Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar2000 v1.1.6 beta (Read 73247 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar2000 v1.1.6 beta

Edit on 2011-03-25:
foobar2000 v1.1.6 beta 2 is out.
  • foobar2000 now uses " / " string as multi-artist delimiter in ID3v2.3 artist fields.
  • Added an advanced preferences option to toggle between treating TPE2 as BAND or ALBUM ARTIST.

foobar2000 v1.1.6 beta 1 was just released.
  • Improved performance when playing very short tracks.
  • Improved tag compatibility with other software.
    • “Album artist” is mapped to ID3v2 TPE2 like in WMP/iTunes.
    • Support for iTunes “itunescompilation” tags, in MP3/ID3v2 and MP4.
    • ID3v2.3 tags are now written by default since version 2.4 seems to be widely ignored by software vendors.
    • Added support for multi-value WMA tags.
    • Special work-around for "AC/DC" artist in ID3v2.3.
  • Improved reading of MP3 encoding information headers written by alpha versions of LAME.
  • ReplayGain scanner now uses libebur128 for improved accuracy.

Download - Change Log

[edit]
Split Discussions not related to beta:
Muzack needs help with monitoring problem
Godrick asks an unrelated question about the Album list
Unrelated feature request #1
Clarifying the changes made with reading the ITUNESCOMPILATION frame
Rewriting tags rewrites "all" tag fields?

foobar2000 v1.1.6 beta

Reply #1
If you look back in many discussions here it is surprisingly to see that this release is lead to achieve more compliance with other programs instead of more compliance with specifications. However, very senseful to to be compliant with the "real" and de-facto standard. Good decision.

foobar2000 v1.1.6 beta

Reply #2
I'm just as surprised as the poster above...

Why the change of heart? Has the user-base been decreasing?

foobar2000 v1.1.6 beta

Reply #3
  • Improved tag compatibility with other software.

It seems that remapping MP3s should be considered. But, don't be too reckless  http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=83831

• ReplayGain scanner now uses libebur128 for improved accuracy.

Maybe installer could detect foo_r128scan, and disable it as redundant
And there is no option for selecting old RG scanner, hm...

foobar2000 v1.1.6 beta

Reply #4
How can I use the "new" %album artist% tag?

I have some files with a %band% tag, but it doesn't show if I use %album artist% and if I use %band% it doesn't show the %artist% tag if %band% isn't present

Confusing

foobar2000 v1.1.6 beta

Reply #5
Note that libeburl128 treats mono files as 1-channel file, and old fb2k replaygain - as stereo with left channel == right channel.

So, mono files will be ~3dB louder.

foobar2000 v1.1.6 beta

Reply #6
YES!

I applaud this update VERY MUCH!

foobar2000 v1.1.6 beta

Reply #7
  • ID3v2.3 tags are now written by default since version 2.4 seems to be widely ignored by software vendors.

whilst this is a good idea for new installs, i didn't like the way my setting was changed from 2.4 to 2.3 automatically when upgrading. i hope this won't happen with all future updates.

foobar2000 v1.1.6 beta

Reply #8
whilst this is a good idea for new installs, i didn't like the way my setting was changed from 2.4 to 2.3 automatically when upgrading. i hope this won't happen with all future updates.
This was introduced with the assumption that average users don't really know or care what the differences between these ID3v2 revisions are. If you have good reasons to use ID3v2.4, I'd like to hear them.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

foobar2000 v1.1.6 beta

Reply #10
The ID3v2 tagging changes are at least interesting. If the new system works fine it'll save me from doing the additional step of changing the format to 2.3 with Mp3tag (in my experience the old compatibility mode didn't maintain all externally tagged tags correctly).

