunpack Track01.wv -q -o - | wavpack - -o temp/Track02.wv

Of course, Caudec looks like it might do what you want too, and it would be faster.

Copytags for linux?

Reply #5
Thank you very much!  My problem with most taggers and tag copiers is that like using non-standard tags "producer, mastering, quality" etc. in my files so i know which are original master recordings or ambisonic UJH (or mastered by Rick Ruben so i can give them one star :"P )

Thank you so much for Wavpack and everything it is and most of all your responsivness to the communities. I do my own canvasing out there to encourage people to include support for it in their programs.

Copytags for linux?

Reply #6
Thank you very much!  My problem with most taggers and tag copiers is that like using non-standard tags "producer, mastering, quality" etc. in my files so i know which are original master recordings or ambisonic UJH (or mastered by Rick Ruben so i can give them one star :"P )
You won't need to worry about that with copytags because it actually just copies the whole block of tags verbatim...it does not even parse it (except maybe to find the size).

Thank you so much for Wavpack and everything it is and most of all your responsivness to the communities. I do my own canvasing out there to encourage people to include support for it in their programs.
Cool...thanks! 

Copytags for linux?

Reply #7
While having a native verson of copytags for linux would be great, i tried your wine command line with the quotes and backslashes and that seemed to work just fine.  Thank you!