I am not so sure if I like the Replay Gain scanner change. I have been quite happy with the old implementation during the last few years. I did some limited testing with the R128 component over a month ago and I noticed some differences in the results that were not exactly to my liking, but I did not have time to further investigate the issue and take part in the discussions. I did not expect it to replace the old implementation.

foobar2000 v1.1.6 beta

Reply #11
While I understand that compatibility is important, I'm sad to see that classical music is being ignored completely by the change to using TPE2 for the ALBUM ARTIST. It was already ignored by other vendors, now foobar can be added to that list. Where am I expected to store the orchestra now?
I realize it's a problem for the other vendors to fix, but that won't happen. Using foobar as the ideal tagging application has now been made history because all classical music will now be listed under the orchestra instead of the composer on audio devices. Luckily this can at least be fixed manually for foobar but still...

foobar2000 v1.1.6 beta

Reply #12
Does the AC/DC workaround only work for AC/DC or any artist or tag with a / in? I have quite a few other artists and albums with slashes.

Where am I expected to store the orchestra now?

I use %performer% - I don't know what frame that lives in. I put %composer%; %conductor%; %performer% in %album artist%, if %performer% is multi-valued then I just put it as a comma separated list in %album artist%. Oh and %artist% = %composer% for compatibility with last.fm. I know I'm not following the ID3 standard but it works for me.

foobar2000 v1.1.6 beta

Reply #13
If you have good reasons to use ID3v2.4, I'd like to hear them.

mainly to have the / support in tags. i don't have any AC/DC in my collection but i do have other artists with a /. and to answer Tom's question above, the workaround only works for AC/DC.

i only ever use foobar2000 on my PC and my portable supports id3v2.4 also.

foobar2000 v1.1.6 beta

Reply #14
Does the AC/DC workaround only work for AC/DC or any artist or tag with a / in? I have quite a few other artists and albums with slashes.

...such as?
elevatorladylevitateme

foobar2000 v1.1.6 beta

Reply #16
I have some files with a %band% tag, but it doesn't show if I use %album artist%

Reload info from tags as instructed at the bottom of this page.

thanks, but nope this didn't help

for example
I use grouping in my playlist: %album artist% - %album%
when I listen to some soundtracks with different %artist% I added an %album artist% tag, even if it already had a %band% tag

but even after a "reload" the group won't show the %band% tag (after I removed the %album artist% tag

foobar2000 v1.1.6 beta

Reply #17

...such as?

Slash

OK, seriously now. Creating a workaround for one particular artist here really sounds like a weird idea, because obviously there will be more artists with a "/" sign in their names, even if you can't recall any.

Because noone ever said you can't have a "/" in your band name

foobar2000 v1.1.6 beta

Reply #18
Actually, those who wrote the ID3v2.3 spec said exactly that!
But yeah, a single-instance workaround isn’t a good idea, IMHO. Although it will relieve shakey_snake of the responsibility of having to paste that long list of topics written by confused AC/DC fans

Overall, I can see why such changes were implemented, but they wouldn’t be necessary if the ID3v2 standards and various implementations thereof weren’t so discrepant. In a way, it’s laudable that the developers tried to adhere to the standards for so long, but perhaps it just didn’t seem worth it any more.

foobar2000 v1.1.6 beta

Reply #19
In polish rap the / is very common for collaborations. Dunno how for other world.

Let me understand, does this fix repair allow these names to be displayed as one and not separating with a semicolon?

foobar2000 v1.1.6 beta

Reply #20
Peter is planning on removing the AC/DC workaround and instead write different character in place of /. I'm against the change and have suggested him to not treat / as multivalue separator in ID3v2.3 artist field at all and allow it as is. Is anyone against that suggestion?

foobar2000 v1.1.6 beta

Reply #22
Yeah. Can't still get to work few artists. After installation of 1.1.6 editing tags ended for me with "_" instead of "/". Last.fm fan here.

foobar2000 v1.1.6 beta

Reply #23
Support for iTunes “itunescompilation” tags, in MP3/ID3v2 and MP4.

Does this mean foobar also writes to the itunescompilation flag if 'Various Artists' is set in the Album Artist field? Or does foobar only read this flag? For me, writing would be great.

foobar2000 v1.1.6 beta

Reply #24
Does this mean foobar also writes to the itunescompilation flag if 'Various Artists' is set in the Album Artist field?

No. It was determined that even iTunes ignores its own flag if album artist is set.